Favourite video game franchise?

YamiCake

JustShizuka

Kingdom Hearts all the way! Although I'm not a huge fan of Disney, I really love the original worlds and characters in the series, plus the story is amazing.
Also the concept of visiting different worlds is very interesting. :)

Mychemicalqpr

Fire Emblem. This is one of the few things where I can choose a single favorite thing. 

Still, I can't help but mention my second favorites: Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, and Star Fox. 

Yes, I like Nintendo. I'm still a kid inside. 

Just now, JustShizuka said:

Kingdom Hearts all the way! Although I'm not a huge fan of Disney, I really love the original worlds and characters in the series, plus the story is amazing.
Also the concept of visiting different worlds is very interesting. :)

Now if only 3 would grace us with it's presence... Maybe within the next 10 years....
giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, twilightstarr said:

Fire Emblem. This is one of the few things where I can choose a single favorite thing. 

Still, I can't help but mention my second favorites: Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, and Star Fox. 

Yes, I like Nintendo. I'm still a kid inside. 

High five for being kids inside!
High-Five-GIF-9.gif
How is Fire Emblem? I really don't know much about the series.
Also one of these days I'll play Star Fox. One damn day. XD

Prufrock, but like, worse
15 minutes ago, YamiCake said:

Never heard of Creeper world, what is it?

It's a strange sort of physics based strategy-ish thing. Basically, water is now evil and trying to kill everyone. It's difficult to describe beyond that without listing every mechanic.

2 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

It's a strange sort of physics based strategy-ish thing. Basically, water is now evil and trying to kill everyone. It's difficult to describe beyond that without listing every mechanic.

Ah, interesting. From what I saw of it, I don't think it would really be my thing, but all the power to ya! (Also in my opinion there's no such thing as a "real" gamer. I never saw a point to belittling anyone who doesn't play a lot of games, they're for fun!)

If I had to choose just one, I think I'd have to go with either Outlast or Borderlands. I'm a huge horror fan, and Outlast was just one of the best experiences I'd have in years when it came to that genre. And Borderlands is just amazing in my opinion. I'm not that great at FPS games, but I just love the characters oh so much, I can't get enough of them!

2 minutes ago, TypingDino said:

If I had to choose just one, I think I'd have to go with either Outlast or Borderlands. I'm a huge horror fan, and Outlast was just one of the best experiences I'd have in years when it came to that genre. And Borderlands is just amazing in my opinion. I'm not that great at FPS games, but I just love the characters oh so much, I can't get enough of them!

I'm playing through the borderlands franchise with a friend of mine, god they're amazing. XD
And well... this is what outlast does to me:
fTVo9F.gif
a7e.gif

1 minute ago, YamiCake said:

I'm playing through the borderlands franchise with a friend of mine, god they're amazing. XD
And well... this is what outlast does to me:
fTVo9F.gif
a7e.gif

Nice, they crack me up everytime I play one of them xD Much like those gifs xD 

3 minutes ago, TypingDino said:

Nice, they crack me up everytime I play one of them xD Much like those gifs xD 

They are amazingly written games! XD

And what can I say? They're 100% accurate. Lmao

Mychemicalqpr
50 minutes ago, YamiCake said:

High five for being kids inside!
High-Five-GIF-9.gif
How is Fire Emblem? I really don't know much about the series.
Also one of these days I'll play Star Fox. One damn day. XD

To summarize my love for Fire Emblem, I love the characterization and relationships (not JUST the romantic ones), the plots are engaging, and the gameplay is addictive too and makes me feel smart. Pretty much everything I could want in a game. That is all just my opinion though. 

Forest Spirit
49 minutes ago, YamiCake said:

Love Zelda, I do need to play more of them though. Wind waker is one of the ones I have yet to play.
I don't know much about Drakengard/Nier, I've heard the names before but I don't know anything else. lol
I do like Bioshock, though because I am a scardy cat it's hard for me to play. I own them all but I have yet to finish them all. I got them originally because I liked the look of Infinite, and then I tried playing Bioshock 1, got to the first sighting of a littler sister and Noped the hell out. xD

I sadly haven't played all Zelda games myself, but now with the Nintendo Eshop it's possible ^yey^ I would just need more freetime :D Wind Waker was my first one and it has such a nostalgic factor for me... Now with the HD version you also don't have to sail for hours anynmore to get from one place to the other, very nice! And you can take selfies:

2ef2054ce0b0a4965674f1afd2e44d27.jpg

Love that feature :D

Drakengard/Nier is a bit of an "underdog", the gameplay is rather meh and the framerate is sometimes really bad (since 100 things happen at the same time and their budget was simply small...) but the story, characters, world is amazing! The new one, Nier Automata was developed with Platinum Games and now has awesome graphics and gameplay too! Hyped for when it comes out for PC soon ^-^

I'm a scaredy cat too :D I remember one time in Bioshock 1 where I got a bit too close to a Big Daddy and Little Sister and the Big Daddy got into "alarm mode" (he didn't attack me or anything) and I was just panicking around... I managed to finish Bioshock 1 and 2 but in Infinite - with everything basically flying around and going up and down constantly - I just had to give up half way because my motion sickness got so bad :( maybe I'll give it a try again! (I finished it through videos though)

Forest Spirit
1 hour ago, YamiCake said:

Now if only 3 would grace us with it's presence... Maybe within the next 10 years....
giphy.gif

Hey they managed to finish FFXV and The last guardian after... well way too many years, so there's still hope for lost games in this world!

