Why do you like changing your username?

Yatogami

AVEN has a cool feature, that allows for people to change your usernames up to 6 times a year. When I first joined, I totally loved this feature. Since I personally like too many things, to settle on just one name. Not even originality is suitable for me. So I usually carefully choose a name to reflect something about myself and my mood (If you can figure the meanings out, some are obvious, some are references, but all follow a pattern). So when I go back, and think about all my usernames. I get a collection of memories along with them. 

So other fellows who love changing usernames, why do you like to? 

I don't do it too often, but I was getting really tired of my old one (cowgirl326). It was beginning to feel very- Not Me. Granted, I try not to change it too often. 

Doesn't help for my old username, plenty of people relate "cowgirl" to sex and not the old west.. (not that the old west didn't have sex, historically it had plenty that the Victorians tried to pretend didn't happen)

I'm much happier with this one and the other username I use everywhere else (nightfury326). I'd rather have a username related to dragons, than something that can automatically related to sex. 

sir octepus tea

I don´t like changing my username, mostly because it makes it harder for people to recognize me. I appreciate that the feature to change your username is on aven though, just because I won´t use it doesn´t mean that no one else should

Perissodactyla

I have been a member of AVEN for nearly 2 years. omg! lol

For the first year I kept the same profile name. I could not at first imagine ever changing my name.

After that... eventually... I grew a bit bored with my profile name.

I became bored with being easily and quickly identified by other members in some situations, such as in chat... but also in the forums.

It is wonderful to be recognized by your friends... but there is a bit of a downside to this... since it can have an effect on you... that you feel the burden of being consistent with your "past self" and the way that you have represented yourself and your sense of everything (humor, attitude, opinions, energy) from your past. It can make one feel stuck and repetitive and a bit inauthentic. WE ALL CHANGE! lol

At certain points in our life... we tend to shed various attitudes about ourselves and life... and gradually or suddenly move into a new awareness of ourselves...in relation with our friends and community... which sometimes seems to deserve 'wearing' a new name for oneself. :)

There are many reasons for this. One reason is that people can become curious how they might feel differently... and also how they might have a different experience on AVEN with a new name. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

It's not really like you are hiding... but more like you are allowing yourself to 'shed your skin'.... so to speak. (sounding a bit Snakey now! lol ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<~   lol )

I personally feel that there should be no limit to how many times a member wishes to change their profile name.

But I do also feel that it should be easy for members to know which profile names one has used in the past.

Therefore, I use the AVEN rank field to identify my 'brand'. :)

Blueberry Pie
1 hour ago, euco said:

It is wonderful to be recognized by your friends... but there is a bit of a downside to this... since it can have an effect on you... that you feel the burden of being consistent with your "past self" and the way that you have represented yourself and your sense of everything (humor, attitude, opinions, energy) from your past. It can make one feel stuck and repetitive and a bit inauthentic. WE ALL CHANGE! lol

At certain points in our life... we tend to shed various attitudes about ourselves and life... and gradually or suddenly move into a new awareness of ourselves...in relation with our friends and community... which sometimes seems to deserve 'wearing' a new name for oneself. :)

This is really beautiful and philosophical, euco. ^_^

I don't agree with changing usernames personally, just because I'm already pretty bad at retaining names so I try to keep it easy of others. I used to really like changing avatars, though. I'm going to keep the beaten up box for the time being, but there is reasoning behind it.

53 minutes ago,  skit said:

always seems like a good idea at the time

If I remember correctly you went from shit to skit and not by your own free will.  you have a deeper history than a name of shit?

I like getting to know people who post and the only way I can do that is through username consistency.  I have changed names only once, and changed back after the holidays.  I tend to read more posts of people I can relate to through previous conversations.    If you change your name I have lost contact with you and if that is your desired result then good.  But you will not get a personalized response like the person who has maintained their same name the whole time they have been here, UNLESS your prior names are posted in the signature line or you use the same profile picture or some other form of identity continuity.

1 minute ago, Muledeer said:

If I remember correctly you went from shit to skit and not by your own free will.  you have a deeper history than a name of shit?

I have changed my name more than anyone else on AVEN

my name display history was legendary

ChillaKilla

Like others say- I don't want to be forgotten so I keep my name. I like it anyway.

On 3/21/2017 at 0:38 PM, Livyatan said:

AVEN has a cool feature, that allows for people to change your usernames up to 6 times a year. When I first joined, I totally loved this feature. Since I personally like too many things, to settle on just one name. Not even originality is suitable for me. So I usually carefully choose a name to reflect something about myself and my mood (If you can figure the meanings out, some are obvious, some are references, but all follow a pattern). So when I go back, and think about all my usernames. I get a collection of memories along with them. 

So other fellows who love changing usernames, why do you like to? 

I haven't changed it since I joined. There is a very deliberate reason I picked Sherlock and I been waiting for someone to try and figure it out. 

There is usually a reason I pick characters/names I do but I just going to let people guess! because I want to find that special someone clever enough to read me like a BOOK! This was more apparent from the profile on my old website I was using though because my about me was literally a taunt. 

It was me talking for a paragraph about how I can write a lot with saying nothing useful and then said "Good luck trying to figure anything out from this". Its kind of always playing, waiting for someone clever enough to figure me out. Sadly even most therapists are too stupid to figure it out which makes me really sad. I kind of wish people were less stupid sometimes but I know the majority are morons, and another percentage simply don't care. So oh well.. 

Mezzo Forte
On March 21, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Toothlesss said:

I don't do it too often, but I was getting really tired of my old one (cowgirl326). It was beginning to feel very- Not Me. Granted, I try not to change it too often. 

Doesn't help for my old username, plenty of people relate "cowgirl" to sex and not the old west.. (not that the old west didn't have sex, historically it had plenty that the Victorians tried to pretend didn't happen)

I'm much happier with this one and the other username I use everywhere else (nightfury326). I'd rather have a username related to dragons, than something that can automatically related to sex. 

I had a similar sort of feeling about my old username (Musette). It wasn't an inherently feminine name, just a type of French bagpipe instrument, but it connects too closely to feminine names like Musetta and just started feeling like it didn't represent me as I came out to myself. Mezzo Forte comes from a mix of tongue-and-cheek humor related to my real name, of wanting to use a (less gendered) music term as a username, and of the sort of comfort and moderation that the mezzo forte dynamic implies.

I have a different username that I really like that I made up for my Twitch account my sis made me create. It's a mix of a Streetlight Manifesto lyric and a joking nickname related to my chosen/legal name, but since people IRL know that username, I avoid using it in these kinds of spaces where I want to maintain some anonymity.

SithAzathoth WinterDragon
On 3/22/2017 at 2:50 AM, CakeSpadeAce said:

Even more than @Kisa the Krampus? Because I know she's changed it a lot.

I joined when @Kisa the Krampus was Kisa the Cat :P I do like her name . As for name changing for myself I was doing it to find  one that stuck with me. I will keep this one as many like it :D 

SamwiseLovesLife

I tend to use the same handle as my twitter/instagram/etc so other members can find me if they want to :) There are two I typically use so may at some point change my Aven name to 'myhappiestdays' or just leave it be

drjohnhwatson

I never change my username.  Less on here than other places, I fear people sniping and hoarding my name because it can be a Hot Commodity on certain sites.

I am just fond of it, honestly, and don't feel right changing it to something else.  Now in CHAT ROOMS...I love changing it to various fictional characters or historical figures.

:lol:.

I try not to use the same names on several sites. Or you cpuld easily be tracked/stalked by someone. If you use the same name, they can find all your site accounts quite easily.

Great thing about anime names, is there is safety in numbers.

chair jockey

I kept changing my name because of an unstable sense of self (which caused me huge problems under any name lol). Right now I already want to change my name after having had it for less than two full months, but I have no changes available until January 2018. That's a good thing!

I use my actual real life (nick) names a lot. sometimes I get sick of a name cause I get sick of the people who call me that lol. 

Grumpy Alien

I only ever change my name as a joke or seasonally for holidays.

SamwiseLovesLife
On 21/03/2017 at 8:10 PM, sir octepus tea said:

I don´t like changing my username, mostly because it makes it harder for people to recognize me. I appreciate that the feature to change your username is on aven though, just because I won´t use it doesn´t mean that no one else should

I try to make it recognisably similar so that people get that I'm the same person :) I also keep the same picture for a while so again, I'm recognisable

Archived