Help With Watercolour. Imma Newb.

Moophie

Heeeeyyyy, so I've been wanting to get into watercolour paints for a while now. There was a huge sale at a craft store so I bought some of the cheaper material to start off with.

I've been messing around so far and it's fun. But when the paint dries on the paper, it leaves a dusty, chalky residue. Is that normal? If so, what should I do to avoid smudging it?

Here's what I'm using:

Paints - Artist's Loft palette 

Paper - Strathmore 300 cold press, 140 lb

Please help if you can. I really want to get into this.

Watercolour'ssssooooo pweeeeeeeeeeettyyyyyyy... also I tried to google this and came up with NOTHING.

Hii! The chalky residue is due to you have student grade paints, this mean the manufacturer uses more filler than pigment so you have a chalky residue left over as a result, there is not real way to fix this other than buying more expensive paint? Some good starter student grades are the Sakura pallet, Reeves if you can get it and the Windsor and Newton Cotman series. Your paper is really nice though so stick with that! I love watercolour too so message me if you have any questions! (or just want to talk about paint i LOVE it) 

@mxlky.way Aww... poo. I really don't have the funds for fancier stuff right now. Maybe down the road. I do have to say, despite the filler, the colour is really awesome.

What if I seal it with a spray sealer? The stuff that smells real bad.

Thanks for the help, though! I don't really know much about paint, but I can try to chat about it. ;p

Personally I wouldn't just because it might stain later (and the smell is absolutely awful) but it will remove the chalky-ness if that's what you're after. I say embrace it! Yeah honestly the best part about cheaper stuff is that you aren't afraid to use it and make mistakes, if you buy the artist quality too early you'll probably be too scared to use it and never get any better :) 

On 2017-03-24 at 5:10 AM, mxlky.way said:

Personally I wouldn't just because it might stain later (and the smell is absolutely awful) but it will remove the chalky-ness if that's what you're after. I say embrace it! Yeah honestly the best part about cheaper stuff is that you aren't afraid to use it and make mistakes, if you buy the artist quality too early you'll probably be too scared to use it and never get any better :) 

Cool, thanks! I've given it a try. So far the result is fine, but could be better. I might post some of it here...

It seems like the fewer layers of paint, the less severe the chalkiness.

Archived