5 minutes ago, YamiCake said:

They are amazingly written games! XD

And what can I say? They're 100% accurate. Lmao

Absolutely! xD 
Lol. I'm more of a person who just sits with no reaction and predicts what's gonna happen, but that game made me jump a few times and made me so stressed xD

Real Estate RICO

Mortal Kombat to the point where I actively defend Deadly Alliance and Deception

The AKI wrestling/fighting collection - WCW vs. The World up to Def Jam: Fight For New York

Uncharted

Where do I start?

I don't think I can limit myself just to one, simply because there's a lot of great games and because each genre has at least one favourite for me, so I'll just pick up to max. three for each genre.

It'll be a long list where I comment on each, so feel free to skip it. A tl;dr version is below the spoiler. :P

Spoiler

Let's start with action adventures. There's The Legend of Zelda of course, with my favourite ones being Link's Awakening (the old GameBoy version, not the DX one due to the in my opinion slightly nicer perfect ending, even if the photography side-quest and colour bonus dungeon were missing), Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time – in this order. Close after those sharing the 4th place are the A Link Between Worlds and A Link to the Past games for me. :)

As for the oldschool(-style) shooters…

The Unreal franchise got me into a set of hobbies (like messing around in game engines) and I've enjoyed the original from 1998 a lot (do not confuse with the purely multiplayer-centered Tournament titles). It was amazing for a shooter of its time and the atmosphere and scale of environments was great – and especially the music was fantastic! Not to mention it had a translator (essentially a simple version of the scanner you can use in Metroid Prime, which almost felt like a spiritual sequel to me :lol:).

I'll have to list Bulletstorm too. Not many people could appreciate it (probably because they only saw the violent score system?), but the creativity was very refreshing, the story more critical than people realized and it was a good outlet for anger when playing the Echo mode and doing highscores. I loved its environments too, glad it is getting a rerelease.

Let's not forget shooters with RPG elements.

Borderlands 2, a hell lot of fun, pretty creative and refreshing characters and plot and I respect them for coming up with the modular weapon generation. Very clever approach and results in a lot of guns! I didn't play the first because it was cut here, so I didn't bother with the whole import and whatnot hassle. It's definitely best played with others though.

Neverwinter Nights for the pure RPGs. While it felt limited for obvious reasons (being a D&D computer RPG results in limited possibilities of acting), the toolset even allowed for easy creation of custom modules to play with friends, which was just great and balanced this out! Still, a climb feature would have been nice, but probably break maps in the end. Diablo 2 was a fun hack and slash RPG though and I had a lot of fun in school. I hated Act2's cramped environments though.

For the brawlers, Super Smash Bros. (Melee) is fun, but it needs friends to play with. Bots aren't satisfying for all too long… Then there's Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition. People get grossed out by that franchise, but it has a good fighting system. Dead or Alive 5: Last Round for PC on the other hand is fantastic for fast-paced gameplay and using environments as part of the fighting. But the multiplayer is broken for me, so I'm stuck with bots … and unfortunately it has to be… you probably know how… It definitely would have been better if it wasn't like that. That's why I find MK KE still to be more enjoyable because I can play against online friends at least. <_<

As for racing games, probably the F-Zero franchise (it's… fast and hard! Especially GX). I've spent a lot of time with this one and I wish Nintendo would finally make a good sequel. I might have to add the Mario Kart games, but again, in my opinion it's most fun with friends on a couch (which I don't have :P) and… well, this is tough, I can't decide between the Destruction Derby games and FlatOut 2 (or its "improved version" Ultimate Carnage). I hope they finish Next Car Game: Wreckfest at some point, because it looks like a perfect spiritual sequel to the Destruction Derby games. :D

RTS games… Clearly KKnD 2: Krossfire. The balance was great, the multiplayer fun, the bots challenging enough to be fun but not unfair enough to ruin it for me. Besides that the music was fitting, its setting was somehow appealing to me. Star Craft 1 (including Brood Wars) was also a lot of fun and kept me occupied with the map and mission editor, but KKnD2 had nice comedy elements, a take on a post-WW3 setting with humour and irony that I found to be very enjoyable. This didn't just reflect in the story but also in the units. :)

The GTA-esque games… Definitely the oldschool GTAs (1 and 2) and the Saints Row franchise for being essentially what the old GTAs were before they somehow lost that charme for me. Never had a chance to play Saints Row 1 though. Still pondering if I actually like GTA V that much or not… it felt like it brought some of the old fun and humour back.

As for the crafting games, definitely Terraria. Unmatched for me.

Oh and I have no idea where to put Faster Than Light, but it's great.

As for the Metroidvanias, obviously the Metroid franchise and Castlevania. In the latter, I especially liked Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance. It was portable, had a great environment setup, catchy themes, good difficulty (damn you, Death!) and got me through a hard time too, allowing me to play it outside.

From the big pool of jump and runs, I would definitely pick Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. It was funny, its artstyle beautiful, the environments beautifully varied… It was one of the games that made my childhood great. Nintendo really has a hand for making lovely games, which they've proven later on over and over (like with Yoshi's Story, or the Paper Mario games).

Oh right, since this is a weird mix, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

As for sports games, Tony Hawk's Underground 2 was funny (especially the story mode). Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 was fun as well and had its own charme.

Okay, I better stop at this. If you came this far, Congratulations! I didn't expect it.

I'm just a sucker for video games, I can't help it that my list is so long. Forgive me for that. :)

@Luftschlosseule, if you want to give a Zelda game a try that's different from the rest (as in not just the same story as always), Link's Awakening might be for you. Many seemed to have not played it because it's a GameBoy Zelda, but it's great. ;)

tl;dr version:

The Legend of Zelda franchise (classic, non-DX Link's Awakening being the favourite)

Unreal franchise (Unreal Gold especially)

Bulletstorm

Metroid franchise (especially Prime)

Borderlands 2

Neverwinter Nights

Diablo 2

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round

F-Zero franchise

Destruction Derby 1 & 2

FlatOut 2/Ultimate Carnage

KKnD 2: Krossfire

Star Craft 1/Brood Wars

GTA 1 & 2 (maybe V too?)

