you can run but you can't hide?

chair jockey

chair jockey

A few days ago, in a bank branch in St. Catharines, Ontario, Justin Kuijer killed his seven-year-old stepson and wounded a bank employee. He then fled.

This morning he was captured in Kenora, Ontario, more than 2,000 kilometres away.

Contrast that to the infamous old case of Dennis Melvin Howe, who abducted and murdered a preteen girl and eluded capture for years until he died of a heart attack in a Northern Ontario community and his remains were identified by the authorities.

One difference is that the Kuijer criminal offenses were spotted immediately, he was identified the same day, and people generally knew where he was when he started fleeing. Another difference is that today's communication is much more sophisticated, not only among police but with the public. It was actually a member of the public in Kenora who recognized Kuijer and tipped off police.

In other news, police in British Columbia just made an arrest in a sexual assault that occurred five or six years ago.

People can run but they can't hide? What do you think?

TheGrumpyBear

They broke society's laws. They got punishment. As it should be.

I tried to look the case up online. The police chief in charge thanked the (social)media for their power leading towards that success.

But let's try to be realistic: We had an offender ticking out. (Sounds pretty "amateurish" to me.) + Also committing a crime that enrages the public. + The media jumping on it.

I am trying to say: That success aside, we unfortunately still have professional criminality working well enough. Planned using prepared "blank sheets" having chances to escape cleanishly and a chance to reside somewhere where maybe everybody knows but nobody takes an offense. - Juvenile pickpocket gangs raiding European cities and financing their entire Romanian home village for example.

When will they involve society to catch every minor offender? Or even start making sure that people can't get multiple identities to use in Europe?

Archived