Thoughts on Trump's Budget proposal?

Dreamer23

2C3zGUJ.png

Post your thoughts!

(Note that those are just percentages relative to the current spending of each item. In absolute numbers, the increase in the bottom three more than makes up for the cuts in everything above combined.)

I agree with @daveb, I'm not surprised but still despairing. One thing that I find the most interesting is the cuts to things like Small Buisiness that he touted in the election to get votes, but not shocked. And to be honest, it's a pretty unusually tough but normal in concept budget from a Republican president: cut spending, reduce regulation, shrink government, but increase military expenditure. Though I've heard a rumor (possibly, I need to double check the facts on this one) that the Coast Guard is going to experience cuts, even though it's part of the military.

http://www.rense.com/general37/char.htm

4. Supremacy of the Military - Even when there are widespread

domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized.

7. Obsession with National Security - Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses.

11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts - Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts and letters is openly attacked.

12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment - Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations.

He wants to boost infrastructure spending but is cutting Corps of Engineers and Transportation?  I work for the Corps and right now my chiefs are having a Hell of a time trying to make sense of everything.  We were already understaffed (thanks climate change) and looking to expand our section as of 2016 and now we're supposed to be cutting?  We can't even fill open positions in our section (due to people transferring or leaving for other opportunities) because of the hiring freeze.

It's all so incredibly stupid that I can't believe this is reality.  Here's to hoping the Republicans' new healthcare plan kills off their poor and elderly constituents quickly so we can clean up this shitstorm ASAP.  My pity goes to those that didn't vote for them, but who will still have to pay the consequences.

Some things were obviously gonna happen - like increases to military spending and cuts to fighting climate change.
Other thins like cutting e.g. research doesn't seem very Republican, but it does seem to fit Trump.

However, there were a few things I didn't expect:
1. Social programs like the Community Development Block Grant, LIHEAP, or College Scholarship programs for the poor, and the whole 4 billion Housing and Urban Development cut, 2.5 billion out of job programs for seniors, poor young people and the unemployed.
--> While maybe not a 100% match with his core voters, a good chunk of the unemployed is his core base, as are under-payed workers who will be harmed by this.
2. FTA -> What about the increased infrastructure spending???
3. Cuts to counter-terrorism with all his fighting ISIS agenda points?
4. 2.5 billion for the wall (for this year)... could've been more.
5. On the other hand there seem to be quite some benefits for richer folk, like an increased funding for private schools, which definitely doesn't seem to fit his populism.

I mean, the tax cuts for the rich had to be expected, just cause he's Republican and all, but now with significant cuts to spending that would help the un- or underemployed as well as increasing insurance costs for poor and old people a lot lot, while making it significantly cheaper for rich people???
Seriously makes you wonder if he even reads those bills the GOP puts onto his desk :/
(Just my opinion though - I'd love to hear yours, particularly if you are in general in favor of Trump! Is this what you expected?)

Too many things were disproportionately recieving much higher funds than they needed. This is actual need vs idealism. The cuts will produce immediate results, instead of investing in things that have no return. In times of depression and war. You have to redirect funding to what's happening right now and prioritize results over "helping the poor". Can't beat Isis with our diminished military we got right now. EPA cuts were necessary, but it doesn't mean its permanent. So quit freaking out. The earth isn't going to die. Each side has its fear mongering topics. Usually both are blown way outta proportion. 

None of this is Fascism, Jesus christ. Is fascism going to go the same route as the word racist? The more you keep misusing it, the less effect it has. Trump is doing everything properly within his constitutional power. 

He is cutting programs that cost figuratively pennies that will hurt many people in the country, including a lot of his own supporters. He is giving much much larger increases to military and tax cuts for the wealthy that are certainly not balanced by cutting pennies from social programs like Meals on Wheels. The programs he is cutting are big Republican priorities for show, not for budgeting. They like putting poor people in their places.

And cutting the Coast Guard is only going to last until one of his billionaire friends in their yacht becomes stranded off shore and requires rescuing. LOL!

Perissodactyla

DRUMPF - AMERICA'S FIRST RIDICULOUS PRESIDENT

Union leader: The American people are going to lose if Congress passes this budget 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/politics/the-american-people-are-going-to-lose-if-congress-passes-this-budget/2017/03/16/c197a7dc-0a9d-11e7-bd19-fd3afa0f7e2a_video.html

Al Franken may be the perfect senator for the Drumpf era — a deadly serious funnyman

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/al-franken-has-found-a-new-role-in-the-trump-era/2017/03/18/247737bc-0b54-11e7-a15f-a58d4a988474_story.html

4 hours ago, Dreamer23 said:

I mean, the tax cuts for the rich had to be expected, just cause he's Republican and all, but now with significant cuts to spending that would help the un- or underemployed as well as increasing insurance costs for poor and old people a lot lot, while making it significantly cheaper for rich people???

