Pre-emptive strike against North Korea?

ThaHoward

With the growing capabilities of North Korea, do you believe that USA/PRC/UN/who else should launch a military operation to ensure that they don't get nuclear and ballistic capabilities to strike their neighbours or even US? 

ChillaKilla

No. We have too many allies in the area who would probably get dragged in regardless of whether they wanted to or not. We aren't even in the geographic area concerned. If anyone is likely to be the initial victim of nuclear/ballistic capabilities it's gonna be South Korea, China and Japan. They should be the ones to deal with it. If they want to strike preemptively, and potentially enlist our help, let them. But it would be wrong for the U.S. to make the first move. Very arrogant.

We have been in a fruitless war in the middle east since the Bush administration, do you really think we need to be attacking any more countries? I don't think so! Despite all our guns and high tech gadgets we still have not eradicated Isis. What use would going at it with Korea do for us? 

Why would such be needed? - The Korean understanding is everybody is against them and pointing cannons +x while they are working on pistols. According to my limited understanding the US & Russia own enough overkill to hit the other really badly even after oversleeping a first strike hitting themself. How long would it take Korea to become the 3rd player in that league?

Anthracite_Impreza

No, there's enough wars going on in the world already and this will just escalate ridiculously due to the North Korean government being... well, insane.

Perissodactyla

U.S. and China vow to cooperate to rein in North Korea

video

March 18, 2017 1:31 PM EDT - During Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s first official trip to China, the two countries vowed to work together on reining in nuclear-armed North Korea

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/world/us-and-china-vow-to-cooperate-to-rein-in-north-korea/2017/03/18/65845914-0bff-11e7-bd19-fd3afa0f7e2a_video.html

If North Korea starts any nonsense, China will mop the floor with them. They do not mess around.

Joe the Stoic
3 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

We have been in a fruitless war in the middle east since the Bush administration, do you really think we need to be attacking any more countries? I don't think so! Despite all our guns and high tech gadgets we still have not eradicated Isis. What use would going at it with Korea do for us? 

Unlike Iraq, North Korea actually poses a nuclear threat.  Remember, we are talking about nukes, not simply state-building for the sake of American imperialism.  The game is WAY different.

TheGrumpyBear

It wouldn't be wise. Despite outward appearances, North Korea does have allies. And with America's already vastly tarnished reputation, all some of our potential enemies need is an excuse.

I just don't see Seoul escaping from some kind of retaliation strike if there's any kind of pre-emptive strike.

I've been busy all day, and the OP also wete vastly shortened, but I'll just leave this comment:

Remember that it is not just the USA who could do this, but also other nations/blocs (a reason why I also mentioned China and UN). And that this isn't whether one support a war or not, but just a discussion around if such an attack should take place and when.

Russia would respond to any attack on North Korea.  

this is boring. and silly. if we were sitting in anything other than armchairs it would also be stupid.

8 hours ago, Sally said:

Russia would respond to any attack on North Korea.  

It depends in which condition the attack would be carried out. I doubt that Russia would respond if the strike is ordered by the UN with a possible China veto vote.

Anyway,

North Korean people are already suffering enough and the last thing they need is to be dragged into a war. Just need to be patient, keep an eye on that retard in power and wait for that pathetic and idiotic gene pool in power there to vanish.

Not a good idea, unless both Russia and China support it as well, or it could escalate badly 

Sure.  And let's pre-emtively nuke all of the Muslim countries and start WWIII because that is what Herr Bannon and his Trumplet want.  Sieg Heil!

Or let's not.  A hostile invasion of a nation will not end well.

Yes and if we discuss gay marriage we support children being raped by men :rolleyes:

ChillaKilla

Howard, you clearly have an opinion here, but we can't debate you if you don't state it openly.

2 hours ago, ChillaKilla said:

Howard, you clearly have an opinion here, but we can't debate you if you don't state it openly.

No, as there is no point having a discussion where you already are labeled as nazi.

ChillaKilla
1 hour ago, ThaHoward said:

No, as there is no point having a discussion where you already are labeled as nazi.

Kelly explicity called Trump and Bannon the Nazis. Unless you're among the U.S. Executive and his cabinet, I'm pretty sure that was not directed at you personally. And anyway, how would we know? Like I said, you never outright stated your opinion so you can't really accuse someone of attacking you for something you never said.

No, as I said if one are to talk of one side one are associated with Trump, Bannon and fascists. When one come with these lines, sieg heil and compare discussion of a strike with nuclear holocaust against Muslims it get so ridiculous I don’t want to partake. 1) because it is just ridiculous and 2) I can see how problematic it become if it from day one is brought Trump, Sueg Heil and exterminating Muslims  - even if it have not been mentioned, and none of the groups have brought up North Korea. So no, unless we actually stay on topic theb yes I will be interested. But all I have seen is accusations of arrogance and bringing in genocide and nazis.

On 3/22/2017 at 0:05 PM, Joe Parrish said:

Unlike Iraq, North Korea actually poses a nuclear threat.  Remember, we are talking about nukes, not simply state-building for the sake of American imperialism.  The game is WAY different.

We would be attacking them first. I repeat we don't need more wars. We already are fighting a fruitless one in the middle east. What good would it do us? We won't gain anything from it. It would be war for the sake of it. What is your justification for wasting more tax dollars? What do we gain from invading Korea? If you can state a positive gain it makes sense, if not its meaningless war mongering. 

America needs to stop wasting funds on pointless wars and worry about our internal society which have been crumbling since the bank scare and housing crisis. We need jobs! we need people working! we need better transportation and job placement programs. Sending every 18 year old to war isnt helpful when the standard keeps getting raised because everyone wants to join and there's simply isnt enough spots for everyone. 

Joe the Stoic
20 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

We would be attacking them first. I repeat we don't need more wars. We already are fighting a fruitless one in the middle east. What good would it do us? We won't gain anything from it. It would be war for the sake of it. What is your justification for wasting more tax dollars? What do we gain from invading Korea? If you can state a positive gain it makes sense, if not its meaningless war mongering. 

America needs to stop wasting funds on pointless wars and worry about our internal society which have been crumbling since the bank scare and housing crisis. We need jobs! we need people working! we need better transportation and job placement programs. Sending every 18 year old to war isnt helpful when the standard keeps getting raised because everyone wants to join and there's simply isnt enough spots for everyone. 

I already explained the difference between this war and the war in the Middle East.  A nuclear North Korea is a very different prospect.  We don't know what a nuclear North Korea will do.  They might actually try to use them.  They are a lot less predictable than a country like China.

So yeah, this would not be war for the sake of it.  It would be war to prevent one of the most erratic world leaders from having the ability to annihilate entire populations.

6 minutes ago, Joe Parrish said:

I already explained the difference between this war and the war in the Middle East.  A nuclear North Korea is a very different prospect.  We don't know what a nuclear North Korea will do.  They might actually try to use them.  They are a lot less predictable than a country like China.

So yeah, this would not be war for the sake of it.  It would be war to prevent one of the most erratic world leaders from having the ability to annihilate entire populations.

So you want us to waste tax dollars on a war for the sake of it? Do you know how much money is already being spent on Iraq? You want to waste more money on something and create more loss for the US? How exactly can you justify that? 

America needs to start taking care of America, some people might think war is fun and we have to save the world but we are neglecting our own people back home. I support the troops but I don't support pointless wars for the sake of war. You are war mongering and its pointless. 

Archived