Books and Reading habits poll

iff

Books Books Books   

119 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Read Books?

• Yes
    • Yes but only for school, college, work etc
    • No
  2. 2. How many books do you read in an average year?

• None, I told you
    • 1 - 5
    • 6 - 10
    • 11 - 20
    • 21 - 30
    • 31 - 40
    • 41 - 50
    • 51 - 60
    • 61 - 70
    • 71 - 80
    • 81 - 90
    • 91 - 100
    • 101 - 200
    • 201 - 300
    • 300 +
  3. 3. Fiction or Non-Fiction?

• I read only Fiction
    • I read mostly Fiction
    • I read slightly more fiction than non-fiction
    • about equal amounts of fiction and non-fiction
    • I read slightly more non-fiction than fiction
    • I read mostly non-fiction
    • I read only non-fiction
    • I don't read
    • I read for school, work etc only
  4. 4. What format do you read

• Physical Books only
    • E-Books only
    • Audio books only
    • All three formats
    • physical books and e-books
    • physical books and audio books
    • e-books and audio books
    • something iff overlooked in their error
    • i don't read
  5. 5. Favourite fiction genres (pick three at most)

• Fantasy
    • Romance
    • Young Adult
    • Historical fiction
    • Comedy/Satire
    • Erotica
    • Sci-Fi
    • Graphic Novels
    • Horror
    • Thriller/Suspense/Spy
    • War literature
    • Classic Literature
    • Western
    • Crime
    • Legend/Mythology/Fables
    • Short Stories
    • Political Fiction
    • I don't read/ I don't read fiction
  6. 6. Favourite non-fiction genres

• Autobiography/Memoir
    • Biography
    • Politics
    • Hisotry - War
    • History - Countries/Nations/Place
    • Books of a local interest ( what is local is up to the poster themselves)
    • History - Other
    • Crime
    • Religion
    • Humour
    • Science/Mathematical
    • Educational
    • Self help
    • Philosophy
    • Film/TV/Music/Entertainment
    • Sport
    • Occult
    • Poetry
    • Other (how could you forget iff?)
    • Ì don't read/I don't read non fiction
  7. 7. Where do you get your books?

• Book shops
    • Charity/second hand shops
    • Library
    • Friends/Family
    • Coolege / Professional body for school/educational/work etc
    • Find them lying around places and just take them
    • Other
    • I don't read
  8. 8. What is your prime reason for getting a book

• friends/family reccomendations
    • internet forum/blog/website reccomendations
    • newspaper reviews
    • book awards nominated books
    • seen it in shop/library and went for it
    • Find them lying around places and just take them
    • Assigned for school/work/college etc
    • Other
    • I don't read
    • film/tv adaptation made/being made
    • to increase my knowledge on the subject
    • why not?
  9. 9. How important is this to you that you read books in translation?

• All/most books I read are translated
    • It is good to read a mix of both translated and literature in my own language
    • Mostly in my own language but occasionally in translation
    • I only read books in my own language
    • I don't look at whether the books are translated or not.
    • I don't read
    • I read mainly educational books so these are in my own language by default
  10. 10. Have you a TBR pile/shelf (TBR = To Be Read) and how does it look?

• None, I read on a book by book basic
    • under 5 books on my tbr shelf
    • 6 - 10 books on my tbr shelf
    • 11 - 20 books on my tbr shelf
    • 21 - 50 books on my tbr shelf
    • 51 - 100 books on my tbr shelf
    • 100 - 200 books on my tbr shelf. The shelf actually broke because of the weight on it
    • 200 + books - i've got a problem on buying books.
    • I don't read.

This poll is closed to new votes

this is a long poll , as you can see by scrolling down to this post after all the questions.

I know I will have missed stuff so sorry :(:( 

I have used as a help to the questions previous threads on reading so I hope it helps in not forgetting something I should have included.

