Favourite video game franchise?

YamiCake

2 minutes ago, YamiCake said:

Have you played all of that because I gotta say this (don't look if you haven't seen the end of season 1)

Hide contents

Lee's death made me cry and god I miss that character!

Omg yes, it was sooo sad!!! :(

Definitely the worst part of the series!!!! :( (Bad as in saddest - obviously really good since it was so touching)

1 minute ago, Sylvastor said:

Reveal hidden contents

You would love the dialogue of Bulletstorm then. I would post a few lines, but I don't think the TOS would allow me to… And you just end up loving to hate the main antagonist in it, he's the most unsympathetic prick they could come up with – and the protagonist Grayson isn't even much of a… well, he's definitely just an antihero at best. There's too much going on to pay much attention to gore in it I guess. :D

As for Unreal, any kind of splattering can be disabled in the settings, there's a special mode for that, so they thought of it. It's fairly low poly though.

As far as I know, if bards are still regarded as an own class, it's pre-4th edition. They've pretty much been merged with rogues I think? I'm not sure anymore, I only ever bothered with 3/3.5. Well, the basics of the combat system and the like never changed much. :P

Well, the bonus level in Diablo 2 was…

Reveal hidden contents

The secret cow level. Bipedal cows weilding a scythe tried to get you!

The developers generally seemed to have a thing for cows. Cow corpses in the town of spoiler exploded when you clicked on them for example. :lol:

I think Brawl just exaggerated in the content it offered. It made it too bloated. When making/developing something – anything actually – you have to know when to stop adding things to keep things tidy and follow the KISS rule: Keep It Stupid Simple. This is also one of the gripes I end up having with Windows these days, unfortunately. I want simplicity, but I don't want to sacrify control for it, and clutter turns me off of something.

I still have my SNES, N64 and GameCube. I could never part with them. :)

Yes, it can be pretty hilarious. I tend to laugh about such things too (heck I even watch some harem animes with my brother to laugh about how stupid they are :lol:), but sometimes, I just can't help but shake my head and wish it wasn't like that. It's that gameplay… I wish someone would transfer it into… different clothes? :lol:

Except for the original F-Zero (which had 4 individually designed cars and 30 cars in total in races, which was extreme for an SNES game with semi-3D graphics!), you can tackle and wreck other racers in X and GX too. If you wanted to and were good enough to pull it off, you could wreck anyone in every single race and have them end up with a score of 0, while you gain the highscore. :lol:

Wrecking others is especially fun in X because you get to see more of the exploding vehicles/wrecks, which is immensely satisfying! It's much more subtle in GX as they have such a high velocity and explode only once. I also prefer the explosion sound there. The other two have 30 (individual!) vehicles in each race. X also has a Deathrace mode where you constantly drive on a looping with the goal to terminate all other drivers as fast as possible, which is (unfortunately) also missing in GX. There you can unlock vehicle parts however and assemble your very own, custom racers. You can apply custom-designed stickers too. They are zero gravity racers of course, so expect the horizon to turn multiple times. Only the very first one was limited to such an extent that they couldn't pull that off yet, so it's basically races on a 2D plane like the classic Super Mario Kart. Nonetheless hard!

Oh you should have seen some of my idiocy. My driving became infamous with my online friends! Let me quote the rough conversation that would arise:

Me: "I drive."

The other player: "NO!"

Besides this tiny flaw of mine, I'm an excellent shooter. Always aiming for the head, nearly always hitting! I can provide good support and backup. :)

I rarely if ever saw a point in going for respect in mission decisions and usually went with money. I'd gain the respect through my idiotic free roam behaviour by time anyway. :lol:

Oh yes! With the whole "twilightification" of vampires, Castlevania can be really refreshing.

Nothing beats cheesy dialogues, but cheesy, weird/out of the box ideas can be just as amusing!

"Series 9, agricultural robots who lost their purpose with the nuclear war, armed themselves and started a revenge attack on humanity for what they have done to their fields." :D

:)

Spoiler

I do love villains that I can hate. (Odd sentance but I'll role with it. XD)

I think they're their own thing in his book... I THINK. 

