Asexuality on Film

B.Holden

Not sure if this topic has been explored or not, but as a major cinephile, I'm curious to know about any and all representations of Aexuality in film (be it full-length movies or TV shows). I'm curious to see how well represented we are in the media! Comment the movies/TV shows you know of that contain one or more asexual characters or that reference asexuality. Also comment whether it is a good/accurate representation of the sexuality. 

The only movie I can think of featuring an asexual character is Repulsion, which is a horror movie about sex-repulsed woman who goes crazy because of all the pressure around her to have sex. So it's totally accurate, right? ;)  But honestly the depiction of asexuality frustrated me. Do any films get it right?

I believe jughead in the archie comics is apparently asexual. I read them a lot as a kid but never really knew much about sexuality. As of recent I have been reading some articles pertaining to the new tv show Riverdale and have been seeing a lot of mention of Jughead as an asexual!

SpeakoftheDevil

I think the character on Shadowhunters (TV show), Raphael, was confirmed asexual and they're going to be touching on it more explicitly later in the series.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any movies that actually confirm or use the word... mostly just ambiguous characters that aren't shown having interest. Like Sherlock, who would be a great example if literally every other producer wasn't like "nooo he's just too focused on his work, he doesn't like people..." bla bla bla

Jughead could be GREAT representation if Cole Sprouse was given licence over the character. But since he doesn't have any say he's being written as an introverted het for now. Maybe later though (as Sprouse hopes) they will be writing a self-discovery journey where he finally figures things out. It's still on the table.

Bonnie and Clyde (Arthur Penn, 1967). There's some interesting discussion of this online. Throughout the film, Clyde refuses to response to Bonnie's sexual advances. I doubt the director was thinking of asexuality in the way that we would think of it, but it was likely intended to show Clyde's distance from society and his focus on crime as the only thrill.

• 2 months later...
On 29/5/2017 at 7:30 PM, B.Holden said:

Was not aware of this, but I'm watching literally all of their videos right now.

me neither. thanks for the input! @euco

Archived