Songs you associate with your gender

The-world-is-quiet-here

I say for me the song 'Do it like a dude' by Jessie J. It's pretty obvious. XD

doubt it's really about gender, but it's my association to this and those don't usually care if they're far-fetched so:

Spoiler

(plus I just love this to bits)

J. van Deijck
4 minutes ago, fiѕh said:

doubt it's really about gender, but it's my association to this and those don't usually care if they're far-fetched so:

Hide contents

(plus I just love this to bits)

...this thumbnail picture, though XD

More of a music performance thing, but I find that playing To the Gods of Rhythm by Nebojša Jovan Živković really lets me channel my more masculine energy.

Spoiler

It's quick, aggressive, and often quite loud, but there's a gentleness to the plainchant section near the end. I first performed the piece right before I started HRT, and since then, I've found that I can dial back the aggression and still capture the spirit of the work. It's a ton of fun to play :) 

8 minutes ago, [noize:injekktion] said:

...this thumbnail picture, though XD

the video is pretty cool tho

J. van Deijck
15 minutes ago, fiѕh said:

the video is pretty cool tho

shall I watch? :D

14 minutes ago, [noize:injekktion] said:

shall I watch? :D

I'd tell you to watch Skins first but that'll take a while :lol: so just watch

J. van Deijck
3 minutes ago, fiѕh said:

I'd tell you to watch Skins first but that'll take a while :lol: so just watch

that TV series from Britain? XD I have watched the 1st episode I think :lol:

10 minutes ago, [noize:injekktion] said:

that TV series from Britain? XD I have watched the 1st episode I think :lol:

yeah that one. I've watched the first episode and thought "what kinda BS is this" and deleted the link, and got sucked into it a few months later. one of those guilty pleasure teen shows with teenagers having their teenager problems that I don't wanna like but then... I do. xD 

it's what the scenes in the videos are taken from anyway

J. van Deijck
9 minutes ago, fiѕh said:

yeah that one. I've watched the first episode and thought "what kinda BS is this" and deleted the link, and got sucked into it a few months later. one of those guilty pleasure teen shows with teenagers having their teenager problems that I don't wanna like but then... I do. xD 

sounds like a good thing for a boring afternoon XD

999papercranes

I'd have to go with "Little Lion Man" by Mumford and Sons. 

The first lines really resonate with me, as an anxious closeted trans guy:

"Weep for yourself, my man,
You'll never be what is in your heart
Weep little lion man,
You're not as brave as you were at the start
Rate yourself and rake yourself,
Take all the courage you have left
Wasted on fixing all the problems that you made in your own head"

The first song i really felt connected to in a gender way was "Coming Back as a Man" by Caro Emerald which ive always figured was just about getting dressed up in drag which id know i was going to do at some point when i first heard the word :L

Spoiler

Pet Shop Boys - New York City Boy - "When youre a boy, some days are tough"

Pharrell Williams - Freedom - this song is basically anyone who feels trapped in anyway.

Stromae - Tous Les Mêmes - this is more a message to myself that i need to remember that i need to accept my femininity - the music video is one of the best imo

LP - Lost On You - not really about gender but i connect it because the artist is very androgynous presenting and i've found inspiring.

The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army - How can you not connect to this????

Sergei Prokofiev - Battle On The Ice - being trans is a battle with such wavering ups and down as this.

There are a lot more i just cant think of them atm.

The-world-is-quiet-here

Your Woman by White Town:

”I could never be the right kind of girl for you/ I could never be your woman...”

”well I guess what they say is true/ I could never spend my life with a man like you/ I could never be your woman.”

Calligraphette_Coe

The Rose.

• 4 weeks later...
The_Reluctant_Dragon

I think “Malfunction” by Steam Powered Giraffe is a great one. Not only does it relate to my gender identity, but, just everything in general, like my fears and weaknesses. The song is basically about how everyone is broken, but, it is what makes us different.

