I'm at a crossroads

SorryNotSorry

SorryNotSorry

Without going into detail (because some of you would find it upsetting), I have a decision looming before me.

First option is to go with my gut. If I do this, there's a good chance it will benefit others besides myself, though I probably won't stand to gain financially from it, and it will piss a few people off because it entails breaking some rules.

The other option is to go with the bottom line. This will likewise involve breaking some rules, and it will benefit others but will probably piss off more people than it would please. The hitch is, it could potentially make a LOT of money for me.

I'm leaning toward the former.. I'd only give the latter a shot if the former fails miserably.

What would you choose... to do something unprofitable but nice, or do something profitable but not very nice?

Personally I think that if you've got the opportunity to do something nice (especially if the other option is to do something not nice), then you should absolutely do it.

I wouldn't judge it by nice v not so nice. To me it's a question of gut v bottom line. I'd absolutely do it "my way", which is definitely not by the gut (might be different for you, of course).

Then there is the question of how likely the potential event you're talking about is to happen. Is the amount you'd gain worth pissing off more people in the process (especially if you attempt to do it this way, but eventually fail to make the extra amount of money - people would still be pissed because you went for it in the first place). Do the people you would piss off matter to you. Is there any chance to hide that it was you who pissed them off :D

That kind of thing.

SorryNotSorry

Well, to put it one way, I wouldn't want to be independently wealthy if it meant being (deservedly) treated rudely and getting dirty looks everywhere I went.

Diamond Ace of Hearts

I think go for the money. People who really know and care about you will know your true character. Anyone whose views of you change because of one decision to do the smart thing maybe didn't think that highly of you in the first place.

Go with the decision that lets you sleep soundly at night.  That's my default philosophy.

chair jockey

The structure of real life is malformed and broken in such a way that only sleazy dishonesty leads to success. What you're really choosing is between success and honesty, and I consider both to be valid choices. (My choice is honesty but that doesn't mean anything about your choices, because I don't judge you either way.)

Perissodactyla

Your description of your dilemma is way too vague for anyone to give you useful feedback.

Since it sounds quite serious, I recommend talking to a qualified advisor who you trust and who is professional.

Find an attorney, a psychologist, a spiritual advisor soon.

Your clean conscience and peace-of-mind are the most precious things you have in this life.

Perhaps there are options for you that you have not yet considered.

Perhaps the way you present your final decision to those who are affected by it will help the final outcome seem just and fair and moral to the most people... including yourself.

Life is full of dilemmas, so you are learning something important from this process which will serve you well later.

Do the right thing, of course, but do the right thing by thinking this through with a professional who you trust.

World doesn't reward "being nice" past superficial feelings. Always do things that benifit you (legally). The profits always outweight the cons. 

All that other shit like "being viewed negatively" is completly false. No one knows unless you tell them. No one cares otherwise. Money can solve 90% of your problems. Go and get it.

Archived