Saints Row franchise (with exception of 1, as I never had the chance to play it)

Terraria

Faster Than Light

Castlevania (especially Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance)

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Yoshi's Story

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Tony Hawk's Underground 2 and Pro Skater 2

Don't force me to pick one… :mellow:

Spoiler

:lol:

binary suns

Fire Emblem. no question.

10 hours ago, Quasar.w said:

I sadly haven't played all Zelda games myself, but now with the Nintendo Eshop it's possible ^yey^ I would just need more freetime :D Wind Waker was my first one and it has such a nostalgic factor for me... Now with the HD version you also don't have to sail for hours anynmore to get from one place to the other, very nice! And you can take selfies:

2ef2054ce0b0a4965674f1afd2e44d27.jpg

Love that feature :D

Drakengard/Nier is a bit of an "underdog", the gameplay is rather meh and the framerate is sometimes really bad (since 100 things happen at the same time and their budget was simply small...) but the story, characters, world is amazing! The new one, Nier Automata was developed with Platinum Games and now has awesome graphics and gameplay too! Hyped for when it comes out for PC soon ^-^

I'm a scaredy cat too :D I remember one time in Bioshock 1 where I got a bit too close to a Big Daddy and Little Sister and the Big Daddy got into "alarm mode" (he didn't attack me or anything) and I was just panicking around... I managed to finish Bioshock 1 and 2 but in Infinite - with everything basically flying around and going up and down constantly - I just had to give up half way because my motion sickness got so bad :( maybe I'll give it a try again! (I finished it through videos though)

Those selfies are amazing. XD

I do love a good story and world so I may try that out some time, though it's sequels definitely got my interest, I love platinum games! 

Motion sickness would be murder for first person, that really sucks!

10 hours ago, Quasar.w said:

Hey they managed to finish FFXV and The last guardian after... well way too many years, so there's still hope for lost games in this world!

Oh yes, I know it's coming but I'll be sitting here praying each year that that is the year it comes out! xD

10 hours ago, TypingDino said:

Absolutely! xD 
Lol. I'm more of a person who just sits with no reaction and predicts what's gonna happen, but that game made me jump a few times and made me so stressed xD

I WISH I was that kind of person. I can be with a super predictable game, but most f the time, nope. lol

10 hours ago, cornerthrees said:

Mortal Kombat to the point where I actively defend Deadly Alliance and Deception

The AKI wrestling/fighting collection - WCW vs. The World up to Def Jam: Fight For New York

Uncharted

Mortal combat is fun, don't know anything about Deadly Alliance or Deception though. 

9 hours ago, Sylvastor said:

Where do I start?

I don't think I can limit myself just to one, simply because there's a lot of great games and because each genre has at least one favourite for me, so I'll just pick up to max. three for each genre.

It'll be a long list where I comment on each, so feel free to skip it. A tl;dr version is below the spoiler. :P

Reveal hidden contents

Let's start with action adventures. There's The Legend of Zelda of course, with my favourite ones being Link's Awakening (the old GameBoy version, not the DX one due to the in my opinion slightly nicer perfect ending, even if the photography side-quest and colour bonus dungeon were missing), Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time – in this order. Close after those sharing the 4th place are the A Link Between Worlds and A Link to the Past games for me. :)

As for the oldschool(-style) shooters…

The Unreal franchise got me into a set of hobbies (like messing around in game engines) and I've enjoyed the original from 1998 a lot (do not confuse with the purely multiplayer-centered Tournament titles). It was amazing for a shooter of its time and the atmosphere and scale of environments was great – and especially the music was fantastic! Not to mention it had a translator (essentially a simple version of the scanner you can use in Metroid Prime, which almost felt like a spiritual sequel to me :lol:).

I'll have to list Bulletstorm too. Not many people could appreciate it (probably because they only saw the violent score system?), but the creativity was very refreshing, the story more critical than people realized and it was a good outlet for anger when playing the Echo mode and doing highscores. I loved its environments too, glad it is getting a rerelease.

Let's not forget shooters with RPG elements.

Borderlands 2, a hell lot of fun, pretty creative and refreshing characters and plot and I respect them for coming up with the modular weapon generation. Very clever approach and results in a lot of guns! I didn't play the first because it was cut here, so I didn't bother with the whole import and whatnot hassle. It's definitely best played with others though.

Neverwinter Nights for the pure RPGs. While it felt limited for obvious reasons (being a D&D computer RPG results in limited possibilities of acting), the toolset even allowed for easy creation of custom modules to play with friends, which was just great and balanced this out! Still, a climb feature would have been nice, but probably break maps in the end. Diablo 2 was a fun hack and slash RPG though and I had a lot of fun in school. I hated Act2's cramped environments though.

