Calling Writers and Authors! (NaNoWriMo 2017).

Ricki

I'm a bit late to the party with posting about this, however the old pinned thread kept my interested in Camp NaNoWriMo

For those that don't know, you can set your own word count goal, have the option of being put in 12 person supportive/idea sharing groups called cabins, and generally have flexibility in what you're allowed to do. You don't have to show people your work, but it's a nice place to discuss.

I'm altering it a bit, as not everyone wants to sign up to this site, however if anyone does NanoWriMo this year, here is the place to group up and discuss ideas, work together and help keep each other motivated!

I'm very tempted to give it a crack, and know a couple of others are too.

For those that don't want to sign up, but feel you are doing something similar then feel free to join in the convo and lets get this party started!

I did it last year and it was so worth it. Can't wait to do it this year!

I've never tried it, so I'm sort of blobbing about the site :D 

@KendraPM You already got a plan for this year?

Oh also @miereaie was the one who pinged me to remember to do this thread, so tagging you in, just in case :lol:

binary suns

What should I do right now to prepare myself for a nonorimo endeaver? I've wanted to take one but I'm hesitent and unsure. I do not have any clear idea of what I'd do even!

19 minutes ago, Meow. said:

What should I do right now to prepare myself for a nonorimo endeaver? I've wanted to take one but I'm hesitent and unsure. I do not have any clear idea of what I'd do even!

From what I can make out, then you can pick some pre-set targets, which might help point you in the right direction. Or make your own targets up and work towards that :D. Maybe first look at what genre you want to write, and what style you'll take (as in Terry Pratchett's fantasy is very different to George RR Martins)!

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

Sounds interesting! I'll give it a look, it's been awhile since I wrote so I might not be that good. 

Ah yay, writing pals! :D this is exciting!

Camp is fun because it doesn't have to be as intense as regular NaNoWriMo - you get to set your own goals, and it doesn't matter if it's "no good" because the main thing is that you're writing something! :D This year I want to write something about being ace, I'm not sure what yet, but something haha... We'll see how that goes :P 

6 hours ago, Ricchan said:

I'm a bit late to the party with posting about this, however the old pinned thread kept my interested in Camp NaNoWriMo

For those that don't know, you can set your own word count goal, have the option of being put in 12 person supportive/idea sharing groups called cabins, and generally have flexibility in what you're allowed to do. You don't have to show people your work, but it's a nice place to discuss.

I'm altering it a bit, as not everyone wants to sign up to this site, however if anyone does NanoWriMo this year, here is the place to group up and discuss ideas, work together and help keep each other motivated!

I'm very tempted to give it a crack, and know a couple of others are too.

For those that don't want to sign up, but feel you are doing something similar then feel free to join in the convo and lets get this party started!

Is this like a real camp? 

If so does it cost money? 

I've been forming a writing habit for myself with fanfiction, I don't really have any set goals. I also feel like the official NaM?? is too intense for me. Sometimes personal things throw me off (dysphoria in particular). On my bad days I tend to draw more than write, though some of the best writing actually comes out of having some off days. 

binary suns
23 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

Is this like a real camp? 

If so does it cost money? 

a national adventure I suppose. self-starting and self-regulating, tho I am sure the community has many tools to offer and techniques to suggest. 

http://nanowrimo.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Novel_Writing_Month

8 hours ago, Ricchan said:

@KendraPM You already got a plan for this year?

Yep! I'm excited about it! I'm starting a new novel :) You have a plan?

40 minutes ago, KendraPM said:

Yep! I'm excited about it! I'm starting a new novel :) You have a plan?

Not a very good plan, though I might seize the opportunity to work on a fantasy book :D

7 hours ago, Toothlesss said:

I've been forming a writing habit for myself with fanfiction, I don't really have any set goals. I also feel like the official NaM?? is too intense for me. Sometimes personal things throw me off (dysphoria in particular). On my bad days I tend to draw more than write, though some of the best writing actually comes out of having some off days. 

With Camp I always feel like it's nice just to have other people writing with you, rather than setting goals - but no worries if you don't want to participate! :) What fanfiction are you writing?

