Should we have a forum for older asexuals?

Amcan

Should there be a forum for 'older' AVEN members?  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Other - please comment to elucidate

My problem is that I feel like I'm intruding or Butting in when I post on their thread. Like I'm this Adult lecturing to youngins. I don't mean it that way, but I feel thats the way it probably comes across to younger people. I can't help it by the way, I'm old and lecturing is expected of me. LOL.

Please do not feel like you are intruding. I guess I'm one of the younger ones (I'm 21), and I love to hear from whoever has anything to say.

Quite honestly, I do not even look at the ages of members, I usually don't find them out unless they mention it in a thread, and I often forget that someone is older or younger, even after I've found out. I look at the words written and the thought put behind it, not so much the age of the person who said it.

LOL Thanks Prairie Winds but it was merely a jocular comment on what I consider an attempt to stereotype people by their age.

We are not here to "hook" up with partners so why should age be a factor in the first place?

We are not here to "hook" up with partners so why should age be a factor in the first place?

A very good point, actually.

On the other hand, most of the board membership is under 30, and there are some issues that older asexuals may face that the younger ones may not be experiencing yet. Whether these issues need their own forum or not is pretty much the point of this entire debate. :)

Having a forum for older asexuals means that:

*older asexuals know where to go for stuff that is relevant to them(I suspect & hope a newsboard would quickly develope- I mean, how many people under 20 want to know about glucosamine? What to do about hot flushes in your 50s? Why a living will can be a really good idea?!!!))

*young/er asexuals know where to go for the historical stuff, or where to pose questions about ancient days-

*it will be an open forum - given that posters have already answered Cijay's reservations about it being of Off-A - why isnt it happening, like now??!

I voted yes. I understand people's concerns about age segregation, but as others have already said so well, there are subjects that are not yet of great interest to younger asexuals, plus being of a certain age means you grew up under quite different circumstances than people coming of age today.

Personally, I was interested to see people posting about how hard it was growing up asexual during the sexual revolution of the 1960s and early 1970s. I was a teenager in the *late* 1970s, when the first heady glow of that era was starting to die down, plus I grew up in a small town, which I think have always had more conservative standards than big cities. Of the two, I think it was probably easier growing up without support then than now, because sex seems so utterly unavoidable and in your face now. I'm so glad that people coming of age today (not to mention the rest of us!) have AVEN to come to for support.

Guest Fosco
Oh, and in case it's not obvious--I voted 'yes'. The more I thought about it, the more sense it made. I convinced myself. :lol:

you couldnt help convince me, at the end of the day it sounds like you think your better than the younger asexuals who use this site, I cant see why you cant discuss any "issues" in the forums we all have already. and at the end of the day, us younger asexuals may need you older ones to help us. I have to admit (with no offence) this is the worst idea since Hitlers mum said to Hitlers dad, I feel horny!!!

Cate Perfect
Oh, and in case it's not obvious--I voted 'yes'. The more I thought about it, the more sense it made. I convinced myself. :lol:

you couldnt help convince me, at the end of the day it sounds like you think your better than the younger asexuals who use this site, I cant see why you cant discuss any "issues" in the forums we all have already. and at the end of the day, us younger asexuals may need you older ones to help us. I have to admit (with no offence) this is the worst idea since Hitlers mum said to Hitlers dad, I feel horny!!!

I don't think I'm better than younger asexuals--I'm 27. :lol:

That same logic can be applied to asexuals who have relationships. After all, society is always telling us that without a relationship, we're incomplete; therefore, those of us with relationships are "better" than those of us who are not.* Yet we have a forum for them. ("Asexual Relationships".)

* - I don't actually believe any of this, I am just using that as an example. Especially since I'm the kind who eschews relationships to start with. :D

Perhaps some of the issues the older AVEN members face that the younger ones don't can be discussed in the subject areas we have. But moving them all under one umbrella makes it easier for us to find them.

Come to think of it, those of us who fancy themselves the creative type have Open Mic...

I have to admit (with no offence) this is the worst idea since Hitlers mum said to Hitlers dad, I feel horny!!!

. . .

Um.

The way I see it, this is about really opening our arms to people who might feel less than comfortable in an internet discussion board full of folk under 30. Look at how many new people have come out of the woodwork to say they'd like the forum!

I'm 20, and I'm all for it. I'd probably spend time there, too, like I spend time in the "Relationships" and "Sexual Partners, Friends & Allies" boards, though those don't apply to me either. I'm there to get perspectives, answer questions, and help promote a sense of general communitas.