For the brawlers, Super Smash Bros. (Melee) is fun, but it needs friends to play with. Bots aren't satisfying for all too long… Then there's Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition. People get grossed out by that franchise, but it has a good fighting system. Dead or Alive 5: Last Round for PC on the other hand is fantastic for fast-paced gameplay and using environments as part of the fighting. But the multiplayer is broken for me, so I'm stuck with bots … and unfortunately it has to be… you probably know how… It definitely would have been better if it wasn't like that. That's why I find MK KE still to be more enjoyable because I can play against online friends at least. <_<

As for racing games, probably the F-Zero franchise (it's… fast and hard! Especially GX). I've spent a lot of time with this one and I wish Nintendo would finally make a good sequel. I might have to add the Mario Kart games, but again, in my opinion it's most fun with friends on a couch (which I don't have :P) and… well, this is tough, I can't decide between the Destruction Derby games and FlatOut 2 (or its "improved version" Ultimate Carnage). I hope they finish Next Car Game: Wreckfest at some point, because it looks like a perfect spiritual sequel to the Destruction Derby games. :D

RTS games… Clearly KKnD 2: Krossfire. The balance was great, the multiplayer fun, the bots challenging enough to be fun but not unfair enough to ruin it for me. Besides that the music was fitting, its setting was somehow appealing to me. Star Craft 1 (including Brood Wars) was also a lot of fun and kept me occupied with the map and mission editor, but KKnD2 had nice comedy elements, a take on a post-WW3 setting with humour and irony that I found to be very enjoyable. This didn't just reflect in the story but also in the units. :)

The GTA-esque games… Definitely the oldschool GTAs (1 and 2) and the Saints Row franchise for being essentially what the old GTAs were before they somehow lost that charme for me. Never had a chance to play Saints Row 1 though. Still pondering if I actually like GTA V that much or not… it felt like it brought some of the old fun and humour back.

As for the crafting games, definitely Terraria. Unmatched for me.

Oh and I have no idea where to put Faster Than Light, but it's great.

As for the Metroidvanias, obviously the Metroid franchise and Castlevania. In the latter, I especially liked Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance. It was portable, had a great environment setup, catchy themes, good difficulty (damn you, Death!) and got me through a hard time too, allowing me to play it outside.

From the big pool of jump and runs, I would definitely pick Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. It was funny, its artstyle beautiful, the environments beautifully varied… It was one of the games that made my childhood great. Nintendo really has a hand for making lovely games, which they've proven later on over and over (like with Yoshi's Story, or the Paper Mario games).

Oh right, since this is a weird mix, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

As for sports games, Tony Hawk's Underground 2 was funny (especially the story mode). Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 was fun as well and had its own charme.

Okay, I better stop at this. If you came this far, Congratulations! I didn't expect it.

I'm just a sucker for video games, I can't help it that my list is so long. Forgive me for that. :)

@Luftschlosseule, if you want to give a Zelda game a try that's different from the rest (as in not just the same story as always), Link's Awakening might be for you. Many seemed to have not played it because it's a GameBoy Zelda, but it's great. ;)

tl;dr version:

The Legend of Zelda franchise (classic, non-DX Link's Awakening being the favourite)

Unreal franchise (Unreal Gold especially)

Bulletstorm

Metroid franchise (especially Prime)

Borderlands 2

Neverwinter Nights

Diablo 2

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round

F-Zero franchise

Destruction Derby 1 & 2

FlatOut 2/Ultimate Carnage

KKnD 2: Krossfire

Star Craft 1/Brood Wars

GTA 1 & 2 (maybe V too?)

Saints Row franchise (with exception of 1, as I never had the chance to play it)

Terraria

Faster Than Light

Castlevania (especially Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance)

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Yoshi's Story

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Tony Hawk's Underground 2 and Pro Skater 2

Don't force me to pick one… :mellow:

Reveal hidden contents

:lol:

Spoiler

Have yet to play any of those except for Ocarina and Link Between Worlds. (Still haven't finished Link Between Worlds though.) I may have played Majora when I was little? I can't remember honestly but I really want to play it. XD

Don't really know either of these, I think I may have heard of Bulletstorm once but that's all. lol

Playing through this right now! Loving Borderlands as a series so far, truly marvelous.

I don't think I've heard of Neverwinter Nights before, but it sounds neat, and ave yet to play any Diablo though I know lots of people who love it. 

Oh yes, Super Smash Bros Melee is amazing, I'm also fond of 4 but I think Melee will always be my favourite. Mortal Kombat is a lot of fun, I don't know about that exact game but I've played a couple of them before with friends. Super fun!
I know I've heard of Dead or Alive, never played it.
Online components to games like those certainly make them more enjoyable at times, yeah. Then you don't need someone right beside you and you can have the same experience regardless.

Other then Mario Kart F-Zero is the only franchise I know of here. I haven't ever played it either but of course I know Captain Falcon... Falcon PUNCH!

Never been the biggest RTS fan, at the very least I have yet to play one that I like anyway. Granted, I haven't played many.

GTA is pretty fun, haven't played a lot of them though. Do you have Saints Row 3? Been playing that recently, that's some stupid fun. XD

Terrarria is great, I like minecraft too but I think I like Terrarria more.

These are both series I have not played and both ones I want to try. They both look like a grand old time.

I love Super Mario World and I've recently been playing Yoshi's Island on my Wii U.  Fantastic games! Nintendo does know their stuff most of the time.

And I'm not the biggest sports game person either but I have played at least one Tony Hawk, can't remember which though. :P 

You are forgiven this long list, there was never any limit! :cake: 

You answer in a spoiler I reply as such! lol

Hide contents

Have yet to play any of those except for Ocarina and Link Between Worlds. (Still haven't finished Link Between Worlds though.) I may have played Majora when I was little? I can't remember honestly but I really want to play it. XD

Don't really know either of these, I think I may have heard of Bulletstorm once but that's all. lol

Playing through this right now! Loving Borderlands as a series so far, truly marvelous.

I don't think I've heard of Neverwinter Nights before, but it sounds neat, and ave yet to play any Diablo though I know lots of people who love it. 

Oh yes, Super Smash Bros Melee is amazing, I'm also fond of 4 but I think Melee will always be my favourite. Mortal Kombat is a lot of fun, I don't know about that exact game but I've played a couple of them before with friends. Super fun!
I know I've heard of Dead or Alive, never played it.
Online components to games like those certainly make them more enjoyable at times, yeah. Then you don't need someone right beside you and you can have the same experience regardless.

