The Metalhead Fortress

SaturnOOO

@SaturnOOO

First impression (well, second impression, but the first time I was distracted by other things:) more of the same. But goddamnit I'm mindless DsO trash and it's more of the awesome same, so I'm pretty on board.

Replace Deathspell Omega with Epica and you've just summed up my feelings. Their albums are very similar in style, but I just like this style too much to seriously complain.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Piotrek said:

@SaturnOOO

Replace Deathspell Omega with Epica and you've just summed up my feelings. Their albums are very similar in style, but I just like this style too much to seriously complain.

And nothing wrong with that at all! The only reason I'm a little sad about DsO is that I remember when they were blowing everyone's minds. At the time, they sort of took black metal to the next level while still maintaining all the aspects that I personally loved about the black metal tradition. For their next two full lengths they continued to work around the same theme but were still fleshing out a whole concept. I guess now it seems like they've reached a plateau, beyond which you're simply not going to get more evolution. I dunno... Maybe I want to preserve them at their pinnacle of awesomeness or maybe I'm just starting to feel old ;) 

On 3/24/2017 at 6:18 PM, Piotrek said:

@XYZ96

Yesterday I briefly though I came across a Grailknights song when my Last.fm radio played this piece:

Hide contents

Well, not really, but still, judging by what I read about them, Gloryhammer do indulge in some goofiness too :P

Gloryhammer is marvelous, personally their second album is better then the first, but both are awesome. The first album, all about a prince (Angus McFife) in 10th century Scotland battling the evil wizard (Zargothrax), who has undead unicorns, and the second album takes place in the future (1992) with Angus Mcfife XIII vs Zargothrax, but in space! And they were founded by the singer of Alestorm, yeah, I'd say they can be a bit on the goofy side :lol:

(a song from each album)

they are fantastic

• Like 1

@XYZ96

Founded by the an Alestorm member? You mean the guys who sing (and star in the videos for) "Magnetic North" and "Drink"? Yeah, I definitely see the connection in terms of goofiness :D

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Piotrek said:

@XYZ96

Founded by the an Alestorm member? You mean the guys who sing (and star in the videos for) "Magnetic North" and "Drink"? Yeah, I definitely see the connection in terms of goofiness :D

yep, that dude, he's the keyboardist of Gloryhammer :P

Gloryhammer is one of my favourite bands ever... I really wish they'd release another album :(

• Like 2

I can't remember if I shared this next one or not (pretty sure I didn't though:)

This next song is totally appropriate for this thread:

• Like 2

@Tal Shi'ar

<Adds Aeterian to the "to explore further" pile.> I liked this song :)  Also, Epica :)

I'm exploring a YT channel devoted to WWI so I'll put some Great War-themed Sabaton songs here :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Like 1

^ Sabaton is one of my favorite bands, floating around somewhere in my top 5.. they were also probably the most expensive concert I ever went to, Bloodbound and Alestorm opening for Sabaton in Zurich. I got my favorite T-shirt from there, it's an Alestorm T-shirt with a pirate riding a Tank, it's such an awesome T-shirt :D .. 

(songs from my two favorite albums from them..) 

and here's what I was listening to before I go distracted by Sabaton :P ..

Spoiler

@XYZ96

I saw them live too, in a club located a stone's throw from where I live. (Which was a welcome relief seeing as I usually had to travel by train to see my favourite bands).

Fun fact, the hype for them in Poland was real after they recorded "40:1". It even got to the point when they received some sort of order for spreading the word about the Polish history! The good part about it is that after that they tended to tour Poland extensively whenever a new album was released.

• Like 1

I saw them live too, in a club located a stone's throw from where I live. (Which was a welcome relief seeing as I usually had to travel by train to see my favourite bands).

lucky...

I know the struggle to well of having to take a train to see bands... the bad part is always after the concert waiting for the train back home, which of course doesn't come for like 4 or 5am, when I usually get to the station though it's usually closer to 12.30 or 1am... but it's worth it :D ..

