Youtube and restricting Ace/LGBTA video [from Guardian article]

iff

so unsure of where to post this but we are mentioned in a Guardian article so maybe world watch, mods please move if wrong or already posted

There's nothing that screams "mature content" more than asexuals... doing nothing with each other... <_<

Yes, I got increasingly angry about this today as well.

Have you seen youtube's response? They're basically denying this is happening.

"Oh no, it's not LGBT+ stuff we're restricting, only more 'sensitive' stuff!"

Yeah right... Because asexuality is super sensitive, but alt-right bullshit is perfectly fine and dying animals is perfectly fine. That won't scar kids for life!

F* off youtube.

I mean, if we talk about this more broadly than just youtube, people being shot on TV is just fine and dandy, but one gay kiss on screen and everyone freaks out.

Society is so weird.

The other big issue with this is that LGBT+ youtubers who make a living by educating people about these issues are being particularly affected because age-restricted content on youtube cannot be monetized. If they cannot support themselves, they'll have to support themselves by other means, which means that they'll be unable to make as much content for the community/to promote awareness.

I remember when YouTube would have the warnings, way back in the day, of May Contain Adult Content. But that was usually because there was cursing or nudity. And then one day it went away....maybe I turned it off on my account. I'll be 28 in a matter of weeks, I don't give a f---- about "adult content."

But restricting based on discussing orientation? That's bullshit. It can't last, the majority of it's users will throw a fit.

Just read the article and it seems like YouTube may have a problem with it's Restriction Mode algorithm. One user mentioned that they had their top video games video restricted, and other person mentioned that some music videos that didn't contain mature content were blocked.

This doesn't make it OK, but YouTube says they are looking into it and if they fix the problem than I'll be cool. I'm withholding judging YouTube until they have a chance to try and fix the mistake, and thus proving it was a mistake.

Archived