Updating the wiki (again)

Member54880

Member54880

A continuation of this thread

Since I shuffled into this role, I've had the time to check the wiki again and saw that many pages are very out of date, or are missing information.

So far, I updated most of the mod, admin and PT articles, including these lists:

http://wiki.asexuality.org/Former_administrators

http://wiki.asexuality.org/Former_moderators (both only missing the links for some usernames)

http://wiki.asexuality.org/Former_AVEN_Project_Team_members

And updated the forum section pages to include the current moderators, the changes to some forums since the pages were last updated.

Articles about AVEN's projects may be outdated:

The article for Asexual Perspectives has a section for contributors, but I can't find any information about if this project is currently active or not.

The article for AVENues could use more information.
Along with updating the staff section, this article could benefit from a history section, and I have one drafted:

The first issue of AVENues was launched on September 27, 2006. AVENues was updated monthly until after issue #5, when it changed to a bi-monthly schedule. After issue #19, AVENues went on hiatus until October 2010, when issue #20 was released. AVENues resumed a bi-monthly release until issue #23, released in May 2011, but went on hiatus again, and released only one issue in 2012, and one in 2013. AVENues was never intentionally stopped, but remained inactive until it was revived in January 2016. Since its revival, it updates bi-monthly.

The "Asexual Organizations" category was last updated in 2013. Is there any interest in updating this section with articles for organizations that have emerged since then, and their role in the asexual community?

The "Asexual sites" page should be checked again for sites that are defunct or have fallen inactive, and to add new active sites.

Other things I found: Some blank pages that have a lot of potential:

An orphaned page called "The Definition Debate". Nothing has been written for it, but it could be an ambitious article about the history and current debates over the definition of asexuality. (EDIT: A first draft has been written)

"Other Identities" is another blank orphaned page.

The WorldPride 2014 page hasn't been updated to be written in the past tense. Aside from updating it to be in the past tense, is there any additional information that should be included? The WorldPride 2012 page is blank, being marked as a work in progress, but was never updated.  Should there still be separate pages for the WorldPride 2012, 2014 and 2017 events, or should they be merged into a single page?

There's no article for the AVEN Survey. Would anyone be interested in drafting these pages? As with the previous thread, this thread will serve as feedback for new pages and updates, to give input and suggestions.

Are there any other changes you'd like to see on pages to the wiki, or any additions?

32 minutes ago, Aqua-ace said:

Does anyone think it'd be a good idea that when writing about the current attraction vs. desire debate, to have a section in the definition debate page over why some members prefer one definition over the other?

I don't see how you can write about a debate without writing about the arguments in the debate... Or do I misunderstand what you're asking?

Member54880
26 minutes ago, Tofer said:

I don't see how you can write about a debate without writing about the arguments in the debate... Or do I misunderstand what you're asking?

It would be about a section about the arguments in the debate, because it is ongoing.

For the next part of Definition Debate page, I had in mind this as a draft:

The "lack of sexual attraction" definition became the most standardized definition for its inclusiveness, and because most alternatives didn't gain widespread recognition. In 2012, an alternate definition of asexuality as the lack of desire for partnered sex was posted in detail on AVEN [link], and emerged as a popular alternative in 2013 and 2014. Since then, the primary debate over defining asexuality is over whether it's the lack of sexual attraction, or the lack of sexual desire.

In the "Asexuality: History of a definition" paper, I found that there were no popular alternatives to the attraction definition for years.

A thread I found in early 2013 showing the lack of desire definition starting to emerge in popularity:

The census thread that started in 2014:

IIRC, it was after that thread in Census when this debate became more frequent, but I started to notice the increasing popularity of the desire definition in 2013.

It would be good to make a brief mention or bare outline of the arguments on each side, but a full presentation of arguments would be unwieldy. I think what would be most helpful is an outline of the history of the debate and good selection of links and references to where the debate can be found, so people who are new to the site but curious can explore.

• 9 months later...

I haven't forgotten about expanding on the Definition Debate article. I have a draft ready, and thought about outlining each of the arguments, but can search for threads about the debate that can be used to elaborate on each of them.

Here's a proposed outline of reasons on each side. Are there any that are missing, or need to be changed, or could be expanded on?

The side that prefers the attraction definition may prefer it because:

• It is consistent with how other sexual orientations are defined in English (i.e: sexual attraction to the same, other, or multiple genders, or no sexual attraction).
  • It is the official definition used by AVEN, and used on many asexual visibility materials.
  • Historically, this was the most inclusive definition compared to the definitions and views from some other early asexual communities.

The side that prefers the desire definition may prefer it because:

• They consider that sexual desire is easier to define as the innate desire for sex in general.
  • The definitions sometimes used for sexual attraction may only account for spontaneous sexual desire, and not responsive sexual desire.
  • Some people identify as sexual although they do not experience what is often defined as sexual attraction, but because they experience a desire for sex in general.

The AVEN article could use some updates. The Administration section doesn't include the Declassification Team and Training Teams yet, but I have proposed this as a draft for them:

Declassification Team

The Declassification Team consists of dedicated volunteers elected to declassify threads in Admods forum, by removing identifying information before moving the thread to the publicly readable Admod Archives forum.

Training Team

The Training Team are a group of experienced former admods, who were selected for, and volunteered for the role. They are entrusted with training new admods through structured training.  

Below each header a link can be added for articles explaining the history of these teams, and why they were created later.

The timeline of notable dates could be expanded on. The last date listed was for 2007. I would also include the first AVEN survey which was published in 2008, its revival in 2014, and AVEN's first organized efforts in Pride events, and the 100,000 member milestone.  Are there any other suggestions?

I used to update the Asexuality in the media articles to archive the latest media appearances about asexuality. There have been so many new media appearances over the past few years. Should this article be updated to include them, or should it be kept as-is, with a link to the World Watch archives? When I was updating this article to document as many media appearances I could, this was before the World Watch archives were created.

Archived