What are your religious beliefs?

Dreamer23

What are your religious beliefs?  

322 members have voted

1. 1. Which Religion do you most identify with?

• Christianity
    • Islam
    • Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist
    • Hinduism
    • Chinese traditional religion
    • Buddhism
    • Ethnic religions
    • African traditional religions
    • Sikhism
    • Spiritism
    • Judaism
    • Other (Please specify!)

This poll is closed to new votes

Pagan/science. My high being is female. 

I think we're all playing a video game on a simulation and when we die we'll just wake up to our real life, pop another quarter in, and play again. Or leave because mom made macaroni and cheese and she thinks this Sim game is rotting out brains. And it's bullshit because I had this idea before that neckbeard "Rick and Morty" shit.

Eh, it's as plausible as anything else. 

I'm a Secular Humanist/Atheist. I use the former when asked my religion irl, though, since i live in a conservative state.  

11 minutes ago, Polygon said:

And it's bullshit because I had this idea before that neckbeard "Rick and Morty" shit.

Rick and Morty is lame anyway.

Just now, Feys&Florets said:

Rick and Morty is lame anyway.

Eh, I've never seen it, I'm only mad that whenever I bring up the possibility (mostly as a joke) people think it's just some rehashed R+M joke and that shit was mine first. 

I find myself learning more and more to Taoism and concepts of balance with one's spirit and the universe, which is more sincere than a belief system of an omnipotent overlord.

There's a couple of people on the sidewalk holding up 'What does the Bible teach' and inside I have to cringe a little. It's their belief and they have every right to practice/preach it, but it just feels so...empty when I look at them. It's like they're actions are out of fear and ignorance instead of genuine trust and love.

I should go and speak to them one day, and hopefully be shown I was mistaken in my assumptions. I just don't want to get roped into a conversion talk. I saw a fight break out between one of them and a bystander once.

Other.

(It's alot more complicated to specify then I thought... What am I?)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an atheist, but I do believe in a kind of animism-- as in everything is alive in one way or another. I also believe in reincarnation. After all, we're all made of the same stuff deep down

I put 'Other', because I wasn't sure how to vote.

I am a pagan of the generic variety, just following my own path. I am also an Egyptian reconstructionist, meaning that I practice a modern reconstruction of ancient Egyptian beliefs. 

Thebookishkeep

I’m Christian but not follow any group not catholic or Protestant.  But I identify more with Protestants 

Semiterrestrial Scientist

I’m Christian but I more consider myself a little bit of every religion because they all have good. I have to identify as a Protestant Christian though cause my mom will sit me down and talk to me about the bad influences in life if I don’t 

• 2 weeks later...
Diamond Ace of Hearts

Love the "Atheism is not a religious belief" answers from early on in this thread. The belief that no god exists and/or that religion/religiosity is wrong/bad/incorrect/illogical/harmful/whatever else, is obviously a belief about religion.

I can't remember what I chose in the poll, since I responded when this thread first started, but am only now getting 'round to posting.

My answer could have been any number of the available options, depending on my mood that day.

I guess I would call myself agnostic. I've wavered all over the spectrum of religion for as long as I can remember though, from Sikhism to Christianity to Atheism, from monotheism to panentheism to some kind of animism. I'm pro-religion in theory but probably anti-religion in practice. Certainly pro-spirituality though.

I think we could all do a lot worse than to follow the teachings of the fictional "prophet" Stan Berg, who could probably best be described as humanist and had three rules:

1) Apprehend

2) Be humble in the face of the Universe

3) Do good

I would probably be a mix of Buddhism/Druidism/Agnostic. Very nature based spiritualities. I do believe in reincarnation in a sense, but just that the living energy within us is what is reincarnated. Life is energy and energy can't be created or destroyed, but I do believe my consciousness dies when my body dies.

On 2/23/2018 at 3:58 AM, Diamond Ace of Hearts said:

Love the "Atheism is not a religious belief" answers from early on in this thread. The belief that no god exists and/or that religion/religiosity is wrong/bad/incorrect/illogical/harmful/whatever else, is obviously a belief about religion.

I can't remember what I chose in the poll, since I responded when this thread first started, but am only now getting 'round to posting.

