Health Care Bill Vote Slips to Tomorrow

Perissodactyla

Perissodactyla

Health Care Bill Negotiations Continue as Vote Slips to Tomorrow

Right now, there are more than enough House Republicans opposed to the health-care bill to kill it

U.S. senators advised House vote on healthcare unlikely before Monday-aide

U.S. senators have been informed by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell that a vote on a Republican repeal and replacement of Obamacare might not be held in the House of Representatives before Monday, according to a senior Senate aide.

The House had hoped to vote on Thursday on the controversial measure, but has lacked the votes for passage.

MARCH 23, 2017

House Session Members debated a same-day rule to allow them to consider the Republicans bill to replace the Affordable Care Act

https://www.c-span.org/video/?425605-1/health-care-bill-negotiations-continue-vote-slips-tomorrow

Why are Republicans moving so fast on health care?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/03/23/why-are-republicans-moving-so-fast-on-health-care/

hT3bZes.jpg

Yeah, good luck with that, American friends.

Don't forget to contact your local representatives and such.

CitizenSmith

My reps are Democrats and have already committed to voting 'no' but if your Congressman is Republican or otherwise undecided, CALL THEM.

Calls 'for' or 'against' an issue get recorded and are counted at the end of the day. If a significant number of constituents express opposition or support for an issue, it CAN influence votes. 

Be sure to call YOUR Congressman and ONLY your Congressman. If you are not a constituent, then your opinion will not be recorded and you will be holding up a phone line while people who actually live in that district are trying to call. There are limited phone lines and limited staff to answer the phones. Constituents get priority. Don't try to be sneaky and call multiple offices. 

Perissodactyla

k3wqqJ6.png

As Republicans Mutiny, Ryan Warns He Can’t Pass Health Bill

Paul Ryan Rushes to White House to Tell Drumpf Votes Are Lacking to Repeal Obamacare

1:03 PM ET

• House Speaker Paul D. Ryan, facing a revolt among conservative and moderate Republicans, rushed to the White House to confer with President Drumpf on whether to pull the bill.
  • Mr. Drumpf had demanded the vote scheduled for Friday, but House leaders were leaning against such a public loss.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/24/us/politics/health-care-affordable-care-act.html

How House Republicans Are Planning to Vote on the Obamacare Replacement

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/03/20/us/politics/health-care-whip-count.html

Well, supposedly the vote will come in an hour.  

This administration just keeps getting more ridiculous by the minute.  

Perissodactyla

Drumpf’s First Legislative Effort Fails as G.O.P. Pulls Bill to Repeal Obamacare

MARCH 24, 2017

Minority Leader Pelosi on Affordable Care Act Replacement House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) spoke with reporters following news that Republicans decided to call off a vote on their health care bill. The legislation was intended to replace the Affordable Care Act.

Video:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?425978-1/house-minority-leader-nancy-pelosi-reacts-decision-pull-gop-health-care-bill&live

Trump has claimed that it's the Democrats' fault that the bill failed.   Ha -- the Republicans couldn't muster the votes from their own party to pass it.  

I wish Paul Ryan weren't so spineless and he actually delivered on his promises instead of caving to Trump.

If they were smart, they would have introduced a full repeal / no replacement bill. The Democrats would, of course, filabuster it, and the GOP would have negotiated down from there.

Yourcaptain, this wasn't the Dems' or Paul Ryan's fault -- the extreme wing and the moderate wing of the Republicans couldn't agree on the plan -- they were very far apart.   Paul Ryan has only one vote.  

Joe the Stoic
54 minutes ago, yourcaptaiin said:

I wish Paul Ryan weren't so spineless and he actually delivered on his promises instead of caving to Trump.

If they were smart, they would have introduced a full repeal / no replacement bill. The Democrats would, of course, filabuster it, and the GOP would have negotiated down from there.

A full repeal would have failed to secure the moderate Republicans who wants a sensible replacement.  ACA repeal was a doomed idea, and Mr. Negotiator couldn't cut a good deal within his own party.  That's a bad test for when he says he's going to take on Mexico and China.

The Republicans have tried at least 60 times to repeal Obamacare without a replacement, including tries during the last 2 years when they've controlled Congress.  They couldn't get the votes.  

23 minutes ago, Joe Parrish said:

A full repeal would have failed to secure the moderate Republicans who wants a sensible replacement.

I know. I was suggesting it as an opening gambit, rather than an actual proposal. They propose it, knowing that it won't pass, but negotiate with the Democrats to get a more bipartisan solution that still accomplishes their goals.

15 minutes ago, yourcaptaiin said:

I know. I was suggesting it as an opening gambit, rather than an actual proposal. They propose it, knowing that it won't pass, but negotiate with the Democrats to get a more bipartisan solution that still accomplishes their goals.

They're not going to negotiate with the Democrats.  

Joe the Stoic
21 minutes ago, yourcaptaiin said:

I suspect that the Democrats would have filibustered it to death.  Turning their backs on Obamacare and negotiating away would have likely caused them grief in their own party.

Good this wasn't doing anything that the conservatives actually wanted it to do anyway. Getting rid of one part of the problem wasn't going to do much if we didn't also have the clause to open the healthcare market across state lines. If they'd get some of the moderates to sit down and shut up we might actually get a decent bill that keeps some of the helpful provisions (pre-existing conditions, and the higher age to stay on parents healthcare) but actually does something useful for the country.

Joe the Stoic
54 minutes ago, Cimmerian said:

Good this wasn't doing anything that the conservatives actually wanted it to do anyway. Getting rid of one part of the problem wasn't going to do much if we didn't also have the clause to open the healthcare market across state lines. If they'd get some of the moderates to sit down and shut up we might actually get a decent bill that keeps some of the helpful provisions (pre-existing conditions, and the higher age to stay on parents healthcare) but actually does something useful for the country.

Even trading across state lines could be a bit of a Pandora's Box because it would create lot of confusion about which state's regulations come into play.

All the more reason to have a simple, single-payer system, I say.

15 minutes ago, Joe Parrish said:

Even trading across state lines could be a bit of a Pandora's Box because it would create lot of confusion about which state's regulations come into play.

All the more reason to have a simple, single-payer system, I say.

I don't expect it to be without it's own problems, but I expect it'd be a lot more cost-effective for people to get what they actually want out of their plans.

Joe the Stoic
7 minutes ago, Cimmerian said:

I don't expect it to be without it's own problems, but I expect it'd be a lot more cost-effective for people to get what they actually want out of their plans.

It's possible.  It's also possible that insurers would just merge and dominate the national market instead of just state markets.  I don't know that it would actually fix anything. =/

ChillaKilla
55 minutes ago, Joe Parrish said:

It's possible.  It's also possible that insurers would just merge and dominate the national market instead of just state markets.  I don't know that it would actually fix anything. =/

But would such a merger be permitted? That's potential for future monopolization of healthcare. If it's nationalized, that isn't a problem.

4 hours ago, Cimmerian said:

Single-payer systems work in just about every other first world country.

Although I'm beginning to  not consider the US as a first world country.  

3 hours ago, ChillaKilla said:

But would such a merger be permitted? That's potential for future monopolization of healthcare. If it's nationalized, that isn't a problem.

Yes, it would be permitted.  The Catholic Church is busily buying up health care systems all  over the country and there's no law against it.  

They are not going to give up on destroying the health care system.

Perissodactyla

I can't get over this quote from @RepJoeBarton after the #AHCA failed.

Aex2xNY.jpg

'The Bill Is Over': House GOP Pulls Health Care Bill Before Sure Defeat

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/leadership-pulls-obamacare-repeal

Why Republicans were in such a hurry on health care

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/03/25/why-republicans-were-in-such-a-hurry-on-health-care/

• 1 month later...

I think our health care system has a lot of serious issues.Such as proper management of medical equipment, scheduling, and wait times. Once I had a serious injury I had to apply to the private 24 hour immediate care near me https://frontlineer.com/ in Dallas 'coz there is no waiting period and it's available 24/7. Since that time I prefer to attend the private clinics only. 

• 1 month later...
Perissodactyla

We asked 8 Senate Republicans to explain what their health bill is trying to do

6/16/2017

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/16/15810524/senate-ahca-explain-please

I’ve covered Obamacare since day one. I’ve never seen lying and obstruction like this.

6/15/2017

https://www.vox.com/health-care/2017/6/15/15807986/obamacare-lies-obstruction

Trump betraying all his health care promises is the biggest Trump scandal of all

6/16/2017

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/16/15807806/trump-breaking-health-promises

Archived