How is everyone able to find appropriate memes?

LittleGoody2Shoes

LittleGoody2Shoes

Is there a search engine somewhere that helps you find appropriate meme for each conversation?

SorryNotSorry

Probably not.

You pretty much need to have a sense of intuition for what that meme might be called.

For instance, if you search "tough baby", that pic of the fist-faced toddler wearing a green & white shirt and clenching a fist at the beach will be one of the first results, because the toddler looks like... a tough baby.

They use meme generators to make them themselves

Diamond Ace of Hearts

There are certain sites that list memes and try to give some history on them, including their most popular variations and, crucially, the names they are often known by. It's not always ideal for a fast-moving conversation but I do a google search of something that describes the pic with the word "meme" and then find one of those sites in the search results, and if the meme doesn't already have a variant that fits what I want to say then from there it's a short hop to a meme creator (usually there will be one on the site that gives you the info) et voilà.

Diamond Ace^ seems like a real pro meme investigator.

I spend bloody ages sometimes trying slightly different phrases for memes I'm looking for. I remember I spent about thirty minutes once looking for a very specific "tag yourself" meme and found it in some really obscure place. So honestly if anyone has any tips on how to cut down my meme searching time I'd much appreciate it. But saying that, spending time searching for a specific meme means I accidentally stumble across some great memes I've never seen before on the way as well.

I have a friend who keeps a meme folder in her computer (all titled in ways that make sense to her) for use in the appropriate situations. I think it's hilarious.

ChillaKilla
2 hours ago, Woodworker1968 said:

Probably not.

You pretty much need to have a sense of intuition for what that meme might be called.

For instance, if you search "tough baby", that pic of the fist-faced toddler wearing a green & white shirt and clenching a fist at the beach will be one of the first results, because the toddler looks like... a tough baby.

Success kid

Update: I tried it and it was actually the first result. Wow.

Anthracite_Impreza

Just google what I'm looking for...

I have about 1500 images saved on my phone, mostly screenshots from japanese anime and manga I use as reaction images in conversations. Less often on slower chats or more text-oriented forums like this. So I assume those would work for your definition of memes. Most of them are subtitled or have speech bubbles.

afdabf9124.jpeg

Diamond Ace of Hearts
5 hours ago, Andiamo said:

I have a friend who keeps a meme folder in her computer (all titled in ways that make sense to her) for use in the appropriate situations. I think it's hilarious.

I've been meaning to start a meme bank

Mychemicalqpr

If it makes you feel better, memes make about as much sense to me as sex. 

a lot of people just keep folders or use apps im pretty sure you can get a a thing call Broji which turns you keyboard into a memeboard basically.

You need access to various websites and friends, so that you can create a vast, interconnected meme network. 

I have a folder of gifs and memes I've collected over time. 

YouTube also has a cool feature where you can create a (low-quality) gif from a video and add text.

LittleGoody2Shoes
On 3/20/2017 at 0:57 PM, Andiamo said:

That is a good idea.

SorryNotSorry

I try not to post my ugly mug online much because I'd BECOME a meme.

Diamond Ace of Hearts
7 hours ago, Woodworker1968 said:

I try not to post my ugly mug online much because I'd BECOME a meme.

I was briefly a meme. It was short-lived and in no way contagious enough to hit a meme aggregator site but who knows? In a thousand years some Professor of Ancient Memeography may stumble across me.

Google is always the answer. I have no idea why anyone asks questions anymore.

Archived