I don't think any of that is surprising. He made lots of statements and promises to appeal to the "poorly educated" (who he loves) and low income people and such, about helping them by doing things like getting cheaper better healthcare that would cover everyone, bringing jobs back to the US, and generally "mak[ing] America Great Again" (which he never really explained what that meant). And his supporters bought it all because they think he is a great businessman and tells the truth (because he said what they wanted to hear, I assume).

But anyone who really paid attention shouldn't be surprised by the proposed budget. Just look at his picks for various posts, or what the administration has been saying about things (like dismantling government). It's also not wildly different from what the Republican party in general has been wanting to do for years.

29 minutes ago, daveb said:

It's also not wildly different from what the Republican party in general has been wanting to do for years.

That's the point though. Throughout his campaign, he didn't really seem to fly very well with the GOP. Heck, he probably insulted all major established republicans and their families, and the hate did seem rather mutual. Having a budget proposal that does look so incredibly generic Republican DOES surprise me.

Perissodactyla
4 minutes ago, Dreamer23 said:

That's the point though. Throughout his campaign, he didn't really seem to fly very well with the GOP. Heck, he probably insulted all major established republicans and their families, and the hate did seem rather mutual. Having a budget proposal that does look so incredibly generic Republican DOES surprise me.

Drumpf has NO idea what he's doing. He's a con-artist and a fraud. The only thing he can do to appear credible is take directions while continuing to play out this facade of his which is completely EMPTY and BOGUS.

Majority of Young Americans See Drumpf as ‘Illegitimate,’ Poll Finds

http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/majority_of_young_americans_see_trump_as_illegitimate_poll_finds_20170318

2 minutes ago, euco said:

Drumpf has NO idea what he's doing. He's a con-artist and a fraud. The only thing he can do to appear credible is take directions while continuing to play out this facade of his which is completely EMPTY and BOGUS.

Now, while I certainly wouldn't have voted for Trump (if I was allowed to vote), statements like those aren't very productive.

From what I understand, this section of Aven is for political discourse, not rambling about your ideologies and what you think of people.

Feel free to contribute with data-backed opinions or at least posts that aren't just insulting people and killing any chance of having an actual conversation.

Perissodactyla

The Enemy Is Not Donald Drumpf or Steve Bannon—It Is Corporate Power (Video)

Chris Hedges Delivers the Ultimate Drumpf Takedown

This isn't a Trump budget.  This is a Steve Bannon budget.  Bannon wants to kill the "administrative state"; he's said as such.  That means everything that's administered by bureaucrats in federal departments, and all those cuts are to programs that are administered.  The military budget, on the other hand, is not, and that's all that's important.  

I want thorough examinations and explanations as to why these changes are proposed - 30% cannot be easily excused or validated 

50 minutes ago, flowerage said:

I want thorough examinations and explanations as to why these changes are proposed - 30% cannot be easily excused or validated 

I don't understand what you are asking or saying.  

Everyone says Trump is cutting things for poor people, but I have yet to feel a single cut. In fact, I have saved money thanks to Trump. I make well below the Poverty line, and have never been to college. 

On a side note, fuck bureaucracy. Cut all the things!

1 hour ago, Livyatan said:

Everyone says Trump is cutting things for poor people, but I have yet to feel a single cut. In fact, I have saved money thanks to Trump. I make well below the Poverty line, and have never been to college.

That's probably because you have a poor understanding of finance, economics, and logic in general.  Seriously, didn't you at one point suggest you were doing "fine" financially despite needing your girlfriend to help you with your bills?

You make about as much sense as Trump wanting to increase funding to infrastructure while cutting funding to two of the government agencies most involved with it.

1 hour ago, Livyatan said:

Everyone says Trump is cutting things for poor people, but I have yet to feel a single cut. 

The budget hasn't take effect yet, Tofu.  This will be the budget starting in 2018.   His proposed budget is what we're reading about now, and it does contain a lot of cuts for poor people.  It also  contains tax cuts for rich people.  

I can't believe we actually have to explain to him why he isn't feeling the effects of a PROPOSED budget.

Jesus Christ.

1 hour ago, Sally said:

The budget hasn't take effect yet, Tofu.  This will be the budget starting in 2018.   His proposed budget is what we're reading about now, and it does contain a lot of cuts for poor people.  It also  contains tax cuts for rich people.  

Either or, cuts or no cuts. I won't feel it. Mostly because I am not a person who relies on the government to help me through tough times. My biggest concern was the yearly tax with Obama care. Now that it is gone, I will save hundreds a year. If Trump changes how tax works, I might be paying even less (FICA) each week. 