Spoiler

holy COW. :P 

By that logic you'd think I wouldn't like 4, but even though 4's roster is RIDICULOUS I still really enjoy it.

Oh I have my gamecube but I never had a SNES or N64... 

I know what you mean, the game would probably be more enjoyable if they didnt look like that all the time but it's still pretty funny. 

Aw hell yeah I can get down with destroying shit on a race track. XD

I remember my friend was stuck somewhere so I stole a semi truck to get to him and save him from some people, I did get to him but...well I drove off a bridge by accident. XD I'm definitely much better at shooting things.

I remember when I was in school and Twilight was all the rage... I read it to satisfy friends of mine and lordy that was just...No. lol

Oh I love out of the box ideas too... They sound weird but then you watch/play it and you're blown away by how amazingly it works. XD

9 minutes ago, Dreamer23 said:

Omg yes, it was sooo sad!!! :(

Definitely the worst part of the series!!!! :( (Bad as in saddest - obviously really good since it was so touching)

They have yet to make me cry again, that was just such a sad moment. Just...Ahhhh no!
dJOAR_s-200x150.gif

Spoiler

Also, Clementine is a bad ass, love that girl.

1 hour ago, YamiCake said:
  Hide contents

I do love villains that I can hate. (Odd sentance but I'll role with it. XD)

I think they're their own thing in his book... I THINK. 

Reveal hidden contents

holy COW. :P 

By that logic you'd think I wouldn't like 4, but even though 4's roster is RIDICULOUS I still really enjoy it.

Oh I have my gamecube but I never had a SNES or N64... 

I know what you mean, the game would probably be more enjoyable if they didnt look like that all the time but it's still pretty funny. 

Aw hell yeah I can get down with destroying shit on a race track. XD

I remember my friend was stuck somewhere so I stole a semi truck to get to him and save him from some people, I did get to him but...well I drove off a bridge by accident. XD I'm definitely much better at shooting things.

I remember when I was in school and Twilight was all the rage... I read it to satisfy friends of mine and lordy that was just...No. lol

Oh I love out of the box ideas too... They sound weird but then you watch/play it and you're blown away by how amazingly it works. XD

Spoiler

It makes it even more fun to oppose and defeat them that way. :D

Oh well, as I said, it's mostly still the same thing. ;)

Spoiler

Precisely! :D

Variety in a roster isn't bad, it's more the amount I struggle with, resulting (more or less) in duplicates. :lol:

It was actually one of the very very few criticisms of Melee for me: Some character gameplays were simply clones with a new skin, think of Captain Falcon and Ganondorf in Melee, or Fox and Falco. It was just a matter of detail then. This was then carried on to the later games. Sure, it is very nice for fans of the franchises, but a bit more changes might have been appropriate too.

Slightly OT:

Spoiler

Make sure to check some second hand stores. Online is always a risky game, but in a store, you can check it in detail and maybe even give it a try (I was allowed to for example). You can also check other consoles and ask if you can exchange the controllers with another set because they've got a better quality.

N64 analogue sticks have a big wear problem. Usually, you will only find controllers where they're in such a bad state that it's unplayable (loosely hanging down). This means you'd have to find control stick modules that replicate the feel of the original (in touch and movement sensitivity) and don't skip movements (I've tried some that did, making movement-based spin attacks in Zelda impossible). This is an incredibly tedious tasks and I've spent quite some time on that by now. Unfortunately, Nintendo stopped production of spare parts for the N64 long ago and I failed to stock up on them, so the original ones are hard to get and expensive. Some people claim a 3D-printer can recreate the part that causes the loose stick and allow you to fix it manually, but I would have to look into that yet. Unfortunately, I can't give any recommendation for lasting, accurate and original-feeling sticks yet. Still searching for that.

With the SNES, I'm not aware of any issues. Unlike with the NES, there don't seem to be troubles with the module slot and controllers are usually nearly always fine. If you get one, you should put an ace sticker on it. From what I know the American ones have a different design and a white-grey-purple colour, so do the controllers. Fitting. :P

Mine is white grey and "colourful" like the Japanese one (the European one shares its design as far as I know).

End of OT.