Other then Mario Kart F-Zero is the only franchise I know of here. I haven't ever played it either but of course I know Captain Falcon... Falcon PUNCH!

Never been the biggest RTS fan, at the very least I have yet to play one that I like anyway. Granted, I haven't played many.

GTA is pretty fun, haven't played a lot of them though. Do you have Saints Row 3? Been playing that recently, that's some stupid fun. XD

Terrarria is great, I like minecraft too but I think I like Terrarria more.

These are both series I have not played and both ones I want to try. They both look lie a grand old time.

I love Super Mario World and I've recently been playing Yoshi's Island on my Wii U.  Fantastic games! Nintendo does know their stuff most of the time.

And I'm not the biggest sports game person either but I have played at least one Tony Hawk, can't remember which though. :P 

You are forgiven this long list, there was never any limit! :cake: 

You answer in a spoiler I reply as such! lol

Nasty. :P

Spoiler

They're only worth a go if you're into shooters and don't mind to see blood (or don't mind fast movement/oldschool shooters for that matter).

Unreal (Gold) is old enough to need a community-made patch (227) to run properly on modern hardware. It's similar to Metroid Prime, but minus Samus, plus more blood, for PC and faster (and edgier due to the age). Overall, maybe a "colourful Quake" fits it more. It might have a linear level setup, but lots of exploration with twisted level setups, a translator/reader system for information and text messages scattered in levels, an extremely varied and individual setting (a sci fi weapon roster mixed into a fantasy world, with steampunk, high tech and gritty cyberpunk elements). Oh and occasional jumpscares. The fun is especially evident in multiplayer/coop and with the countless campaigns and mods people make. It also comes with a complex level editor (the same the developers used). The patch is in a way made with acknowledgement of the original developers though, so it's safe.

Bulletstorm was actually better than people thought it to be. It was taken apart and ignored upon release. Small spoiler:

Spoiler

In its campaign the player actually gets confronted with his/her own doing, making the character face the "needless slaughtering" you're engaging in through the entire game, criticizing that aspect of it. Essentially, it's self-critical and went back to the weapon-creativity of older shooters. People failed to realized it though, however it certainly is a sadistic game.

It's also a game that has no real tutorial. The most you get is a "push button x to use the leash", or "c to crouch" at the very beginning. Enemies get introduced in a great way, there's an interesting variety of skillshots too and despite the "holiday resort planet" setting, there's lots of locations which don't make it look repetitive. The "Bulletstorm Last Call" trailer convinced me the moment I saw it actually, if you want to get an idea of it. It was a parody of a Halo trailer and summarized the game's humour and gameplay perfectly without giving away anything about the story. :lol: (Also, mind you it's a bloody game, I bet you can check the gameplay in some other trailers. It's getting a rerelease soon called Last Clip Edition. :))

If you like D&D 3rd Edition (I think 3.5?), then you'll have a lot of fun with NWN and pretty much everyone can do at least simple modules with the toolset that comes with it. Unfortunately, playing coop requires some workarounds, but it still works. There's also a Dungeon Master mode, that allows a server host to act as a DM while others play on it, modifying events on the go, placing enemies, taking control of NPCs and enemies, and so on! A very powerful game, especially for its age.

Diablo is probably the hack and slash RPG. I don't think there's much else to say except for "kill the devil". :lol: It has a nice dark-fantasy feel to it. I thought of 2 as the best. 1 feels "cramped" compared to it, while 2 picks up the plot of 1 nicely and even summarizes it in its cutscenes and dialogues. Some enemies had a spell bound to them and I'll never understand why fire enchantment did what it did to them when you defeated the enemy. But every single time it was hilarious! Even though it was so pointless. 2 also has one of the best and most legendary bonus levels in gaming history I guess. :lol:

Melee is definitely my favourite of all Smash Bros. games. I own Brawl too though, but something feels different. I think it might be too cluttered, the roster too big, too many items and so on. I got into the series with the N64 game, but I never owned it myself. I really need to get my hands on it because I enjoyed it a lot.

Dead or Alive is (unfortunately) unnecessarily sexualized. But the gameplay and inclusion of environments make it really intense. It's also fast and while I dislike the sexualized aspect about it, I keep coming back because of the gameplay. I doubt anybody believes me when I say so. Damn you, sexualized world, I'm speaking the truth! :lol:

F-Zero is great if you want a raw, hilariously fast sci fi racing experience. I can recommend any of the games, really. There were three console titles, F-Zero for SNES, F-Zero X for N64 (which had probably the most touch-intense gameplay and lots of focus on wrecking enemies) and F-Zero GX for GameCube (which was just extremely hard and fast, not as easy to wreck rivals either because of the speed) and some handheld titles. It's been forever since Nintendo made one... X is recommendable if you want an endless amount of racetracks because the X-cup has randomly generated tracks! It's also easier than GX once you get the hang of taking curves. I couldn't find any trick to make it easier in GX yet though. It's still just hard, even though I managed to beat all cups on Master difficulty. I just can't manage to repeat this wonder with the Diamond Cup a second time.

Destruction Derby 1 and especially 2 were much fun, but it's very dated, so if you want to aim for "the same experience" (including damage model on HUD but minus the excellent announcer!), take a look at Next Car Game: Wreckfest. It's essentially racing with no rules. Wreck others' cars if it helps, disqualify rivals, be the first. Both contain a derby mode too, where all cars start in an arena and the last car that's still able to drive wins. FlatOut 2/Ultimate Carnage was essentially a "silly, over the top" Destruction Derby, where you even had minigames with the goal of catapulting your driver out of your car as far as possible, making him/her hit targets, playing bowling with him/her and things like that.