Also, I love your username/icon. How To Train Your Dragon is one of my absolute favourite movies, ever! I especially love the soundtrack haha. It's also an excellent writing soundtrack, it's do dramatic! :D 

1 minute ago, miereaie said:

What fanfiction are you writing?

I have 3 ongoing and another one that I'm still working on. 

It's in my signature- but here's the link for those that have signatures turned off: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5231656/ 

That's one of the main reasons I wanted to alter it this year. I know a lot of people don't want to deal with the hassle of the site, or it doesn't fit what they want. But potentially this thread could be used to talk about your work you've done :P

(Also your fanfic's are really good)! 

@Toothless I really liked Distress - I can't wait to see where it goes next! :) Hopefully I'll find time to read your other ones too (it's good for procrastinating, so I almost definitely will haha)

50,000 words in a month is 1667 words a day. That is intense! I can see the theory, though. There's a lot to be said for just getting a draft done.

I'm starting to get quite excited about starting writing soon! :D (To be honest I'm already writing, but I'm looking forward to it counting towards my word count haha.) I've decided I'm more than likely just going to write a series of (unrelated) short stories - it's been a while since I've written anything, so I want to ease myself back into it!

I'm also thinking of doing NaPoWriMo (national poetry writing month) on the side, since I'll be reducing my Camp word count. Anyone else writing poetry this year? :) 

I'm awful at poetry, so I won't be doing that :D

I'd probably end up doing something like

"When the beans,
Are eaten by teens,
Oh how they preen,
as they vent their spleen" 

Which is several levels of awful :lol: 

@Ricchan Ahahaha I love it! :'D I'm pretty rubbish at poetry too, but I enjoy writing it as long as no one reads it, so it's just a personal project really :)

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:21 PM, Ricchan said:

Not a very good plan, though I might seize the opportunity to work on a fantasy book :D

I'm a pantser, so my plan is more of a concept/world with the knowledge that my main character is female and somewhere in her late teens to early twenties. I also have about 6 other characters that I know very little about. No names, no idea whose friend and whose foe, no real idea what's going to happen beyond MC doesn't want her magic activated.

7 hours ago, KendraPM said:

I'm a pantser, so my plan is more of a concept/world with the knowledge that my main character is female and somewhere in her late teens to early twenties. I also have about 6 other characters that I know very little about. No names, no idea whose friend and whose foe, no real idea what's going to happen beyond MC doesn't want her magic activated.

That sounds like an interesting baseline, at least :P

I have built a lot of my world out and picked out some key characters, with all their character bios plotted out.... and then decided to go back and write a novella, which I have almost 0 plans for :D 

It's time for camping!

I've participated in Camp Nano last year, and I find it highly motivating. Due to my full schedule this year I'm going to write less words than usual, but I don't want to miss it. I think I'm going to continue my unfinished novel from the last NaNoWriMo. It's been begging me to come back to it for months!

3 hours ago, Marilena said:

It's time for camping!

I've participated in Camp Nano last year, and I find it highly motivating. Due to my full schedule this year I'm going to write less words than usual, but I don't want to miss it. I think I'm going to continue my unfinished novel from the last NaNoWriMo. It's been begging me to come back to it for months!

Good plan! 

I don't intend to write the huge amounts they are looking at, but I guess I'm more using it as an excuse to get into writing again... It's been so long.

jOINING NOW

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:50 AM, Ricchan said:

That sounds like an interesting baseline, at least :P

I have built a lot of my world out and picked out some key characters, with all their character bios plotted out.... and then decided to go back and write a novella, which I have almost 0 plans for :D 

...I responded to this, I know I did. o.O Where did my reply go?

Those "starting from scratch" novels are usually the best. :) 

I've gotten some of my characters semi-made, basic things like rough ages, some orientations, some physical looks, and some of them I know just a touch about their background...well, I know about one guy's divorce and one guys grandmother's reaction to him coming out as trans, but I know very little about where either of those guys (or anyone else) are going to fall into the plot.

i've never participated but i would like to this year. is NaNoWriMo in november?

3 minutes ago, Bad said:

i've never participated but i would like to this year. is NaNoWriMo in november?

I believe (but the more experienced people may know better), there's one going on currently, and I think also one that happens in November.

Archived