Yep. Well, you can change and unlock clothes in the game, so you can at least configure the character you play with beforehand to make her (let's be honest, the few men in the game don't have such outfits) look more normal. You can do the same for the AI enemy you want to play against, but if you want a quick match and set it to random, you also get random outfits, so a fair chance to have a stripperiffic experience anyway. :rolleyes:

Oh I forgot to mention, some of the randomly generated F-Zero X tracks from the X cup can be… funny. This is of course not intended and rare! :lol:

But pay attention to what's in front of you or look out for odd angles on the radar! The racetrack surfaces also have varied shapes, so it's certainly fun. A truly underrated game.

Ah yes, the silly things. While I was on the run with a SUV, I managed to get myself catapulted in between a cliff and a guardrail (at the parking lot with the donut advertisement). Quite a fail. Other times include getting on a bike because of an incoming brute and barely a second later crashing into the closest building. Another time, I managed to get my car up on one of the stores on Arapice Island. My coop partner could not understand how it happened and it didn't help I couldn't explain it either!

Once I warm up, I can be pretty good at escaping with vehicles, but I always need a moment to adapt somehow and that's when all my fails happen. And my driving style is destructive, I tend to take shortcuts in… strange ways, which often provokes the police.

:mellow: You have my deepest sympathy. I only heard what it was about and didn't want to touch it.

One day, I was daring and the first movie was on TV – and I watched it, because hey, maybe it's not like what everyone says, right? Better have an open mind.

Nope, they were right. Granted, I had a good laugh about the sunshine glitter and it became a running gag between me and my brother after I've shown him that scene. Besides that, it was just awful. I don't blame others for liking it, but it's definitely not my cup of tea and I didn't really like the acting in the movie either to be honest.

The sentence I put in "" is a description of a faction in KKnD2, so yes, there are games that do such stuff! It's even my favourite faction in that game, especially because of the unit names. :lol:

Yes, yet another spoiler! :o

5 minutes ago, Sylvastor said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It makes it even more fun to oppose and defeat them that way. :D

Oh well, as I said, it's mostly still the same thing. ;)

Reveal hidden contents

Precisely! :D

Variety in a roster isn't bad, it's more the amount I struggle with, resulting (more or less) in duplicates. :lol:

It was actually one of the very very few criticisms of Melee for me: Some character gameplays were simply clones with a new skin, think of Captain Falcon and Ganondorf in Melee, or Fox and Falco. It was just a matter of detail then. This was then carried on to the later games. Sure, it is very nice for fans of the franchises, but a bit more changes might have been appropriate too.

Slightly OT:

Reveal hidden contents

Make sure to check some second hand stores. Online is always a risky game, but in a store, you can check it in detail and maybe even give it a try (I was allowed to for example). You can also check other consoles and ask if you can exchange the controllers with another set because they've got a better quality.

N64 analogue sticks have a big wear problem. Usually, you will only find controllers where they're in such a bad state that it's unplayable (loosely hanging down). This means you'd have to find control stick modules that replicate the feel of the original (in touch and movement sensitivity) and don't skip movements (I've tried some that did, making movement-based spin attacks in Zelda impossible). This is an incredibly tedious tasks and I've spent quite some time on that by now. Unfortunately, Nintendo stopped production of spare parts for the N64 long ago and I failed to stock up on them, so the original ones are hard to get and expensive. Some people claim a 3D-printer can recreate the part that causes the loose stick and allow you to fix it manually, but I would have to look into that yet. Unfortunately, I can't give any recommendation for lasting, accurate and original-feeling sticks yet. Still searching for that.

With the SNES, I'm not aware of any issues. Unlike with the NES, there don't seem to be troubles with the module slot and controllers are usually nearly always fine. If you get one, you should put an ace sticker on it. From what I know the American ones have a different design and a white-grey-purple colour, so do the controllers. Fitting. :P

Mine is white grey and "colourful" like the Japanese one (the European one shares its design as far as I know).

End of OT.