“Reflection” from Mulan, as said above, is a good one too.

"I'll Make a Man Out of You" from Mulan. I should hope I don't have to explain that one.

Also:

"Who You Are" - Lunatica

"I Have a Right" - Sonata Arctica

"(Not) Somebody Else" - Queer Sounds

"Caught in the Middle" - Nemesea

• 1 month later...

This one line from ‘Whatever it Takes’ Imagine Dragons, I relate to. Blergh, my grammar. Anyhoo, the line is this: “ lookin’ at my body, feelin’ miserable” I bet u can guess what that ties to...

Actually I relate to a lot of the song.

Sia - "Bird set free"

Sia - "Unstoppable"

Halsey - "Gasoline"

Benny - "Little Game"

Life was rough - in order from most resent, to not so resent: from top to bottom.

AwkwardAxolotl

Reflection - from Mulan (for obvious reasons)

Also the song "She's So Gone," from the Disney channel movie Lemonade Mouth (I've never seen the movie, but it came up on a friend's Disney Pandora station, and the lyrics stuck with me): "Insecure in her skin, like a puppet, a girl on a string......you can look but you won't see the girl I used to be...here I am, this is me, and I'm stronger than you ever thought I'd be....now it looks like the joke's on you, 'cause the girl that you thought you knew, she's so gone."

• 4 months later...
Artsy Anvil

The Firebird Suite by Igor Stravinsky (specifically the 1919 version). I know it sounds stupid, but, the song really resonates with me and can detail my experiences with gender identity. The song starts really quite and gentle, which can represent childhood and happiness. Then as the song progresses, it gets really loud, fast, and deep, which can represent growing up, adolescence and dysphoria. Then, in the end, it’s back to very quite and slow, which can represent confusion and sadness. But, ultimately, the music picks up again, and is strong and bright, which can represent euphoria, inner conviction and autonomy/independence (maverique).

Janus the Fox

Girls and Boys by Blur, seems to feel very gender neutral or fully inclusive of gender and sexuality in its chorus lyrics hmm....

Girls who are boys
Who like boys to be girls
Who do boys like they're girls
Who do girls like they're boys
Always should be someone you really love
28 minutes ago, Janus DarkFox said:

Girls and Boys by Blur, seems to feel very gender neutral or fully inclusive of gender and sexuality in its chorus lyrics hmm....

Girls who are boys
Who like boys to be girls
Who do boys like they're girls
Who do girls like they're boys
Always should be someone you really love

What even does this mean

Janus the Fox
23 hours ago, Salmiakki said:

What even does this mean

I assume, the meaning is universal, the meaning is highly interpretable, with not much meaning on it's own.

Actually the line in gender field about being greater than a hexadecimal is taken from this song

1 hour ago, Janus DarkFox said:

I assume, the meaning is universal, the meaning is highly interpretable, with not much meaning on it's own.

So it can mean anything I want? Cool.

Space Oddity by David Bowie. Really, anything by him. The lyrics just remind me that in coming out, I throw myself out there and wait for a response. There's the initial rush of omg I finally did it But it can easily go wrong, you have no way of controlling the outcome or reaction. 

Also the album Rome by Danger Mouse and Daniele luppi. The lyrics perfectly describe my experience as a non binary. Plus some cool instrumental songs. You get Dysphoria and mental illness, wanting to change yourself to fit or to please others, bullying for being different, Discrimination and problems after coming out, and more. Of course, not all of the lyrics fit that, but the majority do.

ValiantElisa
On 4/18/2017 at 5:37 PM, kaysir said:

I can just hear them now
"How could you let us down?"
But they don't know what I found
Or see it from this way around

YES! I feel this so much! So many parts of this connect with me : genderfluid and dealing with antagonistic people. 

"I know you don't think it's right/I know that you think it's fake/ Maybe fake's what I like/ Point is I have the right/ Not thinkin in black and white/ I'm thinkin it's worth the fight" 

I love that so much

Archived