I'm not much of an RTS fan either, but KKnD really hit a soft spot for me. It's mostly fun against other players though, I think like any RTS games. The AI feels nicely balanced at least. Star Craft comes close after but it's a serious game.

Of course I do! Saints Row is like the spiritual sequel to GTA1 and 2. Saints Row 3 takes it even farther than that! The character customisation is fantastic and the whole humour of it nicely over the top. I think Volition did a lot right when developing it. I just miss the interactive environment from Saints Row 2 when playing it. You could remove street signs or hydrants as improvised weapons and punch gang members with it. :lol: The sword fighting was also nicer there because you could block at least and use a katana while on a bike. Too bad the PC port was so horribly executed, Saints Row 3 is really a whole lot better in this regard. Are you more the vengeful player or profit oriented when making mission decisions? I'm certainly more profit oriented. Coop is really much fun. Have you ever tried it with others? I think there was one mission with a tendency for a hiccup that could ruin coop play for it, but besides that, it was flawless!

Yep, Terraria is excellent. And I like its difficulty too. I'm recalling the long wall-discussion we've had a few weeks ago, so I better don't start it again. :lol:

If you want a Metroid shooter, the Metroid Prime trilogy was excellent. Both franchises are essentially made around exploration, backtracking of paths and fighting and dodging endless amounts of enemies. One is more melee-focused (Castlevania) and set in a fantasy setting with Dracula playing a central role in their plots and the other is sci fi with the titular metroids being one of the main antagonists of the series.

Yes, they definitely do! :D

I'm definitely not a sports-game person either. That I played the two Tony Hawk games was more or less a lucky incident, because I ended up enjoying them for being so silly.

Yes, I think I definitely have a soft spot for games that can include silly humour or self irony, or are just creative in their ideas overall.

Oh God, my reply went overboard. This must be tiring to read. You can definitely tell I have a passion for games. Feel free to ignore if it's too much. :mellow:

12 minutes ago, Sylvastor said:

Nasty. :P

Reveal hidden contents

They're only worth a go if you're into shooters and don't mind to see blood (or don't mind fast movement/oldschool shooters for that matter).

Unreal (Gold) is old enough to need a community-made patch (227) to run properly on modern hardware. It's similar to Metroid Prime, but minus Samus, plus more blood, for PC and faster (and edgier due to the age). Overall, maybe a "colourful Quake" fits it more. It might have a linear level setup, but lots of exploration with twisted level setups, a translator/reader system for information and text messages scattered in levels, an extremely varied and individual setting (a sci fi weapon roster mixed into a fantasy world, with steampunk, high tech and gritty cyberpunk elements). Oh and occasional jumpscares. The fun is especially evident in multiplayer/coop and with the countless campaigns and mods people make. It also comes with a complex level editor (the same the developers used). The patch is in a way made with acknowledgement of the original developers though, so it's safe.

Bulletstorm was actually better than people thought it to be. It was taken apart and ignored upon release. Small spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

In its campaign the player actually gets confronted with his/her own doing, making the character face the "needless slaughtering" you're engaging in through the entire game, criticizing that aspect of it. Essentially, it's self-critical and went back to the weapon-creativity of older shooters. People failed to realized it though, however it certainly is a sadistic game.

It's also a game that has no real tutorial. The most you get is a "push button x to use the leash", or "c to crouch" at the very beginning. Enemies get introduced in a great way, there's an interesting variety of skillshots too and despite the "holiday resort planet" setting, there's lots of locations which don't make it look repetitive. The "Bulletstorm Last Call" trailer convinced me the moment I saw it actually, if you want to get an idea of it. It was a parody of a Halo trailer and summarized the game's humour and gameplay perfectly without giving away anything about the story. :lol: (Also, mind you it's a bloody game, I bet you can check the gameplay in some other trailers. It's getting a rerelease soon called Last Clip Edition. :))

If you like D&D 3rd Edition (I think 3.5?), then you'll have a lot of fun with NWN and pretty much everyone can do at least simple modules with the toolset that comes with it. Unfortunately, playing coop requires some workarounds, but it still works. There's also a Dungeon Master mode, that allows a server host to act as a DM while others play on it, modifying events on the go, placing enemies, taking control of NPCs and enemies, and so on! A very powerful game, especially for its age.

Diablo is probably the hack and slash RPG. I don't think there's much else to say except for "kill the devil". :lol: It has a nice dark-fantasy feel to it. I thought of 2 as the best. 1 feels "cramped" compared to it, while 2 picks up the plot of 1 nicely and even summarizes it in its cutscenes and dialogues. Some enemies had a spell bound to them and I'll never understand why fire enchantment did what it did to them when you defeated the enemy. But every single time it was hilarious! Even though it was so pointless. 2 also has one of the best and most legendary bonus levels in gaming history I guess. :lol:

Melee is definitely my favourite of all Smash Bros. games. I own Brawl too though, but something feels different. I think it might be too cluttered, the roster too big, too many items and so on. I got into the series with the N64 game, but I never owned it myself. I really need to get my hands on it because I enjoyed it a lot.

Dead or Alive is (unfortunately) unnecessarily sexualized. But the gameplay and inclusion of environments make it really intense. It's also fast and while I dislike the sexualized aspect about it, I keep coming back because of the gameplay. I doubt nobody believes me when I say so. Damn you, sexualized world, I'm speaking the truth! :lol:

F-Zero is great if you want a raw, hilariously fast sci fi racing experience. I can recommend any of the games, really. There were three console titles, F-Zero for SNES, F-Zero X for N64 (which had probably the most touch-intense gameplay and lots of focus on wrecking enemies) and F-Zero GX for GameCube (which was just extremely hard and fast, not as easy to wreck rivals either because of the speed) and some handheld titles. It's been forever since Nintendo made one... X is recommendable if you want an endless amount of racetracks because the X-cup has randomly generated tracks! It's also easier than GX once you get the hang of taking curves. I couldn't find any trick to make it easier in GX yet though. It's still just hard, even though I managed to beat all cups on Master difficulty. I just can't manage to repeat this wonder with the Diamond Cup a second time.