Yep. Well, you can change and unlock clothes in the game, so you can at least configure the character you play with beforehand to make her (let's be honest, the few men in the game don't have such outfits) look more normal. You can do the same for the AI enemy you want to play against, but if you want a quick match and set it to random, you also get random outfits, so a fair chance to have a stripperiffic experience anyway. :rolleyes:

Oh I forgot to mention, some of the randomly generated F-Zero X tracks from the X cup can be… funny. This is of course not intended and rare! :lol:

But pay attention to what's in front of you or look out for odd angles on the radar! The racetrack surfaces also have varied shapes, so it's certainly fun. A truly underrated game.

Ah yes, the silly things. While I was on the run with a SUV, I managed to get myself catapulted in between a cliff and a guardrail (at the parking lot with the donut advertisement). Quite a fail. Other times include getting on a bike because of an incoming brute and barely a second later crashing into the closest building. Another time, I managed to get my car up on one of the stores on Arapice Island. My coop partner could understand how it happened and it didn't help I couldn't explain it either!

Once I warm up, I can be pretty good at escaping with vehicles, but I always need a moment to adapt somehow and that's when all my fails happen. And my driving style is destructive, I tend to take shortcuts in… strange ways, which often provokes the police.

:mellow: You have my deepest sympathy. I only heard what it was about and didn't want to touch it.

One day, I was daring and the first movie was on TV – and I watched it, because hey, maybe it's not like what everyone says, right? Better have an open mind.

Nope, they were right. Granted, I had a good laugh about the sunshine glitter and it became a running gag between me and my brother after I've shown him that scene. Besides that, it was just awful. I don't blame others for liking it, but it's definitely not my cup of tea and I didn't really like the acting in the movie either to be honest.

The sentence I put in "" is a description of a faction in KKnD2, so yes, there are games that do such stuff! It's even my favourite faction in that game, especially because of the unit names. :lol:

Yes, yet another spoiler! :o

Spoiler

Yeah I get what you mean. Especially the fire emblem characters, they're all very much the same in melee and otherwise.

We actually have some really good second hand stores nearby that I go to often, I rarely buy things online unless I've got no other option. 
It doesn't surprise me too much that N64 controllers have a wear problem, they are one of the oddest controllers ever made. I have trouble playing with them honestly, my hands are tiny. XD

I didn't know the SNES had white grey and purple designs, that's pretty neat!

Ah so F-Zero has easter egg type things? excellent. EXCELLENT! lol

I am the worst get away driver, we always end up stuck somewhere or dying. XD

I've only ever seen the first movie... Originally my mom got me that and the book because she thought I'd like it. A few years ago I was cleaning off a bookshelf and saw that copy of the book, and I had a friend over helping me out. I died laughing because I threw it pretty much as soon as I saw it and then she picked it up and yelled "BE GONE DEMON!" and threw it in the trash. That was a funny experience. lol 
But yeah I tried to read/watch the series just because I had friends who would not shut up about it... Never again. XD

24 minutes ago, YamiCake said:
  Hide contents

Yeah I get what you mean. Especially the fire emblem characters, they're all very much the same in melee and otherwise.

We actually have some really good second hand stores nearby that I go to often, I rarely buy things online unless I've got no other option. 
It doesn't surprise me too much that N64 controllers have a wear problem, they are one of the oddest controllers ever made. I have trouble playing with them honestly, my hands are tiny. XD

I didn't know the SNES had white grey and purple designs, that's pretty neat!

Ah so F-Zero has easter egg type things? excellent. EXCELLENT! lol

I am the worst get away driver, we always end up stuck somewhere or dying. XD

I've only ever seen the first movie... Originally my mom got me that and the book because she thought I'd like it. A few years ago I was cleaning off a bookshelf and saw that copy of the book, and I had a friend over helping me out. I died laughing because I threw it pretty much as soon as I saw it and then she picked it up and yelled "BE GONE DEMON!" and threw it in the trash. That was a funny experience. lol 
But yeah I tried to read/watch the series just because I had friends who would not shut up about it... Never again. XD

Spoiler

In some cases it was understandable though, like in the case of Young Link and Link. But even then I would have appreciate a bit more attack differences than the tiny ones it got. The spin attack of Young Link didn't smash them away but pull them in and the "item" attacks were a bit weaker, but that's it.

