• Announcements

    • Kisa the Cat

      World Watch Archiving Project

      Hello everyone, Please read this thread before posting to World Watch Thank you.
    • Kisa the Cat

      Avenues May/June   05/09/17

      Hello AVENites! The newest edition of AVENues is now ready! Our theme this time was "ace connections".  May/June
Moderator

#BottyGate Time to tell this Hilarious story...

38 posts in this topic

I suggest you PM an admin if you aren't happy about this nudge. Rather than bringing this to the forum, it's inviting needless drama. 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ciri said:

I suggest you PM an admin if you aren't happy about this nudge. Rather than bringing this to the forum, it's inviting needless drama. 

If @Lord Grep wants that, then i'm more than happy to help him out. However, it's an old issue, I commented to have a conversation with the people here about it. If you don't want to participate in the conversation, you don't have to. 

But since you're here anyway. I posted this on March 20 in response to you saying
"Batty Boy" isn't "slang" in English for gay. It's actually incredibly offensive."
 

-It is here. usually the people who use it are homophobic or just kids messing around with bad words because their parents aren't around
Jamaica as a whole though is highly offensive to anything not Cis and Heterosexual. 

I don't see a reason to single out "batty man/boy" as being "highly offensive to gays" because it literally means gay. and to call someone gay in Jamaica is an insult in itself.

are you gay? = are you a batty man? disgusting gay=disgusting batty man  

*is Jamaican so would know* 

my British sister once said to my Jamaican sister "Being gay isn't bad" she replied "you've been living in the west for too long" there is a different culture there for sure

slang:

a type of language that consists of words and phrases that are regarded as very informal, are more common in speech than writing, and are typically restricted to a particular context or group of people.
"grass is slang for marijuana"

Do you have any comments on this 
ciri? I'm genuinely interested if you want to talk about it. But yeah, again, if you don't want to talk about it that's fine. I'll just have less against the points i put forward. ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AndyAce Your post is too long, so I'm not quoting. But I'd highly advise you not assume that my answer speaks for all admods. I wasn't on at the time of this report as I was sick. But some admods seemed to be bothered by the language involved. It's actually not uncommon for admods to send a nudge because the language involved could be offensive. We've actually done that with some of the Australian slang before (which ended up with our banned words list). I can't assume what happened, but what generally happens in these situations is we aim to inform a member that this could be offensive if they may not already be aware. Qute pointed out that they may not already be aware that it is offensive. At least one admod agreed after their post that it seems fair to inform them first.

 

As admods, we are inclined to nudge someone and inform them that they shouldn't be doing that before we warn them next time. Which seems to be what happened here. Grep used a word that could be offensive. Admods agreed that it could be offensive. Admods realized Grep may not be aware, and they backed down to give him a nudge to make him aware. As long as Grep doesn't use that word again, it shouldn't be an issue.

 

Also in terms with using other languages, you're allowed to, but if it gets reported then we can't really vouch for how good Google Translate is, it's just our only source most of the time. I'm more inclined to have someone translate it than use Google Translate. I don't trust Google Translate in the slightest and it's a last resort. The TOS states that you can speak whatever language you want, but be careful because Google Translate sucks and we may not be able to fully comprehend what's being said. Again, Grep should be made aware that using other languages is okay, but between all Admods, we don't know that many languages. Chances are that what we translate won't be the same as what is intended.

 

But is all of this really worth complaining about over a nudge? All Grep had to do was explain himself. We offer chat logs upon request. Grep could have and should have requested the logs and explained himself further rather than make a big deal out of it.

 

I mean, before I became a mod I've gotten quite a few nudges based on behavior that I wasn't aware wasn't okay. I  apologized and explained myself. I see this as no different.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Avenati Avocado said:

I'd highly advise you not assume that my answer speaks for all admods

of course,

I had assumed it was more than okay for me to have a discussion with the people on here about their opinions on the situation? I'm not making a big deal out of it, and i wouldn't compare what i'm doing to complaining? i'm opening conversation.