• Like 1
1 minute ago, XYZ96 said:

lucky...

I know the struggle to well of having to take a train to see bands... the bad part is always after the concert waiting for the train back home, which of course doesn't come for like 4 or 5am, when I usually get to the station though it's usually closer to 12.30 or 1am... but it's worth it :D ..

So much this :D I still remember when I had to wait several hours at the Warsaw's Central Train Station as the nearest connection was at 6 AM. It wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't been for the fact that Warsaw was covered by snow at that time, the train station was cold af and the sole of one of my shoes was broken which of course meant a soaked sock. Fun (though shivery) times. 

• Like 1

So much this :D I still remember when I had to wait several hours at the Warsaw's Central Train Station as the nearest connection was at 6 AM. It wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't been for the fact that Warsaw was covered by snow at that time, the train station was cold af and the sole of one of my shoes was broken which of course meant a soaked sock. Fun (though shivery) times. 

yep, I know that (though luckily I never had to deal with snow), was stuck in Basel for 4 hours after a concert (it was Delain and Leaves eyes and I think two others...), and it was early spring I think, maybe it was fall, and me being the genius I am only brought a light jacket, and being super tired I couldn't actually find the main entrance to the train station, so I had to go in the slightly colder side entrance. It was very cold... XD

the longest I had to wait was in Zurich for 6 hours, but it wasn't bad, I wasn't falling asleep and freezing so... 

oh, really cool band, they do a cappella (but they have a drummer...) 

fun music video

Spoiler

my favorite song from them... 

Spoiler

@XYZ96

I know a handful of songs by VC, but I never spinned them much, apart from "Primo Victoria" and "Wishmaster".

In other news, Bagpipes+metal=ultimate win :D

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Like 1
SithAzathoth WinterDragon

@Ricchan check this out :D

• Like 1

I'm listening to Judas Priest's Nostradamus album. It's got a very epic yet theatrical mood to it. It's one of the albums I can totally visualize in my head playing out. Haha.

This song/part is my favorite. It starts out slow and then gets epic at around 2:35 minutes into it:

• Like 2

Something a bit old school:

I might have posted the second one before if I did I apologize for re-posting it.

this used to be my favorite song, I still really really like it... 

• Like 1

• Like 1

@Starscream

I remember wanting to listen to or even buy "Nostradamus", but I never got round to it. Thanks for reminding me.

@XYZ96

The lyrics of Unicorn Invasion of Dundee made me think of this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_McGonagall    :P

Also from Dundee...

• Like 2

@Tal Shi'ar

I rarely listen to the original version of "For Whom the Bell Tolls". It may have been only the 2nd or 3rd time I've heard it. I like it :) though I'm much more used to the Moonsorrow cover. I tried to find it on YT, but I failed.

@Antihero.

I am not familiar with Eisregen. I just read the Wikipedia article and it says that some of their albums got censored in Germany due to graphic lyrics:blink:

@XYZ96

I used to be into Rhapsody (before the "of Fire" thing) a lot. Then I somehow got bored. The song you posted definitey sounds much like I what I used to listen to.

@Shieldmaiden WinterDragon

I'm definitely adding Lustre to my "to explore in depth" file :)

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

I'm definitely adding Lustre to my "to explore in depth" file

There is another band then you might like, They're Nebula Orionis. Both are alike in some ways.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Piotrek said:

@Antihero.

I am not familiar with Eisregen. I just read the Wikipedia article and it says that some of their albums got censored in Germany due to graphic lyrics:blink:

It’s true. Germany is the land of censorship after all. Eisregen have some of their albums indexed and the album Krebskolonie isn’t only indexed but the band is forbidden to perform any of the songs from that album in Germany.  I disagree with those methods of censorship.
Granted, their lyrics are extremely misanthropic, cynic, sick and yes also graphic though. Some people express disgust over their lyrics. 
Or let’s simply put it that way, their music definitely isn’t made for a sensitive and easily offended audience and it probably wouldn’t be the shit on birthday parties either ;)