Destruction Derby 1 and especially 2 were much fun, but it's very dated, so if you want to aim for "the same experience" (including damage model on HUD but minus the excellent announcer!), take a look at Next Car Game: Wreckfest. It's essentially racing with no rules. Wreck others' cars if it helps, disqualify rivals, be the first. Both contain a derby mode too, where all cars start in an arena and the last car that's still able to drive wins. FlatOut 2/Ultimate Carnage was essentially a "silly, over the top" Destruction Derby, where you even had minigames with the goal of catapulting your driver out of your car as far as possible, making him/her hit targets, playing bowling with him/her and things like that.

I'm not much of an RTS fan either, but KKnD really hit a soft spot for me. It's mostly fun against other players though, I think like any RTS games. The AI feels nicely balanced at least. Star Craft comes close after but it's a serious game.

Of course I do! Saints Row is like the spiritual sequel to GTA1 and 2. Saints Row 3 Takes it even farther than that! The character customisation is fantastic and the whole humour of it nicely over the top. I think Volition did a lot right when developing it. I just miss the interactive environment from Saints Row 2 when playing it. You could remove street signs or hydrants as improvised weapons and punch gang members with it. :lol: The sword fighting was also nicer there because you could block at least and use a katana while on a bike. Too bad the PC port was so horribly executed, Saints Row 3 is really a whole lot better in this regard. Are you more the vengeful player or profit oriented when making mission decisions? I'm certainly more profit oriented. Coop is really much fun. Have you ever tried it with others? I think there was one mission with a tendency for a hiccup that could ruin coop play for it, but besides that, it was flawless!

Yep, Terraria is excellent. And I like its difficulty too. I'm recalling the long wall-discussion we've had a few weeks ago, so I better don't start it again. :lol:

If you want a Metroid shooter, the Metroid Prime trilogy was excellent. Both franchises are essentially made around exploration, backtracking of paths and fighting and dodging endless amounts of enemies. One is more melee-focused (Castlevania) and set in a fantasy setting with Dracula playing a central role in their plots and the other is sci fi with the titular metroids being one of the main antagonists of the series.

Yes, they definitely do! :D

I'm definitely not a sports-game person either. That I played the two Tony Hawk games was more or less a lucky incident, because I ended up enjoying them for being so silly.

Yes, I think I definitely have a soft spot for games that can include silly humour or self irony, or are just creative in their ideas overall.

Oh God, my reply went overboard. This must be tiring to read. You can definitely tell I have a passion for games. Feel free to ignore if it's too much. :mellow:

Spoiler

Blood itself I'm fine with, gore can be iffy... Depends what happens I guess. Other then the jumpscares it sounds like a fun time! (Seriously I'm terrible wit horror. XD)
That trailer, oh my word... that looked pretty fun and hilarious to boot. XD

I'm not sure which version it is that I play of D&D as my friend is the one who owns the books and such. Sounds fun regardless though!

Is...Is Diablo the game where you can randomly come across a land of unicorns? I swear a friend of mine was telling me about that. lol

Brawl was kinda lack luster in my eyes. It added Sonic which as a Sonic fan was cool but also made...well... not much sense. XD I got into it with N64 as well, I really want to buy an N64 and a couple other older consoles to play some old games I played as a kid/missed out on.
Ah Dead or Alive is that one everyone was throwing a fuss over wasn't it? The one with all the nearly naked women? Honestly to me it's kind of hilarious. Weird, and unnecessary but hilarious.

I'd probably get along well with F-Zero given my background in the "gotta go fast" Sonic games, always wanted to try them out so I'll have to get around to it at some point!
Wait, those others are racing games where you have to destroy other cars? Fucking amazing I'll win for sure. XD

I haven't played too much of Saints Row 3 yet as me and a friend have been trying it out when we're taking breaks from borderlands, but we usually go for profit! Never let me drive though... I killed us a lot. XD

I like the sound of both of those, Dracula is especially amazing. Vampires who aren't sissies for the win! lol

Same, I will always love humor in games, it's probably why I still like the Sonic franchise for one. I laugh at a lot of things but cheesy dialog is one of my favourite things... It's why I like 80s cartoons so much despite being born in the 90s :P 

Nah you're all good! I love talking about games, It's always been a passion. :)

Soooo many good gaming series, I don't even know where to begin! :D
Can't call a single favorite one :P

Of the big ones: Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Civilization, Warhammer 40k, Deus Ex, The Walking Dead
Somewhat popular: Might & Magic, Heroes of Might & Magic, Blood Bowl, Knights of Pen and Paper
Casual Indy: 12 Labours of Hercules, Hero of the Kingdom

5 minutes ago, Dreamer23 said:

So many good gaming series, I don't even know where to begin! :D
Can't call a single favorite one :P

Of the big ones: Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Civilization, Warhammer 40k, Deus Ex, The Walking Dead
Somewhat popular: Might & Magic, Heroes of Might & Magic, Blood Bowl, Knights of Pen and Paper
Casual Indy: 12 Labours of Hercules, Hero of the Kingdom

The only one from your list I've played is Mass Effect. (damn good series.) That said I'd like to play some of the Elder Scrolls and Fall Out 4 (and if you're talking about the walking dead from TellTale, I've seen all of that, damn good story.)

Don't think I've heard of the others though.

Just now, YamiCake said:

The only one from your list I've played is Mass Effect. (damn good series.) That said I'd like to play some of the Elder Scrolls and Fall Out 4 (and if you're talking about the walking dead from TellTale, I've seen all of that, damn good story.)