[small]So, why on earth hasn't it happened already?[/small]

So, why on earth hasn't it happened already?

we are hashing out the final details in the admod forum (so not to cause confusion when it goes up) as I type...

goonie, admin

Actually, you're even more of an oldster. :P

I think I have the best and the worst things of both a 15 year old and a 60 year old, as contradictory as that statement is.

No, no, you're not. :) But we all know Hex is really an older man masquerading as a younger man masquerading as an older man. Who used to masquerade as Darth Vader.

I think I need to get out of the house. . .

I guess they were right when they told me one minute you are fine.. the next minute your are ancient :lol:

planetcutie

I'm 30, do I count as 'older'? :)

Older than average here I may be, but I'm certainly emotionally immature...

Well the way we are working it out everyone will be welcome to post in the forum it will probably have issues relating to older asexuals but you will be free to post.

I think that's what we're planning...

Amcan

admin

There is a forum for Asexuals who are in Relationships, yet those of us who are not in a relationship can browse and even offer some insight, and no one has a problem with it. I don't see how an "Older Asexuals" forum would be any different. :)

I still think that the biggest plus is that it'd be easier for those with limited time and experience to browse and hunt for threads to congregate and commune, so to speak

:shock: 'kay, I've changed my mind...yes, we can use that forum. :shock:

(PS, my 'quote' function thingy doesn't work...how do I fix my thingy? It won't come through as a quote. :cry:

Cijay.. it isn't just your post.. it is board wide... it is being looked into

Goonie, admin

:?

I wish there was an area for us OLDER :shock: folk to go to. I have been looking on this site for about 2 weeks and almost all the posts I see are from younger people.

Also, would it be possible for an area at this site for a.s who are disabled?

While we are waiting for the technical glitches to be resolved so the new forum for older members forum can be installed, there is a topic in Off-A which is destined to become its first official thread. (I will use my modly powers to move it once it becomes possible)

Ya'll come on down and feel free to participate!

-Greybird

I mean, how many people under 20 want to know about glucosamine?

Glucosamine the wonder drug.

And you can get it over the counter without a Script.

My mother used it for pain in her knees, and when my elbows got to hurting all the time, I started popping a pill a day and low and behold, after a couple weeks my elbows stopped hurting. Just finished my first bottle of 120 pills.

I purchased my second bottle of 300 pills, yesterday, so I'm good for almost a year.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Ziff

Now that I'm much older, I appreciate those friendships more and more for what they brought to my life and I've come to realize there were huge differences in our thoughts and feelings, not to mention experiences.

That quote was about the interrelationships of younger with older, and I agree, it was so much more fun being little and hanging out with the older kids.

If this new forum comes to pass or not, it isn't like the older members are going away to surviver island and disappear. I for one will surf all the forums becuase I am interested in all that goes on and what everyone thinks about all subjects. It's not segregation to have one room in the house that is for the elderly. We meet in all the house and the youngins are most welcome in the old folks room when they want to come in.

Some seem to insinuate that once there is an older forum on AVEN that the old folks are going to seperate themselves, never to be seen again. That just won't happen. Have you ever seen an old person who was able to keep their nose out of the younger generations business? :D :D :D

Ziff

you couldnt help convince me' date=' at the end of the day it sounds like you think your [b']better[/b] than the younger asexuals who use this site,

Better?

Heavens NO!

This is your site. From what I am reading, it was founded by the younger generation. I am honored that you allow me to be here.

I have been to other boards that constantly post things like. "Why are those old people hanging around here?" "I think its wrong for old people to be here." "Why would old people want to be around young people anyways." "It's just not right for them to be here." "Why does a 50 year old want to be on a board with 20 year olds?"

Better? Absolutely not. It's hard to put into words how I feel about being accepted on a board that is run by and used primarily by people 30 years younger than me.

NO. NO. NO. NO. I don't feel superior or better or above anyone. I am humbled by the younger generation here allowing me to be here.

This quote means more to me than anything else on this board.

Please do not feel like you are intruding. I guess I'm one of the younger ones (I'm 21), and I love to hear from whoever has anything to say.

Ziff.

Elizabeth I

Ah Victoria....

Thank you for your wonderful empathetic comments!

I am looking forward to reading your posts on that forum for older asexuals!

:wink:

Lizzie

Archived