• Announcements

• Kisa the Cat

World Watch Archiving Project

Hello everyone, Please read this thread before posting to World Watch Thank you.
    • Kisa the Cat

Avenues March/April   03/15/17

The newest issue of Avenues is out March/April
    • Kelly

New Moderators and Declass members needed: Nominations   04/27/17

Join the team!  See:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/154691-new-moderator-needed-for-for-sexual-partners-friends-and-allies-and-the-census-nominations/ http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/154693-new-moderator-needed-for-asexual-relationships-nominations/ http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/154692-new-declass-team-member-needed-nominations/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aqua-ace

Updating the wiki (again)

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

A continuation of this thread

Since I shuffled into this role, I've had the time to check the wiki again and saw that many pages are very out of date, or are missing information.

So far, I updated most of the mod, admin and PT articles, including these lists:

http://wiki.asexuality.org/Former_administrators

http://wiki.asexuality.org/Former_moderators (both only missing the links for some usernames)

http://wiki.asexuality.org/Former_AVEN_Project_Team_members

And updated the forum section pages to include the current moderators, the changes to some forums since the pages were last updated.

Articles about AVEN's projects may be outdated:

The article for Asexual Perspectives has a section for contributors, but I can't find any information about if this project is currently active or not.

The article for AVENues could use more information.
Along with updating the staff section, this article could benefit from a history section, and I have one drafted:

The first issue of AVENues was launched on September 27, 2006. AVENues was updated monthly until after issue #5, when it changed to a bi-monthly schedule. After issue #19, AVENues went on hiatus until October 2010, when issue #20 was released. AVENues resumed a bi-monthly release until issue #23, released in May 2011, but went on hiatus again, and released only one issue in 2012, and one in 2013. AVENues was never intentionally stopped, but remained inactive until it was revived in January 2016. Since its revival, it updates bi-monthly.

The "Asexual Organizations" category was last updated in 2013. Is there any interest in updating this section with articles for organizations that have emerged since then, and their role in the asexual community?

The "Asexual sites" page should be checked again for sites that are defunct or have fallen inactive, and to add new active sites.

Other things I found: Some blank pages that have a lot of potential:

An orphaned page called "The Definition Debate". Nothing has been written for it, but it could be an ambitious article about the history and current debates over the definition of asexuality. (EDIT: A first draft has been written)

"Other Identities" is another blank orphaned page.

The WorldPride 2014 page hasn't been updated to be written in the past tense. Aside from updating it to be in the past tense, is there any additional information that should be included? The WorldPride 2012 page is blank, being marked as a work in progress, but was never updated.  Should there still be separate pages for the WorldPride 2012, 2014 and 2017 events, or should they be merged into a single page?

There's no article for the AVEN Survey. Would anyone be interested in drafting these pages? As with the previous thread, this thread will serve as feedback for new pages and updates, to give input and suggestions.

Are there any other changes you'd like to see on pages to the wiki, or any additions?

Edited by Aqua-ace
1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, Aqua-ace said:

Does anyone think it'd be a good idea that when writing about the current attraction vs. desire debate, to have a section in the definition debate page over why some members prefer one definition over the other?

I don't see how you can write about a debate without writing about the arguments in the debate... Or do I misunderstand what you're asking?

26 minutes ago, Tofer said:

I don't see how you can write about a debate without writing about the arguments in the debate... Or do I misunderstand what you're asking?

It would be about a section about the arguments in the debate, because it is ongoing.

For the next part of Definition Debate page, I had in mind this as a draft:

The "lack of sexual attraction" definition became the most standardized definition for its inclusiveness, and because most alternatives didn't gain widespread recognition. In 2012, an alternate definition of asexuality as the lack of desire for partnered sex was posted in detail on AVEN [link], and emerged as a popular alternative in 2013 and 2014. Since then, the primary debate over defining asexuality is over whether it's the lack of sexual attraction, or the lack of sexual desire.

In the "Asexuality: History of a definition" paper, I found that there were no popular alternatives to the attraction definition for years.

A thread I found in early 2013 showing the lack of desire definition starting to emerge in popularity:

The census thread that started in 2014:

IIRC, it was after that thread in Census when this debate became more frequent, but I started to notice the increasing popularity of the desire definition in 2013.

1 person likes this

I think it would be beneficial, although tricky to write so as to present a balanced, neutral presentation of each side's views. The principle of charity is a relevant consideration – that each side should be presented in the strongest possible way.

It's interesting that these debates appear to have started around 2012-2013, which is probably due to the fact that they arose out of concerns that the asexual community has become too accepting and too broad. My impression is that people on both sides of this debate would agree to that, at least.

As a final point, I'd add that obviously I've taken a strong position in favour of one side in this debate, and that fact should be kept in mind when considering my input.

It would be good to make a brief mention or bare outline of the arguments on each side, but a full presentation of arguments would be unwieldy. I think what would be most helpful is an outline of the history of the debate and good selection of links and references to where the debate can be found, so people who are new to the site but curious can explore.