1 hour ago, Zerο said:

I can't believe we actually have to explain to him why he isn't feeling the effects of a PROPOSED budget.

Jesus Christ.

Not even talking about the budget, but the fines that were mandatory via Obamacare. I won't have to pay it this year. 

Can you get more rude? No wonder everyone blocks you after a period of time dealing with attitude like this.

18 minutes ago, Livyatan said:

Not even talking about the budget, but the fines that were mandatory via Obamacare. I won't have to pay it this year. 

So you came to a thread about the budget to not talk about the budget?  Smart.  By the way, just because you don't see a direct withdrawal/fine from the government doesn't mean you won't feel the results of them at the grocery store, tolls, etc.

25 minutes ago, Livyatan said:

Can you get more rude? No wonder everyone blocks you after a period of time dealing with attitude like this.

1) This isn't a popularity contest

2) If it was, you'd be losing horribly if the Likes are any indication.  Last I checked, I wasn't the one complaining about being alienated by the community and trying to hide my identity.

Sorry I was confusing, Sally (I like your name, by the way). What I'm trying to say:

America has the largest military budget in the world - instead of increasing military spending by billions, shouldn't we use the pre-existing $598.5 billion more efficiently? Military spending accounts for almost 54% of all federal discretionary spending already. The public should be informed as to *why* the administration wants to make this seemingly unnecessary change, why it is worth cutting the environmental protection agency by a third. Maybe with fear of public opinion/backlash, they will reconsider making -stupid decisions-

EPA expenditures in 2016: $10 billion

Cost of failed F-35 project: hundreds of billions so far, total expenses calculated at ~$1.5 trillion dollars through 2070

But yeah, just keep giving the military-industrial complex even more money.

How much money would the US save if they just stopped "exporting freedom" and "bringing democracy" (aka starting wars)...

10 hours ago, Livyatan said:

On a side note, fuck bureaucracy. Cut all the things!

Hey, that's a good point! :)

Based on your later posts it sounds like you don't have health insurance, so its pricing going up won't affect you (and as you called out, you'll actually save the fees you'd otherwise have incurred for being uninsured.)

I realize LIHEAP would probably be less than the insurance fee - I assume you're not overly concerned about that?

What about CDBG - any concerns about a ginormous rent increase, or does your place not benefit from any of the affordable housing bills?

Yeah, it definitely sounds like some people might be better off. I'd love to see someone from the government actually do the real math and give us the numbers of beneficiaries of the proposed budget vs. number of people it will hurt. (I personally still think the latter is the higher number, but I don't have hard data to back that, so it'd be really nice to know the facts.)

Perissodactyla

The Theme That Unites All Drumpf’s Initiatives Is Cruelty

Posted on Mar 19, 2017

The theme that unites all of Drumpf’s initiatives so far is their unnecessary cruelty.

1. His new budget comes down especially hard on the poor – imposing unprecedented cuts in low-income housing, job training, food assistance, legal services, help to distressed rural communities, nutrition for new mothers and their infants, funds to keep poor families warm, even “meals on wheels.”

These cuts come at a time when more American families are in poverty than ever before, including 1 in 5 children. 

Why is Drumpf doing this? To pay for the biggest hike in military spending since the 1980s. Yet the U.S. already spends more on its military than the next 7 biggest military budgets put together.

2. His plan to repeal and “replace” the Affordable Care Act will cause 14 million Americans to lose their health insurance next year, and 24 million by 2026.

Why is Drumpf doing this? To bestow $600 billion in tax breaks over the decade to wealthy Americans. This windfall comes at a time when the rich have accumulated more wealth than at any time in the nation’s history. 

The plan reduces the federal budget deficit by only $337 billion over the next ten years – a small fraction of the national debt, in exchange for an enormous amount of human hardship.

3. His ban on Syrian refugees and reduction by half in the total number of refugees admitted to the United States comes just when the world is experiencing the worst refugee crisis since World War II.

Why is Drumpf doing this? The ban does little or nothing to protect Americans from terrorism. No terrorist act in the United States has been perpetrated by a Syrian or by anyone from the six nations whose citizens are now banned from traveling to the United States. You have higher odds of being struck by lightening than dying from an immigrant terrorist attack.  

4. His dragnet roundup of undocumented immigrants is helter-skelter – including people who have been productive members of our society for decades, and young people who have been here since they were toddlers.

Why is Drumpf doing this? He has no compelling justification. Unemployment is down, crime is down, and we have fewer undocumented workers in the U.S. today than we did five years ago. 

Drumpf is embarking on an orgy of cruelty for absolutely no reason. This is morally repugnant. It violates every ideal this nation has ever cherished. We have a moral responsibility to stop it.

What we can learn from Drumpf's terrible budget

Archived