And when I say read, this also includes audio books to be clear

oh and the last question relates to tbr piles. there is a japanese word

Tsundoku (Japanese)
The act of leaving a book unread after buying it, which often involves putting it in a pile with other unread books

At the moment I'm mostly interested in reading books in the languages I learn, because this is good  for practice.

I would prefer them being written originally in those languages but would still consider reading things that were translated into these languages

I generally read whatever catches my interest. No real method to my madness.

Yeah, books are a major thing in my life :D

Having said that, I went through a major reading drought last year, with slightly more than measly 10 books read throughout the whole of 2016 (and a good part of that during one short burst). This year so far seems to be similar... I picked the "20-30" option, though, because I distinctly remember reading way more before the said drought set in.

I read only paper books. I don't have an e--book reader and going through a long text when I'm on my laptop is a chore, not a pleasure reading is supposed to be. Likewise, I don't go through audiobooks for pleasure (even though I'm involved in producing them as a reader).

In terms of fiction vast majority of what I've been reading in the recent years is crime/procedural novels. Thrillers and horrors are welcome too. (I'm finishing a spy novel right now). I used to be heavily into fantasy for years, but I got bored. Non-fiction would mostly be history-related. As a matter of fact I have one on my pile right now.

Most of what I read is translated into my native Polish. The only other language in which I read unabridged literature is English, although I rarely pick up a book in English these days, especially now that a British library next to me was closed. The original languages of books vary: I like Scandinavian authors, but I also have an Italian favourite; English is very significant too, as most of the foreign fiction sold here is translated from that language.

I usually check out books from a library; fortunately my city has a well-stocked network of those. Sometimes I'm on the lookout for a specific book which I saw mentioned somewhere, but more often I just pick something after the blurb piques my curiosity.

EDIT:

@Mystic Maya

I tried reading books in Italian and Spanish as a language-learning exercise, but I usually ended up frustrated and wondering why I saddle myself with all these little-used words and expressions, when what I need is something much more relevant to every day life.  How does that method (reading for vocab) work for you? Do you read unabridged texts or simplified ones?

Question 9 was confusing. Answers 1 and 4 seem identical, but there is no answer for "I only read books in their original language"

I'm also not super comfortable taking this poll keeping audiobooks in mind.
While I do read and listen to audiobooks, the latter definitely increases the number in 2.
And it's just imo not the same :/
The level of engagement is different, as is the level of investment (I can listen to an audiobook just to kill the time when walking or driving somewhere, but picking up a book and reading is a dedicated investment of time)

I only read fiction.  I wish I read non-fiction too.  I attempt it occasionally.  I'm a little ways into the first book in Caro's LBJ biography, quite a character he seemed to have been, it's entertaining thus far.  I've also read, like, a few pages of philosophy here and there, but I mean, literally, a few pages.  I scan the news and stuff.  Well, I scan (some) of the headlines anyway. 

But it's pretty much all fiction.  Varies.  Some manga, a little science fiction... I also picked classic literature or whatever though offhand I can't think of anything classic I've read except for school.  Crime and Punishment, but I was actually supposed to have read that for school (and mostly did).  But I enjoyed some of those a good deal.  I read fiction because it passes the time and I find it entertaining.  My own life is pretty dull.  I get most of my books from the library, though I buy some as well.  Occasionally, I just pick up a random book, sometimes I go with a popular author I've read before, sometimes based on what's popular and/or well-reviewed.

I always have a number of books in progress, but the actual progress isn't much, so I'm probably reading about a book a month is all, maybe less.  There's so much TV to watch.

1 hour ago, Dreamer23 said:

Question 9 was confusing. Answers 1 and 4 seem identical, but there is no answer for "I only read books in their original language"

Yes, looking at it again, the fault lies with my own inarticulation.

My intention on the fourth option being 

"I only read books originally in my own language". 

The other flaw with this question being it ignores people reading books outside of their own language.

I apologise for my error

3 hours ago, iff said:

Tsundoku

If this were a martial art I would have black belt! :lol: I don't have a shelf of BTR - I have a bookcase of them (plus the overflow stacks...).

How does one read 200-300 books in a year!? I can barely manage 40+. :)

I read fantasy, sci-fi, mysteries, adventure, humor, biographies, science, history, and occasionally other stuff that catches my eye.

I love the physicality of paper books, picking them up, smelling them, leafing through the pages, looking at the pictures, and reading them. There is nothing like picking up and reading a hefty hardback book, or browsing around through shelves and tables of books at bookstores. :) 

I don't seek out or limit my reading to books that were originally written in English, although it's the only language I know enough of to read so a book has to be in English for me to be able to read it. Probably the vast majority (99.99+%?) of the books I read were originally written in English, but not because I seek out them out.

@iff

How about your answers? :)

@daveb

Yeah, I can't imagine reading that much either. I'm on one forum where there are many hardcore readers whose exploits in this field make my jaw drop, but I guess that would be considered rather extreme even by their standards.

I read pretty much everything. If I am eating a dinner and don't have a book at hand I will read packaging info.

I read mostly fiction, crime, historical books, or anything that catches my eye. Also some non-fiction, mostly work related. Love physical books, the paper, the smell, the weight, all that is important, but for the sake of space (my flat is tiny and already filled with books) I mostly buy ebooks now. I hate abandoning book halfway through and would usually read to the end, unless it's very very bad.

14 minutes ago, iff said:

The other flaw with this question being it ignores people reading books outside of their own language.

I apologise for my error

To be fair, I assume this only affects a small amount of Aven.

But being a non-native English-speaker, all books I end up reading just happen to be in a language that's not my own. (Most books these days are simply written in English, and the original is definitely preferable to translations if you can read both!)

Also no need to apologize, it's a scenario most people don't think about. And I'm sorry if I sounded accusatory / offending in any way (your response somewhat makes me feel like I did) - I definitely didn't mean to!!! :redface:

35 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

@iff

How about your answers? :)

For the last couple of years, I've read on average 40-50, mostly being fiction. I think last year, only 4 were non-fiction. They would be in physical form.

My favourite fiction categories are historical fiction,  comedy/satire and classic literature

For nonfiction, I realise I forgot travel as a category. My favourite is history - countries/places, humour and sport, though when I say sports, I really mean cycling. I love cycling :)

Mostly I got my books in bookshops but I also buy online too. Mainly if I am buying online it is because my brother asked me to get him something off Amazon and I'm adding books to bring it to free postage.

Another category here could have  been as gifts/presents.

Newspaper review is a big source for me. I find myself usually liking recommendations by the Irish times' Eileen battersby. Less so but important being forum recommendations, book prize shortlists (though I should note what is important here is whether some from the list were already on my reading list which then motivates me to read more from the list) and then impulse too.

I like to read a mix of both works originally in English and translated works. I am not a big traveller myself but I do enjoy learning about foreign places and history and novels help in this regard.

My tbr shelf currently has 14 books on it.

29 minutes ago, Dreamer23 said:

To be fair, I assume this only affects a small amount of Aven.

But being a non-native English-speaker, all books I end up reading just happen to be in a language that's not my own. (Most books these days are simply written in English, and the original is definitely preferable to translations if you can read both!)

Also no need to apologize, it's a scenario most people don't think about. And I'm sorry if I sounded accusatory / offending in any way (your response somewhat makes me feel like I did) - I definitely didn't mean to!!! :redface:

Thanks, these suggestions help for doing future polls on this and so they are of benefit. It helps to improve future polls. 

I read only in English but it has been on my to do list to read a novel in German, preferably one I have read before in English. I had done German in school but that was some time ago.

Grumpy Alien

I answered that I don't read books since it's been years but then filled the rest out with my interests as a former bookworm. I used to read about equal amounts of fiction and nonfiction. I like romance, educational nonfiction, and war books. I would read physical books or e-books. I would get them from bookshops, antique stores, or online mostly. I don't look at if a book has been translated but I only know English fluently enough to comfortably read. I get books because WHY NOT? And I have up to 20 books I've accumulated over the years that I want to read but haven't gotten around to actually reading.

Alrighty, audio-books or no, guess I'm answering this! :)
I do read/listen to almost exclusively fiction. The last non-fiction book has to have been years.
Of that, I exclusively listen to Fantasy, but read about a 3-1 ratio of Sci-Fi to fantasy (so mostly Sci-Fi)
Nearly all of my books are from Amazon and Audiobooks from Audible, cause, well, I'm lazy :P (And their rating system is pretty useful!)
I also only read books in English (which is my second language), just cause that's what most authors write in.
And yes, I do have a TBR stack! If I counted right it currently contains 11 books :D

I have a partially physical TBR stack, most of it is on a TBR list I have written down, I don't have enough income to buy the entire list at once. I read about one book a weekend when I don't have a ton of school work, and then I read a textbook a weekend. I read mostly in English but I have many books translated from Hebrew or Chinese.

SamwiseLovesLife

You know what, I almost clicked erotica. The reason for this is the only sex I've found interesting/enjoyable is in books (NOT tv/movies) as there's so much written about the feelings- when it's not, or just about sex and no romance It makes me uncomfortable and I put it down. It's probably the 4th top of my fiction genres. Weird :')

I adore Scifi/fantasy and Adventure stories. I read a ton of self-help books or autobiographies that have a self-help twist. I also like to read on topics that interest me like the psychology behind sexuality in animals and humans.

Books are the very best. The closest you can get to stepping into another person's head.

BUT WHY IS THERE NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO READ. Sure I read 41-59 books a year but I WANT MOOOOORE

20 minutes ago, Josie P said:

Books are the very best. The closest you can get to stepping into another person's head.

Reminds me of Andres Neumann quote

"If writing allows us to talk to ourselves, then reading and translating are very much like having a conversation"

Recently I started reading books in English because many interested titles are not translated in my native language and I think this is best way to improve my skills in it. Most of the time I read fantasy and Sci-fi  books and non fiction books sometimes novels or classic literature it depends. 

When I have occasion I like to buy paper books but In Poland they are so expensive for many reasons and situation in this matter will be no better in the future
but when I find title that I want to have on my bookshelf I always buy it no matter what.

E-books are option for me only when I can't buy particular book. Audiobooks are no option for me becasue I can't concetrate on audio and I don't have so much attention span for it. 
In TBR matter I'm so hopless example of this problem. I have many books to read in physical form on my bookshelf and I always buy new one even if I try to told myself that I have enough to read.

Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion

I read a lot, depending on what else I am busy doing. I also like re-reading a lot.
I read mostly young adult stuff. Fantasy and sci fi predominantly. 
My range is waaayyy limited now I have to use audiobooks for everything (yay, brain vision glitch thing). But I am getting super fast at reading audiobooks too, so there is that :)

I can't follow an audiobook plot unless I focus hard and do nothing more throughout the duration of the recording.

Also, I have no qualms over abandoning a half-read book that I have lost interest in. Apparently, many people feel somehow obliged to finish one at all cost, whereas I am like "whatever".

I like re-reading books too. There's this fantasy cycle ("Black Company") that I used to re-read every year for several years.

It used to be normal thing for me to read several books at the same time. I hardly ever do it nowadays, though.

3 hours ago, Piotrek said:

Also, I have no qualms over abandoning a half-read book that I have lost interest in. Apparently, many people feel somehow obliged to finish one at all cost, whereas I am like "whatever".

Me too. When I know for sure that this book have horrible plot or protagonist iritate me during reading I don't have qualms to stop and put back book on the shelf.

chair jockey

I apologize for not reading this whole thread, but there is only one other person who voted with me in each of two of the categories: (1) reads nonfiction only, and (2) reads ebooks only. Could those two people or one person please respond in this thread so we can compare notes? Please tag me as well.

