Demiromantic or Grayromantic?

mxlky.way

I've only had a 3 instances of romantic attraction in my lifetime (I'm 17) and all of these were people I had gotten really close to and these lasted more than a year on average. I'm not attracted to people just by appearance and the last time I liked anyone romantically was 2 years ago. I'm not if my experiences align me more towards demi romantic or gray romantic. I'm also not too clear on the difference. Or is this normal? Am I just hetero-romantic? 

AVEN #1 fan
  • Gray-(a)romantic is an umbrella term for those who rarely experience attraction under (un)certain circumstances and have low romantic drives.
  • Demiromantic is another umbrella, and is also under the gray-(a)romantic umbrella, these folks only feel attraction for those who they have emotional bonds with or admiration towards.

Ahh that makes sense, I think I lean more towards demi romantic then thank you! 

AVEN #1 fan
39 minutes ago, mxlky.way said:

Ahh that makes sense, I think I lean more towards demi romantic then thank you! 

Np,  you can use both terms.

SamwiseLovesLife
On 25/03/2017 at 3:15 AM, mxlky.way said:

I've only had a 3 instances of romantic attraction in my lifetime (I'm 17) and all of these were people I had gotten really close to and these lasted more than a year on average. I'm not attracted to people just by appearance and the last time I liked anyone romantically was 2 years ago. I'm not if my experiences align me more towards demi romantic or gray romantic. I'm also not too clear on the difference. Or is this normal? Am I just hetero-romantic? 

I definately relate to this. If you don't count character crushes (I wouldn't) then I have maybe felt romantic attraction towards 5/6 people in my lifetime, maybe 4 during my school years and 1 since. It's hard to quantify and I'm sometimes unsure If I'm only remembering these as romantic feelings if they weren't really. Sometimes I think maybe these are just squishes, strong feelings for a strong emotional bond within platonic boundaries.

My guess is it will become clear in time :)

I consider my myself gray-aromantic because I've only been romantically attracted to two people in my life (I'm 28) and I think I might be demiromantic because those crushes were personality-based, and I could not imagine having a crush based on physical appearance alone or on a celebrity. It's kind of hard to say, though, given my limited experience with romantic attraction in general.

Neither for myself. The definition you'll find if you google "metaromantic" is not that useful, but suits me better than any other aromantic or quasiromantic label I've found.

The real reason I gravitate toward "metaromantic" is the book "Metaromanticism" by Paul Hamilton. See the review by Brian Tucker http://edoc.hu-berlin.de/hostings/athenaeum/documents/athenaeum/2006-16/tucker-brian-225/PDF/tucker.pdf, who speaks of the book's "rethinking of romanticism in the wake of the ideology critiques launched by deconstruction and new historicism." Hamilton "wants to find an historicizing, self-distancing ideology critique within romantic discourse."

Archived