Since people here were starting to be a bit rude to Grep. and no one was addressing the points people made. I thought it only reasonable i join the "conversation"

If you ever feel the need to stop replying to me, then i do advise you to do so, you've been a huge help in terms of response even though my initial response wasn't directed at you, so thanks. Honestly. Thank you. 

But to answer your question. I do think what i'm doing now is worth something. 

the mods thought the language was explicit and sexual - i gave points that it wasn't
the mods thought botty was offensive - i gave points that it wasn't
There was uncertainty about the translation - I cleared it up

and since no one has solid counter points to dismiss what i'm saying as worth hearing, i'm sure you can understand why i'm still here, and will be until something interesting comes up.
 

1 hour ago, Avenati Avocado said:

It's actually not uncommon for admods to send a nudge because the language involved could be offensive.

so, out of curiosity, is it common for mods to give a nudge (3 day ban) to people who don't violate the ToS? (not particularly referring to any one case in particular, but generally speaking) 
and also, if they think something could be offensive and someone explains why it's not/or why there's a misunderstanding, would the nudge still be given if someone was offended?

As to why Grep isn't doing anything about it, i don't know, i haven't heard from him in a while. I kind of just replied on my own accord. He's probably over the situation, who knows? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AndyAce said:

so, out of curiosity, is it common for mods to give a nudge (3 day ban) to people who don't violate the ToS?

I believe that faerie and others have really explained and touched on all the points really thoroughly. But I will clarify this point: Lord Grep received a 3-day chat ban (since the incidents occurred in chat), just to make sure that's clear. Not a site ban. And 3 days is the default length for a chat ban accompanying a nudge, which can't be appealed. You can find that here in the Chat ToS:

Quote

The following guidelines may apply:

  • Nudge for behaviour in chat: 3 day chat ban that cannot be appealed
  • Warning for behaviour in chat: 2 weeks chat ban

Grep received a nudge for what we found to be offensive language against the ToS, and he received a default 3-day chat ban along with it. Like faerie (avenati avocado) said, he could have questioned it or explained his meaning after receiving the nudge, but he didn't, and that's up to him. If we decide the ToS was not broken, then no, there would be no chat ban as there wouldn't be a nudge or warn. Again, I think faerie explained everything very well to answer your questions.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What @kelico said.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2017 at 9:25 AM, AndyAce said:

If @Lord Grep wants that, then i'm more than happy to help him out. However, it's an old issue, I commented to have a conversation with the people here about it. If you don't want to participate in the conversation, you don't have to. 

But since you're here anyway. I posted this on March 20 in response to you saying
"Batty Boy" isn't "slang" in English for gay. It's actually incredibly offensive."
 

-It is here. usually the people who use it are homophobic or just kids messing around with bad words because their parents aren't around
Jamaica as a whole though is highly offensive to anything not Cis and Heterosexual. 

I don't see a reason to single out "batty man/boy" as being "highly offensive to gays" because it literally means gay. and to call someone gay in Jamaica is an insult in itself.

are you gay? = are you a batty man? disgusting gay=disgusting batty man  

*is Jamaican so would know* 

my British sister once said to my Jamaican sister "Being gay isn't bad" she replied "you've been living in the west for too long" there is a different culture there for sure

slang:

a type of language that consists of words and phrases that are regarded as very informal, are more common in speech than writing, and are typically restricted to a particular context or group of people.
"grass is slang for marijuana"

Do you have any comments on this 
ciri? I'm genuinely interested if you want to talk about it. But yeah, again, if you don't want to talk about it that's fine. I'll just have less against the points i put forward. ^^

Admods have made their stance on the word clear with this report. Unless admods revoke that stance, I highly encourage you not use the word 5 times in 1 post. Also, I highly encourage you not call an entire culture homophobic.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Locking this pending admod review, as it's straying from the point, and is starting to clutter the report forum too much 

 

Skycaptain , moderator Site comments

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.