Stealth at Job?

nerdperson777

nerdperson777

So this week I got a job, which is why I wasn't on much.  I was interviewed last Friday and told that they would have a verdict that afternoon or by Monday.  I got a call later that Friday that I got the job.  It's a really good first job for me.  It's part-time, the hours are flexible (I was basically asked on the phone when I wanted to come in) and I could work from home sometimes.  I can also go to all my martial arts classes no problem without any time conflicts.  It doesn't pay as well as I would like and it's far but I needed experience more than anything.

The thing was, I applied for the position with the title on my resume being C. "Calvin" [Last Name].  On Saturday, I got an email from whichever site does the paying to fill in my legal details.  There was Calvin that was automatically filled out on the site and then I filled out my legal name in "Legal Name (if different)".  It asked for my bank account number so I thought it would be paid by direct deposit.  Then on the first day, the COO (this is a small startup) said something about a check instead.  I went through this whole week basically stealth as a binary male.  (I wasn't sure if it was even possible to work stealth because of legal information.)  Or when my voice went up, no one really paid attention.  I kept my voice low most of the time.  So I'm not really sure if I need to come out to my co-workers.  If my pay is through a check, I doubt that I can cash it into the bank if it's not my legal name.  Even if I do luck out and it is by direct deposit, do they need to know?  They might need it for company tax purposes since I'm not sure my info was actually seen by them.  Everything I've done to get hired other than filling out forms could be done by an undocumented person.  I could be overthinking that last part.

My binary friend suggested that I get my legal gender (and name I assume) changed to male as soon as possible.  She didn't do it yet so she probably couldn't help me.  But since I'm not binary, I'm not sure if I'd be wasting my time waiting for the X gender or whatever letter would be used for someone who wasn't male or female.  Apparently Oregon already has it.

Usually the first week or two's wages are by check until they can process direct deposit, so after the first week or two, you should be fine.  As for the first check or two, I would discretely go to HR and ask if they can put the "pay to" as "Calvin _____ c/o (your legal name here)".  They shouldn't have too much of an issue with that considering you're showing up to their office in person to ask for this change, so there shouldn't be any issue of fraud.  Good luck!! :D 

nerdperson777
5 minutes ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Usually the first week or two's wages are by check until they can process direct deposit, so after the first week or two, you should be fine.  As for the first check or two, I would discretely go to HR and ask if they can put the "pay to" as "Calvin _____ c/o (your legal name here)".  They shouldn't have too much of an issue with that considering you're showing up to their office in person to ask for this change, so there shouldn't be any issue of fraud.  Good luck!! :D 

The place is a startup so there's only 11 people they say.  That's what they told me during the interview so I could be the 12th.  Either way I think I would have to ask my supervisor since I have no idea who would be HR, the COO?  The receptionist/security officer?  My supervisor?

AVEN #1 fan

I never understood this, there are currently as many Trans man as Trans woman out there according to a few currently researches, but in my country, 90% of the Trans women end up in the sex industry bc they get rejected from schools,  jobs, etc. And the same doesn't happen to Trans men. I mean why?  (off course Trans men end up in the sex industry and rejected from everywhere, but that's only a minority)

Maybe bc Trans men are men ? Maybe bc they "pass" better? Maybe bc they're invisible ?

Why Trans men get less rejected by society ?

butterflydreams
1 hour ago, nerdperson777 said:

If my pay is through a check, I doubt that I can cash it into the bank if it's not my legal name.

This isn't true. For months I was getting expenses checks from work made out to my new name, while my legal name was still unchanged. I thought it would be an issue, and I'm still unsure how it isn't, but the bank didn't seem to care at all. They could've written "pay to the order of: Sigourney Weaver" and I probably still could've deposited it. I think you'll be good. These days, checks are essentially wire electronic transfers. They're basically only concerned with the account from and account to and the routing numbers. If there's any issue with anything, they treat it like any other electronic transfer (think debit card) dispute, but it's always on the behalf of the payer, not the payee.

One thing that helped me in navigating these questions was to just look up what married people have done when changing their name. That's super common and LOTS of people talk about it online.

nerdperson777

I guess I'll just keep quiet for now then and see what happens.  But I can ask the bank to be sure.

For what it's worth, pay-cheques often come in envelopes. They may have an envelope addressed to "Calvin" and then the pay-cheque inside have the legal name. At least, that's what I'd do. After all, it's considered a breach of privacy in most places to let others see how much they are paying you, so they'll likely find a way to not have the cheque just lying around for anyone to see, one way or another.

nerdperson777

I went to the bank today to ask and they said that it has to match my account name so if I really wanted to have it with that name, I might have to create another bank account. I guess I'll have to ask my supervisor once again about whether the payment is by check or direct deposit. 

Archived