My answer could have been any number of the available options, depending on my mood that day.

I guess I would call myself agnostic. I've wavered all over the spectrum of religion for as long as I can remember though, from Sikhism to Christianity to Atheism, from monotheism to panentheism to some kind of animism. I'm pro-religion in theory but probably anti-religion in practice. Certainly pro-spirituality though.

I think we could all do a lot worse than to follow the teachings of the fictional "prophet" Stan Berg, who could probably best be described as humanist and had three rules:

1) Apprehend

2) Be humble in the face of the Universe

3) Do good

Just on the statement "Atheism is not a religious belief", I agree that it's not a 'religious belief' but it is a belief. Atheist believes there is nothing after we die. We can't prove that there is nothing after we die just as we can't prove there is an after life with a God, or with lots of gods and goddesses. Which is also why I subscribe more to being Agnostic.

I only mention this because I've had people say there is no such thing as a true Atheist (mostly my father, so you can probably understand my heated response to the issue)

Agnostic Taoist, raised non-denominational Christian

I don't think I officially belong to any category so I picked other. I've my own notion of things that I'll try to explain. It's based on observations in scientific fields, and my reads about various religions. I don't buy into the notion of a god or gods watching over your every move, but I don't strictly deny the absence of a "god." I think there is one, but it doesn't fall under classical notions of what we define as a god.

The human body is a collection of smaller functioning systems to form a unified whole. Isolate one of these cells under a microscope, and does it know it's being watched? Does it know of the scale it exists on, that it actually connects and helps form a vastly larger system than itself? Likely not, but this is the key point. Everything we've discovered in our universe is mirrored on every scale. Systems forming systems. On the atomic scale, we're literally just a cloudy soup of particles among other clouds of particles all vibrating at different frequencies and composed of a select number of elements that allow us to retain a cohesive form. We aren't as separate from everything as our eyes perceive.

When I look at how atoms and various particles function, when broken down you only find another layer, quarks, which in turn determine the properties of atoms, I wonder what connections the electrical signals in our brains have with everything around us. Although we can't touch a memory, a memory in a brain is all just electrical signals firing in the right order through synapses. On the atomic scale and smaller, maybe we actually could touch a memory.

This "god" I refer to, I think, is more or less like a residual underlying background at the heart of everything in the existance. But it isn't a god in the sense that he or she will get pissed if you don't worship them properly. It's simply a product of the universe as a whole. Like a vast consciousness, no different than us except in scale. I like the notion that when we die, we can no longer hold cohesive forms, and so everything that we are isn't destroyed, but fades into the underlying background of the collective sum.

Personally I suppose I'm agnostic or atheist, still a little unsure. I try not to think about religion too much because whenever I do I drive myself crazy, seeing as I like everything to have a definite answer and with religion, you never really know. I'm skeptical but I also know I'll never truly know what's out there, at least not while I'm living. 

I guess for now my religion is to try to be a good person while I'm here and if there does wind up being something after all this...cool :D

On 23.2.2018 at 9:58 AM, Diamond Ace of Hearts said:

You can argue it’s an opinion about religion that’s true but Antitheism is definitely not a religious ideology or a religious belief/religious belief system. Atheism is no religious belief either but the absence of a religious belief. The statement "Atheism is not a religious belief"  you’re criticising here is completely correct.

I am a Christian, but don't follow a specific kind. I have gone to all sorts or churches. I'm going to a Lebanese Catholic church on Sunday, to learn of the cultural differences. 

On 2/25/2018 at 9:14 PM, Pramana said:

Buddhism, particularly Madhyamaka and Yogacara.

Is Madhyamika a "belief," given that Nagarjuna "has no proposition"?

5 hours ago, Tofer said:

Is Madhyamika a "belief," given that Nagarjuna "has no proposition"?

Very interesting question. I have to get back to these issues now that I've finished my asexuality researches. By the way, one consequence is that I've changed my view regarding the relationship between asexuality and enlightenment. I've determined the difference is that a sexual person would still experience the same mental state (sexual attraction), but would have no desire to act on that state (because their only motivation for action would be compassion).

• 5 weeks later...

@Dreamer23

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived