are you conscious?

binary suns

poll  

58 members have voted

1. 1. title

• well duh lol
    • yes I am consious
    • right now I am definitely conscious, but soon I will not be lol, woe is me!
    • no, I am not consious

This poll is closed to new votes

Also needs 'I have no way of knowing for sure because maybe that's just what my brain wants me to think'.

binary suns

those would be too obvious tho :P

Sleepy Skeleton

For some reason I read "conscious" as "couscous"... and I'd like that to be my answer.

Anthracite_Impreza

Erm, I believe so.

I answered no. I'm actually writing this from another dimension where thought and matter are one and the same.

chair jockey

I don't understand the question.

Grumpy Alien

I might be dreaming.

2 hours ago, Lacey. said:

For some reason I read "conscious" as "couscous"... and I'd like that to be my answer.

Oh my god!! :lol: hahaha

Dammit I really want some couscous now!

As for the question at hand: Probably. But I guess it's always possible that my entire existence is actually an elaborate but incredibly boring dream.

J. van Deijck

nah. I permanently have no clue ._.

Since I have just spent five minutes staring into space, trying to remember the thing I was supposed to be thinking, I voted no.

16 hours ago, Lacey. said:

I'm a couscous:P, but seriously consciousness seems to be a non-existing thing. I'm just much more complicated than things some people call "unconscious"

Depends.

Conscious

-Con-scious-

adj 1. Having an awareness of one's environment and one's own existence, thoughts, and sensations

adj 2. mentally perceptive, alert, or awake.

adj 3. capable of thought, will, or perception.

So in some ways yes, always, in other's only sometimes, or partly.

It doesn't really make much of a difference, does it?

All I know is that being awake is different than being asleep, for example. Yet maybe the state in which we are during sleep is consciousness...

"What if I'm already dead

How would I know"

(Noel Gallagher - "Stop The Clocks")

AshenPhoenix
2 hours ago, Kelly said:

Cogito, ergo sum.

Ego sum vox nihili.

As conscious as I can be. My brain told me I'm conscious but maybe my brain is just a liar.

Brains – mine included – deceive us regularily.

Need an easy and quick example? Think of the last dream in which you weren't aware it was a dream (aka non-lucid). Dreams are accepted as reality at the time they happen in your head. Reality could just as well be (as stated before) a very elaborate dream-like experience.

Maybe consciousness doesn't exist at all and reality including our thoughts is scripted and ultimately only serves one purpose which likely nobody on this planet will ever find out. Or it was scripted in a way which prevents us of getting there.

Spoiler

It could be just an extremely detailed simulation which needs to advance to a certain point.

– Made by unknown.

Our consciousness could just as well be influenced by our hard-wired organic programming and events happening in our surroundings to the extent of actually being non-conscious beings, but under the impression of the thoughts that are triggered in us "conscious". A mental butterfly effect with a side effect basically.

And with this thought-fuel, I shall leave this thread.

Tell me if you figured out the question and then the answer to it. :P

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

Yes very much so on a daily basis, unless I get sick which is very rare.

• 1 year later...

@float on

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived