Thoughts on Trump's Budget proposal?

Dreamer23

2 hours ago, Dreamer23 said:

Hey, that's a good point! :)

Based on your later posts it sounds like you don't have health insurance, so its pricing going up won't affect you (and as you called out, you'll actually save the fees you'd otherwise have incurred for being uninsured.)

I realize LIHEAP would probably be less than the insurance fee - I assume you're not overly concerned about that?

What about CDBG - any concerns about a ginormous rent increase, or does your place not benefit from any of the affordable housing bills?

Yeah, it definitely sounds like some people might be better off. I'd love to see someone from the government actually do the real math and give us the numbers of beneficiaries of the proposed budget vs. number of people it will hurt. (I personally still think the latter is the higher number, but I don't have hard data to back that, so it'd be really nice to know the facts.)

You cannot function if you try to help everyone. So focusing on people who actually give back to society is the only way to go. Even if some people get the short end of the stick. It is a necessary evil. Entitlement is a privilage, not a career path. It should never be a solution and only an aide. Even if some people are fucked. You can't help everyone and do well. 

Am I the only one around here who doesn't want government hand outs? Seriously, I don't think we should have any. It is not a good thing to have them to begin with. Then taking pride in the fact you have good ones is terrible from a budget perspective. 

I'm not surprised about his choices, but...huh. Has the Education budget always been that bad over time? If so, I can finally see why all of the schools I had to go to before going to college SUCKED! I need to pay attention to our politics and economics more often.

People who don't carry health insurance will benefit from not having to pay a penalty, as they did under Obamacare.

However, if they get sick and need care, or need expensive medication, or need an operation, they will be up sh*t creek.   The cancer operation I had 3 years ago cost $73,000.  Because I had health insurance, it cost me $200.  If I hadn't had  insurance, I couldn't have had the operation unless I had $73,000 cash and could pay for it myself.   This is the US, Tofu, not Europe.   

Meanwhile I believe paying 2000 dollars is much..

21 minutes ago, ThaHoward said:

Meanwhile I believe paying 2000 dollars is much..

It was $200.  But actually not that much difference.   And I pay $290/month for insurance, plus co-pays and doctor visits and medications, even though I'm on Medicare.   

Let us all take comfort in the fact that "Trump" is British onomatopoeia for a fart.

Every time we say "Trump", we must also say "Excuse the smell!"

I'm pissed, but I'm trying to stay optimistic; I live in Tennessee, and my life is going to suck for the rest of Trump's presidency.

Sorry, excuse the smell.

Perissodactyla

I am fairly certain the Drumpf will not last very long as POTUS. Please pay attention to what started today with the congressional hearings on Russian-Drumpf links when interviewing the directors of the FBI and the NSA.

And if Pence survives this drama... that is where the more significant attack on the US Constitution and Human Rights will play out.

Everyone really needs to focus on where Pence got his funding and support during the last several years and WHY.

I can hardly stand to think about Pence.  This is the worst lineup of possible Presidential successors I've ever seern.  Trump, then Pence, then Paul Ryan.  

I actually think I'd rather have Trump stumble along for another 4 years -- maybe by then the Republican Party will be in such a shambles, it won't rise for the rest of my life, at least.  

Perissodactyla
Published on Mar 21, 2017

Donald Drumpf's new budget proposal slashes funds for the arts, humanities, and Meals on Wheels. In fact, it's so vile that Stephen's identical twin cousin returned to praise it.

Drumpf's budget eliminates arts, public broadcasting spending

Video

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/entertainment/trumps-budget-eliminates-arts-public-broadcasting-spending/2017/03/16/29d1907e-0a44-11e7-bd19-fd3afa0f7e2a_video.html

19 hours ago, Sally said:

People who don't carry health insurance will benefit from not having to pay a penalty, as they did under Obamacare.

However, if they get sick and need care, or need expensive medication, or need an operation, they will be up sh*t creek.   The cancer operation I had 3 years ago cost $73,000.  Because I had health insurance, it cost me $200.  If I hadn't had  insurance, I couldn't have had the operation unless I had $73,000 cash and could pay for it myself.   This is the US, Tofu, not Europe.   

There is another way to pay for healthcare without insurance. Just walk into hospital and in the end the hospital will eventually write it off. Those who do not like government hand outs, can rely on hospital hand outs. (Some hospitals get compensated by the govt for the loss, but I rather not get deep into the subject since I don't have time to research this).

Having medical insurance =/= it helping you. In fact, last couple of years. Having coverage actually hurt you big time if you were not literally disabled and unable to work. Due to extreme premiums, and absurd monthly costs. The people who payed into Obamacare the last couple of years, probably didn't even get to use the insurance. All that money, went to the few million people not paying into the system that were using welfare because they can't work. Literally, the majority of the middle class and lower middle class were getting fucked, so that the people who can't work could get benefits, while getting nothing in return but poverty and high medical bills still.

The problem isn't the insurance, it is everything else. It is big pharma, patents etc. Insurance will go down, if you fix the source of the high costs. 

@Sally how many years did you have to pay those absurd costs, to even get that paid for? Also, I am sure Cancer has a ton of programs that pay into insurance companies that help cover everything. Since it is one of the biggest things that people donate to. It really is a case by case basis in this sense. Since every problem has its own unique costs and people who donate to that cause to help cover for treatments. 

200$ is way too much for me to pay. I can only afford about $30/m in insurance. I used to have insurance that cost this much, but no more under Obamacare. My old insurance covered 700$ out of every 1000$. 

• 2 weeks later...
The Terrible Travis
On 3/18/2017 at 1:38 PM, スバル said:

Too many things were disproportionately recieving much higher funds than they needed.

Like the military?

This is actual need vs idealism.

This pathetic budget is perhaps the exact opposite of "actual need". He's cutting things that are already underfunded as they are and increasing spending on things are already vastly overfunded. The exact opposite of what he should be doing.

The cuts will produce immediate results, instead of investing in things that have no return. In times of depression and war. You have to redirect funding to what's happening right now and prioritize results over "helping the poor". 

Ah, yes. The United States should prioritize killing more people abroad instead of helping out their own people. That makes sense.

Can't beat Isis with our diminished military we got right now.

We can't beat ISIS with a president that openly spouts anti-Muslim rhetoric that only serves to empower ISIS. Increasing the brutality of military attacks and going as far as to commit war crimes as Trump has suggested in the past will not defeat ISIS. This isn't some new, genius idea that Trump has come up with. The War on Terror has been trieed before. It's a failed strategy.

Also, it's flat our ridiculous to say that our military is "diminished". We spend more on our military than the next seven countries combined. Our military is the exact opposite of diminished. 

EPA cuts were necessary, but it doesn't mean its permanent. So quit freaking out. The earth isn't going to die. Each side has its fear mongering topics. Usually both are blown way outta proportion.

So let me get this straight. With the growing threat of climate change on the horizon and 2016 being the third year in a row to break records and become the hottest, it's necessary to cut funding for the Environmental Protection Agency? No, if anything, funding for it needs to be increased. Scientists are warning that climate change is even worse than we thought and yet the right continues to bury their heads in the sand and pretend as if it's no problem at all and peddle bullshit talking points that simply repeating what scientists say is "fear mongering". It really is pathetic.

And I notice that you never call out Trump's fear mongering regarding illegal immigration. I wonder why?

@AcePsycho86

There is no proof that switching to "Green energy" is going to stop climate change. Not to mention, we can't stop China from being the biggest factor in its acceleration. So even if we did, it is not going to slow down. So yes, it is a huge waste of money. Its like piling up sandbags around your house, to stop a tsunami, and spending more on those sandbags than the cost of moving into a new house. Climate change happens naturally as well. So even if we removed carbon emmissions entirely, there is no proof the planet won't still heat up. Climate change also isn't the fucking apocalypse so calm down. 

America's military is literally also like 60 other countries militaries all over the world maintaining peace in certain areas. So its funding isn't disproportionate in reality, it is probably underfunded. (I've told you this many times, but you choose to ignore it). Trust me, I would love if America would stop being such, but it isn't up to me. That doesn't mean I am going to shit on America for maintaining peace in areas like the Far East. 

Then with your comments about "killing people" is complete and utter nonsense. You can't fight a fucking war without killing people. Yes, that includes civilians. 

Also, if there was literally a religion that got more radicalized the more your criticized it. Why the fuck would you ever let it into your country? That is just foolish.

On 3/21/2017 at 11:47 AM, スバル said:

@Sally how many years did you have to pay those absurd costs, to even get that paid for? Also, I am sure Cancer has a ton of programs that pay into insurance companies that help cover everything. Since it is one of the biggest things that people donate to. It really is a case by case basis in this sense. Since every problem has its own unique costs and people who donate to that cause to help cover for treatments. 

You're sure about that, are you?   Odd, I couldn't find those "ton of  programs".  Perhaps you could point them out for other people who might need them.   <_<

8 hours ago, スバル said:

Not to mention, we can't stop China from being the biggest factor in its acceleration. So even if we did, it is not going to slow down. So yes, it is a huge waste of money.

Pointing at other nations won't take away your own responsibility... kindergarten level argumentation. "But they did it, too!"

8 hours ago, スバル said:

Climate change also isn't the fucking apocalypse so calm down. 

Who needs the Netherlands and all those South Seas islands anyway.

8 hours ago, スバル said:

America's military is literally also like 60 other countries militaries all over the world maintaining peace in certain areas.

Yeah, Americas track record in "maintaining peace" is really impressive <_<

8 hours ago, スバル said:

You can't fight a fucking war without killing people.

You also wouldn't need to fight a war if you don't start one. Just sayin'.

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

Not that good to be honest.

Archived