Songs you associate with your gender

The-world-is-quiet-here

The-world-is-quiet-here

Carnival Town by Norah Jones: “feeling so small, and looking down here... is it lonely? Lonely? Lonely”

One by U2: “did I disappoint you? Leave a bad taste in your mouth? You act like you never had love, now you want me to go without”, especially when dealing with misgendering family. 

Fairytale by Sara Bareilles. The whole song is about women rejecting their princes, and I don’t identify as a (cis, straight) woman, but I do relate to the message of this song. 

Ditto with Body Love by Mary Lambert; the whole song is about going through hard stuff and knowing girls who have gone through it too, and the last minute or so is really empowering, but it could be really triggering. 

Make It Up by Shura: “nobody ever looks up at her and she says, do you wonder what they’re thinkinng about? Is there something that’s we could have said? Would it have made a difference?.... do you ever make it up? (Still got time to change your mind)”

For me, it feels like people telling me to pick a side or stop being so sensitive, and hearing the “make it up” part on repeat somehow makes it less scary and saddening.

Hard Girls by KT Tunstall is about people of both binary genders trying to conform and change themselves to fit in— “all you soft girls, trying to be hard girls...  you know that nothing changes, just be yourself”

i’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting. I’ve been listening to Ocean Eyes by billie eilish a lot lately, and it’s not necessarily a gender song for me, but the rhythm and sound and repetition is calming for me. 

Celyn: The Lutening
On 10/29/2017 at 11:29 PM, 999papercranes said:

I'd have to go with "Little Lion Man" by Mumford and Sons. 

The first lines really resonate with me, as an anxious closeted trans guy:

"Weep for yourself, my man,
You'll never be what is in your heart
Weep little lion man,
You're not as brave as you were at the start
Rate yourself and rake yourself,
Take all the courage you have left
Wasted on fixing all the problems that you made in your own head"

Damn those are some big feels that's given me.

Mine:

Obviously Reflection from Mulan. When I was little I would pause and rewind it just before Mulan "went back to being a woman" so that I could pretend the movie was really about a transman. I'm so sick of the "girl pretends to be a man for pressing reasons but is really a girl" trope.

Is It Really So Strange by The Smiths. I know it's about being gay, not trans, but:

Oh yes, you can kick me
And you can punch me 
And you can break my face 
But you won't change the way I feel

Daughter by Pearl Jam

Don't call me daughter
Not fair to
The picture kept will remind me

Outshined by Soundgarden - the lyrics could mean anything really but I just relate to them when I'm in a dysphoric and self-loathy mood.

Blackbird by Alter Bridge

Let the wind carry you home
Blackbird fly away
May you never be broken again
Beyond the suffering you've known
I hope you find your way
May you never be broken again

Changes by David Bowie

Archived