Oh, I'm totally the same! I don't like online-purchases at all. I prefer to go to stores.

The North American SNES (for NTSC TVs) has a different design and colour. European (PAL) and Japanese (should be NTSC too) share their looks. It's just like the Japanese NES (Famicom) was different from the international release. As far as I know the main point of the visual difference was a simply done incompatibility of module shapes, making Japanese imports impossible to stick into the console. I'm not sure if there were also missing pins or bonus pins to enforce region lock in cartridges though. :o

There isn't really a choice in design as it's region bound and games have region locks. Besides the usual issue of the power supply unit's compatibility (with the electric circuit) outside of the area they were built for. You would want to buy what was sold on your continent to ensure it works (best), which should be the North American SNES, unless I'm somehow terribly mistaken and Canada was an exception. It should look like this. But better make sure to check on what they're selling in local stores.

If you want to call mal-generated racetracks easter eggs… pretty much, yes. It's a rare condition when the engine makes the hardest possible curve combined with an up or down hill where things like that can happen. Sometimes it can be bugs too. :lol:

But considering how fail-proof the track generation is besides that, it's actually quite impressive (the fact alone that they managed to do that is). They put a lot of work into that game. As far as I know, they had to do a lot of optimizing to allow 30 vehicles at 60fps for a best experience, including simplifying racetracks, rendering methods, models, compressing textures, reducing the colour palette and removing some decorative elements from racetracks. Some may say it looks empty, but it paid off. They did an excellent job in its development.

:lol:

I think I just realized where I got my aggressive driving style from… Damn you, Destruction Derby!

It's useful during escapes, but it also killed us a lot of times too…

Ever car-surfed while having your coop partner escape from the police? It's hilarious. :lol:

Oh God, that's genius! :lol:

I hope you also had a cross and wooden stake ready, just in case.

Spoiler

This is true, some of them work!

It's the same thing where if I want a game for a collection I must have the physical copy. I can own it on steam as well but I just like having a physical copy if possible. lol

I'll have to check and see what our regions SNES was, I'd assume NA though.

Damn, they put a lot of work into that series by the sounds of it, good for them!

I don't think I have car surfed before, but that sounds fantastic honestly. XD

Well, we had a lighter? And a garbage truck that was just outside. XD

9 minutes ago, YamiCake said:
  Hide contents

This is true, some of them work!

It's the same thing where if I want a game for a collection I must have the physical copy. I can own it on steam as well but I just like having a physical copy if possible. lol

I'll have to check and see what our regions SNES was, I'd assume NA though.

Damn, they put a lot of work into that series by the sounds of it, good for them!

I don't think I have car surfed before, but that sounds fantastic honestly. XD

Well, we had a lighter? And a garbage truck that was just outside. XD

Spoiler

Physical copy no matter what? Wow, this is starting to be creepy. Stop being me. :o Or… maybe not. It's too much fun to talk. :P

I also need to have the packaging of a game. Not easy to get in a good state because the SNES and N64 games have cardboard boxes. :lol:

You need to stand on a driving car for a bit, then a hint will pop up, something like "Hit space to car surf" for example. Have fun balancing! You can also make a handstand. :D

I think that's good enough. You sound like you were well armed to counter the evil forces of vampirism! A chain or whip might have done well too (bad Castlevania reference).

1 minute ago, Sylvastor said:
  Hide contents

Physical copy no matter what? Wow, this is starting to be creepy. Stop being me. :o Or… maybe not. It's too much fun to talk. :P

I also need to have the packaging of a game. Not easy to get in a good state because the SNES and N64 gmes have cardboard boxes. :lol:

You need to stand on a driving car for a bit, then a hint will pop up "Space to car surf" for example. Have fun balancing! You can also make a handstand. :D

I think that's good enough. You sound like you were well armed to counter the evil forces of vampirism! A chain or whip might have done well too (bad Castlevania reference).

Spoiler

I like collecting shit even though I don't have a lot of room, I also like to keep packaging but haven't been able to for most things... Our house is too small to keep them. Though I have managed to keep my collectors edition box for FFXIV, and when Sonic Mania comes out I'm keeping that flippin box! (I pre ordered the limited edition, excited for that... It's got a snazzy statue.)

