Asexuality PODCAST

Spatulace

Hey!

For my university project, I've decided to tackle one of the most divisive questions we face; should Asexual people be included as a part of the LGBT community?

I included a comment from my other post about this topic (here) and some of the views of the comments there, and tried to flesh out the argument as much as I could in five minutes. 

Please give it a listen, and let me know what you think. I'll be talking about some of your opinions in my next podcast, so please leave a comment under the podcast (or under this post). It helps me out a bunch!

You can find the podcast here.

Have a great day!

I think you did a good job with the why and why we should not be part of LGBT community point counter point.

The only a few questions/suggestions:

-If we do want to be apart of LGBT, what exactly is it that we hope the community will provide that we won't find anywhere else? I heard the argument or recognition and community, but what else exactly? Is the goal of joining the LGBT a way of legitimizing asexuality?

-I think it would be cool if you did an interview with people that by default could already be part of the LGBT and what they feel about it. I would love to hear the opinion of a trans person who is not only dealing with that, but also asexuality, and how they feel about being in the LGBT community, or how they would feel being part of the LGBT community. I would also love to hear what a homoromantic ace thinks about the LGBT community.

-I was an ally in a LGBT community supporting my friend who came out as a lesbian and wanted my support. I went to a few parades with her to as well, and although I did feel included, I also did not exactly feel a sense of community. This was just my experience though.

• 2 weeks later...
To Each Their Own

25 years ago, long before I even figured out that I was asexual, I was in the LGBT community; being there just felt natural to me. Why was I there? The biggest reason was because I felt safe there.  And then later I found community, friendship, and then family.

But before I ended up there I had experienced some bad relationships, sexual assaults, and even a marriage. That's when the convention therapy began: doctor visits, pills, talk therapy, blood work - basically the doctor telling me that if I wasn't such a bad wife then my husband wouldn't have to "work so hard" to get sex out of me.  Yeah, my eating disorder went into overdrive, I was cutting myself, and I was in the psych ward more than I not.  I felt I was being raped three times a week and I being told that it was my fault and all the doctors were doing was trying to figure out why I wasn't more amenable to the idea!!!  It's like I was living an episode of The Twilight Zone that went on for four years.

Remember, that "hypoactive sexual desire" is still considered a disorder (medical and psychiatric) in the US/U.K. and many areas around the world.  But even in those areas that are more "sofisticated" and allow the possibility of asexuality, it is still scary because you have to tell the doctor that you are asexual.  If you DON'T KNOW that you are asexual BEFORE HAND, then you are pretty much in for a bumpy ride. I could have avoided a whole lot of pain and misery if someone, ANYONE would introduced the possibility of asexuality to me. Which is why I'm always talking about it and living out loud. But I digress...maybe.

Not all asexuals WANT to be part of the LGBT community and that's fine; no one should drag them where they don't want to go.  Some asexual do want to be part of it, others NEED it. My soul was absolutely crushed when I came into the community. It was my harbor; I found safety and I healed here.  No one has a right to tell me where I belong and who my friends and family can be.

Archived