Don't think I've heard of the others though.

Definitely talking Telltale when it comes to the Walking Dead, yeah! :)

Just now, Dreamer23 said:

Definitely talking Telltale when it comes to the Walking Dead, yeah! :)

Have you played all of that because I gotta say this (don't look if you haven't seen the end of season 1)

Spoiler

Lee's death made me cry and god I miss that character!

Hide contents

Blood itself I'm fine with, gore can be iffy... Depends what happens I guess. Other then the jumpscares it sounds like a fun time! (Seriously I'm terrible wit horror. XD)
That trailer, oh my word... that looked pretty fun and hilarious to boot. XD

I'm not sure which version it is that I play of D&D as my friend is the one who owns the books and such. Sounds fun regardless though!

Is...Is Diablo the game where you can randomly come across a land of unicorns? I swear a friend of mine was telling me about that. lol

Brawl was kinda lack luster in my eyes. It added Sonic which as a Sonic fan was cool but also made...well... not much sense. XD I got into it with N64 as well, I really want to buy an N64 and a couple other older consoles to play some old games I played as a kid/missed out on.
Ah Dead or Alive is that one everyone was throwing a fuss over wasn't it? The one with all the nearly naked women? Honestly to me it's kind of hilarious. Weird, and unnecessary but hilarious.

I'd probably get along well with F-Zero given my background in the "gotta go fast" Sonic games, always wanted to try them out so I'll have to get around to it at some point!
Wait, those others are racing games where you have to destroy other cars? Fucking amazing I'll win for sure. XD

I haven't played too much of Saints Row 3 yet as me and a friend have been trying it out when we're taking breaks from borderlands, but we usually go for profit! Never let me drive though... I killed us a lot. XD

I like the sound of both of those, Dracula is especially amazing. Vampires who aren't sissies for the win! lol

Same, I will always love humor in games, it's probably why I still like the Sonic franchise for one. I laugh at a lot of things but cheesy dialog is one of my favourite things... It's why I like 80s cartoons so much despite being born in the 90s :P 

Nah you're all good! I love talking about games, It's always been a passion. :)

Spoiler

You would love the dialogue of Bulletstorm then. I would post a few lines, but I don't think the TOS would allow me to… And you just end up loving to hate the main antagonist in it, he's the most unsympathetic prick they could come up with – and the protagonist Grayson isn't even much of a… well, he's definitely just an antihero at best. There's too much going on to pay much attention to gore in it I guess. :D

As for Unreal, any kind of splattering can be disabled in the settings, there's a special mode for that, so they thought of it. It's fairly low poly though.

As far as I know, if bards are still regarded as an own class, it's pre-4th edition. They've pretty much been merged with rogues I think? I'm not sure anymore, I only ever bothered with 3/3.5. Well, the basics of the combat system and the like never changed much. :P

Well, the bonus level in Diablo 2 was…

Spoiler

The secret cow level. Bipedal cows weilding a scythe tried to get you!

The developers generally seemed to have a thing for cows. Cow corpses in the town of spoiler exploded when you clicked on them for example. :lol:

I think Brawl just exaggerated in the content it offered. It made it too bloated. When making/developing something – anything actually – you have to know when to stop adding things to keep things tidy and follow the KISS rule: Keep It Stupid Simple. This is also one of the gripes I end up having with Windows these days, unfortunately. I want simplicity, but I don't want to sacrify control for it, and clutter turns me off of something.

I still have my SNES, N64 and GameCube. I could never part with them. :)

Yes, it can be pretty hilarious. I tend to laugh about such things too (heck I even watch some harem animes with my brother to laugh about how stupid they are :lol:), but sometimes, I just can't help but shake my head and wish it wasn't like that. It's that gameplay… I wish someone would transfer it into… different clothes? :lol:

Except for the original F-Zero (which had 4 individually designed cars and 30 cars in total in races, which was extreme for an SNES game with semi-3D graphics!), you can tackle and wreck other racers in X and GX too. If you wanted to and were good enough to pull it off, you could wreck anyone in every single race and have them end up with a score of 0, while you gain the highscore. :lol:

Wrecking others is especially fun in X because you get to see more of the exploding vehicles/wrecks, which is immensely satisfying! It's much more subtle in GX as they have such a high velocity and explode only once. I also prefer the explosion sound there. The other two have 30 (individual!) vehicles in each race. X also has a Deathrace mode where you constantly drive on a looping with the goal to terminate all other drivers as fast as possible, which is (unfortunately) also missing in GX. There you can unlock vehicle parts however and assemble your very own, custom racers. You can apply custom-designed stickers too. They are zero gravity racers of course, so expect the horizon to turn multiple times. Only the very first one was limited to such an extent that they couldn't pull that off yet, so it's basically races on a 2D plane like the classic Super Mario Kart. Nonetheless hard!

Oh you should have seen some of my idiocy. My driving became infamous with my online friends! Let me quote the rough conversation that would arise:

Me: "I drive."

The other player: "NO!"

Besides this tiny flaw of mine, I'm an excellent shooter. Always aiming for the head, nearly always hitting! I can provide good support and backup. :)

I rarely if ever saw a point in going for respect in mission decisions and usually went with money. I'd gain the respect through my idiotic free roam behaviour by time anyway. :lol:

Oh yes! With the whole "twilightification" of vampires, Castlevania can be really refreshing.

Nothing beats cheesy dialogues, but cheesy, weird/out of the box ideas can be just as amusing!

"Series 9, agricultural robots who lost their purpose with the nuclear war, armed themselves and started a revenge attack on humanity for what they have done to their fields." :D

:)

Archived