Oh that's awesome I'll have to attempt that! XD

Pfft, I think the garbage compactor was enough for mr. sparkles. That wasn't a vampire that was a pansy. :P 

The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and I guess I could also say Assassin's Creed, I have all the games, but most of that series is on my backlog.

slothdetective

Kingdom Hearts is by far my most favorite one. I also enjoy Assassin's Creed, although I've only finished the first five of the main games (though I did pretty poorly with AC3, rushed it so I missed quite a lot of the story...) I still have Liberation, Black Flag and Rogue sitting on my shelf unfinished. (Edit: I will also play Unity and Syndicate one day, whenever I get a chance to buy a PS4...)

Recently I've also taken a liking to the Dragon Age series, so much so that it's now becoming one of my favorites too.

Just now, slothdetective said:

Kingdom Hearts is by far my most favorite one. I also enjoy Assassin's Creed, although I've only finished the first five of the main games (though I did pretty poorly with AC3, rushed it so I missed quite a lot of the story...) I still have Liberation, Black Flag and Rogue sitting on my shelf unfinished.

Recently I've also taken a liking to the Dragon Age series, so much so that it's now becoming one of my favorites too.

Which Kingdom Hearts game is your favourite thus far? Mine would be 2 personally, had a lot of fun with that one.

Rocket League! (I'm counting it as a franchise because they had the best named game ever before this)

Spoiler

Also Assassin Creed. Such a good series <3

Crash Bandicoot and Spyro will also always have a place in my heart, even though they got derailed a fair amount. (No the Spyro in Skylanders doesn't count as canon :mad:) And I'm SO EXCITED for the Crash remakes!

Just now, Ricchan said:

Rocket League! (I'm counting it as a franchise because they had the best named game ever before this)

Reveal hidden contents

Also Assassin Creed. Such a good series <3

Crash Bandicoot and Spyro will also always have a place in my heart, even though they got derailed a fair amount. (No the Spyro in Skylanders doesn't count as canon :mad:) And I'm SO EXCITED for the Crash remakes!

I'm super excited for the crash remakes! 

Spoiler

Also I really hate how Spyro looks in skylanders and I have no interest in that series... The character designs are so ugly. D:

slothdetective
3 minutes ago, YamiCake said:

Which Kingdom Hearts game is your favourite thus far? Mine would be 2 personally, had a lot of fun with that one.

Storywise, 358/2 Days. Otherwise, I'd probably also say KH2. I love the Organization XIII boss battles (particularly Xemnas) :D

Final Fantasy VI - X

My favourite game franchise is probably one of the most influential franchises of all times. Without it, there would be no Halo, Half Life, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Bioshock, Overwatch and many more popular games, the gaming landscape, and possibly technology would be so different and years behind. It actually had a whole genre named after it for a while. Companies actually had to make policies and even software to stop this game from destroying them, it was that popular. Not only is it that important, it was, and still is, a lot of fun, and still has an extremely active mod community 23 years in the making, bringing more opportunities to have fun with it. It's a great simple to play, life time to master game. It doesn't have a yearly title, in fact 2 of their games had 12 years between releases, but the most recent title that came out last year, was a welcome treat for many gamers after fears that it may not live up to it's legacy (it did in the end). And we have to thank Aliens, D&D and Tom Cruise (sort of) for it existing in the first place

Yes I'm talking about:

Logo_doom.png

edit: Also, name me 1 other game that has been ported so it can be played on a calculator, printer, atm, piano and even a car!

1 minute ago, Scott1989 said:

My favourite game franchise is probably one of the most influential franchises of all times. Without it, there would be no Halo, Half Life, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Bioshock, Overwatch and many more popular games, the gaming landscape, and possibly technology would be so different and years behind. It actually had a whole genre named after it for a while. Companies actually had to make policies and even software to stop this game from destroying them, it was that popular. Not only is it that important, it was, and still is, a lot of fun, and still has an extremely active mod community 23 years in the making, bringing more opportunities to have fun with it. It's a great simple to play, life time to master game. It doesn't have a yearly title, in fact 2 of their games had 12 years between releases, but the most recent title that came out last year, was a welcome treat for many gamers after fears that it may not live up to it's legacy (it did in the end). And we have to thank Aliens, D&D and Tom Cruise (sort of) for it existing in the first place

Yes I'm talking about:

Logo_doom.png

I don't think I've had a chance to play any of the doom games, they do look stupidly fun though! Especially the new one from what I've seen.