@Mauru

@mari123

Spoiler

What is it with the recent influx of Polish/Poland-based users? O.o I mean, it's cool, don't get me wrong. :D

On topic: funny thing is that sometimes I like the book, there's nothing wrong with it but then I suddenly lose interest and back to a library it goes.

@Piotrek

Spoiler

I'm newbie in this forum and I'm not offended by your statement at all.  I'm so reassured that I find someone from Poland I thought that I was alone :D

On topic: I have issue that I read few books at the same time and most of the time I don't end any one of them. 

@Piotrek@mari123

We are everywhere so it makes sense on this forum too

:P There is a Polish topic in Meetup I think, but pretty much dead

For a long time I couldn't leave a book unfinished, no matter how bad it was. I got better though.

Oh, boy...is this a subject near and dear to my heart. I am mostly a real fantasy/ sword & sorcery nerd. I also love long running series, because I get the chance to truly get invested in the author's verse. For example, I have all books in the Dragonlance series, all books in the Sword of Shannara series, all books By Raymon E. Feist that deal with the Midkemia verse (beginning with the Riftwar Saga volumes to the last books encompassing the Darkwar Saga. In fact, I'm currently re-reading my way through the entire series for the..well, umpteenth time :D). I also have all three books he wrote in collaboration with Janny Wurts that dealt with the world at the other side of the rift in the initial books (the Daughter, Servant, and Mistress of the Empire trilogy) and, off course, all four books byTolkien, just to name a few. I also tend to buy all books by favored authors as they come out, because I know it is highly unlikely that it will result in a disappointing read. again, to name a few: Robert E, McCammon, Stephen King, Anne Rice (I happen to like her prose), Brian Lumley...etc.

During the cooler months in my home city, I can often be found at either a park, or the patio in some cafe, book in hand and beverage at my side...heaven :)...barring any unwelcome interruptions by those who seem to think that reading in public= must be in need of company.

On 18/3/2017 at 4:38 PM, Piotrek said:

EDIT:

@Mystic Maya

I tried reading books in Italian and Spanish as a language-learning exercise, but I usually ended up frustrated and wondering why I saddle myself with all these little-used words and expressions, when what I need is something much more relevant to every day life.  How does that method (reading for vocab) work for you? Do you read unabridged texts or simplified ones?

My level of Italian is advanced (I do everything I can in Italian if it's an option) so I don't really ever have problems to read and understand what is happening, so It's very effective for practicing to me (I also like to play text heavy rpgs in Italian if I can). The books I read at the moment are aimed at a younger/young adult audience so that maybe makes them less complicated. I find that descriptions of scenery tend to be the hardest moments because they introduce a lot of new vocabulary fast. If you want to read old classics in Italian, even native speakers can find those tough because of how the language has changed since. 

Ebooks actually have an advantage over physical books for language practice because you can tap words you don't know to open a dictionary for them. It's flawed because in italian it gets confused about a lot of conjugations and doesn't recognize them as words.

I'd overall say that it's a great way to practice language, but probably if you already have some proficiency.

6 hours ago, Mystic Maya said:

My level of Italian is advanced (I do everything I can in Italian if it's an option) so I don't really ever have problems to read and understand what is happening (...)

Ah... thanks for clarification. That explains a lot :)

I'd overall say that it's a great way to practice language, but probably if you already have some proficiency.

I totally agree :) That's why I have no major problems with reading literature in English.

@Zendalis

I'm familiar with many of these cycles too from the times when I devoured fantasy like crazy :) I read much Dragonlance, a few books from the Riftwar saga (though not the ones set in the enemy land) and most of Shannara. Also, I like Stephen King too :)

2 hours ago, Piotrek said:

@Zendalis

I'm familiar with many of these cycles too from the times when I devoured fantasy like crazy :) I read much Dragonlance, a few books from the Riftwar saga (though not the ones set in the enemy land) and most of Shannara. Also, I like Stephen King too :)

If you get a chance, do read that trilogy. It is extremely entertaining, fascinating, and complex in all the very best ways. I heartily recommend it! 

Archived