35 minutes ago, YamiCake said:

I don't think I've had a chance to play any of the doom games, they do look stupidly fun though! Especially the new one from what I've seen.

Yeah, the new one is loads of fun and when I first played it was full of "What? Oh Hell Yeah" moments. Still prefer the classics over it, but in a world where remakes\reboots are often 1000x worse than the original, the new one (as I said before) is one of the rare exceptions.

Good news is that unlike many older games, it's stupidly easy to play the originals on modern PCs. The official re-releases of them are ok, but if you buy them and download a source port for free(too many to name, but all stupid easy to install), and copy a couple of files from what you bought to the source port, they will run smoother, easier and with some better graphics (unless you use the Chocolate Doom source port which is deliberately designed to be a modern way to play Doom with no enhancements, as it was back in the DOS days without emulation, cool option for faith a old old school experience but not necessary). Source ports also adds few other neat features and makes it multiplayer available too easily (again unless you use the Chocolate Doom source port).

Steam seems the cheapest place to buy classic Doom but you have 2 worth while choices in doing so. Buy the Classic Doom bundle which gives you Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom and Master Levels for Doom 2. Alternatively, you can buy Doom 3 BFG edition which comes with Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 and Doom 3. Regardless you'll have to buy the New one on its own.

Spoiler contains opinions to help decide what version to buy if you do plan on it:

Spoiler

Doom 3 BFG edition is more expensive (by £5 in the UK) and not every classic Doom game (no Final Doom or Master Levels), and the classic content doesn't run too well compared to the original (though who cares about that since you can use source ports to take care of that) but it has an updated version of Doom 3 (if you want to check it out) and it's Doom 2 has an expansion that was originally made for the Xbox 360 version, which is pretty good. Classic Doom bundle doesn't have Doom 3 nor the Doom 2 expansion mentioned, but it does have Final Doom (2 x 30 level campaigns for classic Doom) and Master Levels which is a stupidly large collection of fan made classic doom levels. You could get Doom 3 BFG edition and buy Final Doom on it's own on Steam, but not the master levels by the looks of it. I never bought the classic games via Steam so can't comment on how it runs normally (but again, source ports makes this a moot point as they'll be better)

2 minutes ago, Scott1989 said:

Yeah, the new one is loads of fun and when I first played it was full of "What? Oh Hell Yeah" moments. Still prefer the classics. But in a world where remakes\reboots are often 1000x worse than the original, the new one (as I said before) is one of the rare exceptions.

Good news is that unlike many older games, it's stupidly easy to play the originals on modern PCs. The official re-releases of them are ok, but if you buy them and download a source port for free(too many to name, but all stupid easy to install), and copy a couple of files from what you bought to the source port, they will run smoother, easier and with some better graphics (unless you use the Chocolate Doom source port which is deliberately designed to be a modern way to play Doom with no enhancements, as it was back in the DOS days without emulation, cool option for faith a old old school experience but not necessary). Source ports also adds few other neat features and makes it multiplayer available too easily (again unless you use the Chocolate Doom source port).

Steam seems the cheapest place to buy classic Doom but you have 2 worth while choices in doing so. Buy the Classic Doom bundle which gives you Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom and Master Levels for Doom 2. Alternatively, you can buy Doom 3 BFG edition which comes with Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 and Doom 3. Regardless you'll have to buy the New one on its own.

Spoiler contains opinions to help decide what version to buy if you do plan on it:

Reveal hidden contents

Doom 3 BFG edition is more expensive (by £5 in the UK) and not every classic Doom game (no Final Doom or Master Levels), and the classic content doesn't run too well compared to the original (though who cares about that since you can use source ports to take care of that) but it has an updated version of Doom 3 (if you want to check it out) and it's Doom 2 has an expansion that was originally made for the Xbox 360 version, which is pretty good. Classic Doom bundle doesn't have Doom 3 nor the Doom 2 expansion mentioned, but it does have Final Doom (2 x 30 level campaigns for classic Doom) and Master Levels which is a stupidly large collection of fan made classic doom levels. You could get Doom 3 BFG edition and buy Final Doom on it's own on Steam, but not the master levels by the looks of it. I never bought the classic games via Steam so can't comment on how it runs normally (but again, source ports makes this a moot point as they'll be better)

I'll have to put them on my ever growing list of things to play! Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into them. :)

Chieftain-Drake

The Spyro and Jak and Daxter franchises will always be special to me! (sadly I only ever played parts of a few games because we didn't have them all and the ones we did have belonged to my brother so... yeah...)

Just now, Chieftain-Drake said:

The Spyro and Jak and Daxter franchises will always be special to me! (sadly I only ever played parts of a few games because we didn't have them all and the ones we did have belonged to my brother so... yeah...)

I know that feeling, I didn't play tons of classic spyro as a kid because I never had the system for it. I'd play it and crash bandicoot at friends houses. Still had a ton of fun with them though! 

Not a franchise per se, but I thoroughly enjoy all Obsidian and Bioware RPGs, which encompasses several franchises. Pillars of Eternity and Dragon Age in particular. 

Inspired by Pokemon Go, I recently dug out my old Game Boy Pocket with Pokemon Blue and played through the whole game without using cheats (a thirty hour time commitment). It was as awesome as ever!

8 hours ago, Pramana said:

Inspired by Pokemon Go, I recently dug out my old Game Boy Pocket with Pokemon Blue and played through the whole game without using cheats (a thirty hour time commitment). It was as awesome as ever!

I played through red again recently too, though I had to play on my 3DS. Still a super fun game, I think I binge played it for a few days till I beat it xD

23 hours ago, Pramana said:

I still have my clear pink GBA and my silver GBA SP, the latter of which I occasionally use for Pokemon Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal. It's actually been used so much that the ink on the bar code label has been completely rubbed off. Needless to say, Pokemon is my favourite video game franchise by a mile. Pearl is probably my favourite version, followed by Crystal, then Yellow.

I haven't played beyond the Black and White generation, though.

15 minutes ago, Nebulous said:

I still have my clear pink GBA and my silver GBA SP, the latter of which I occasionally use for Pokemon Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal. It's actually been used so much that the ink on the bar code label has been completely rubbed off. Needless to say, Pokemon is my favourite video game franchise by a mile.

I haven't played beyond the Black and White generation, though.

I possess my old trading cards from the 1999-2000 era when I was in grade six. I still flip through them every once in a while. But I never got into the later generations. I find the Pokemon are less special now that there're too many to remember.

16 hours ago, Pramana said:

I possess my old trading cards from the 1999-2000 era when I was in grade six. I still flip through them every once in a while. But I never got into the later generations. I find the Pokemon are less special now that there're too many to remember.

I remember collecting those back in the day, too. I would bring them to school and have card battles with my best friend during recess (we'd always be late for the bell as a result!). I lost interest in them after generation three, and the cards are probably kicking around at my parent's houses collecting dust now, but yeah... Finding a hyper-rare card in a booster pack was the best feeling ever. I agree that the number of pokemon has become a little unwieldy and remembering them all doesn't seem as important now; I only know a select few names from the more recent generations. Just the ones whose designs I find interesting. Like Silvally and Noivern.

4 hours ago, Nebulous said:

Finding a hyper-rare card in a booster pack was the best feeling ever.

It was all about the holographic cards!

I'm thinking I should get into something new Pokemon related. I played Pokemon Go steadily from launch until getting tired of it in December. I was particularly disappointed after spending so much time tracking Charmander nests before I could evolve Charizard, only to find both that Charizard isn't that good in this version and that Niantic decided to essentially give away the starter Pokemon a month later as part of its Christmas/New Year's event. Like many people, I think Niantic's long term strategy with that game could have been better. Still, while people complain, I probably got over one hundred hours of free playing time from it, making it a great deal when compared to buying a video game.

Archived