The Metalhead Fortress

SaturnOOO

SithAzathoth WinterDragon
Spoiler

• Like 2

Shade Empire: Symphonic blackened death metal. Think of Dimmu Borgir and recent Septicflesh

Spoiler

Kalmah: Oldie but goodie melodeath

Spoiler

• Like 4
swirl_of_blue

I think it's time for me to crawl out of only reading and posting on the sexuality/relationship subforums... I guess this is as good a place to start as any!

My tastes lean strongly towards symphonic metal, probably because I've been listening to classical music since before I was born. I have also been playing at least one classical instrument for over twenty years (since I was 5). My favourite bands at the moment are Kamelot and Rhapsody of Fire, though I also love Turisas (which has an added bonus of being Finnish like me). If I want to go even "heavier" I also listen to Dragonforce. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with Sonata Arctica, sometimes I can spend days listening to nothing else and then be completely fed up with their music. I also like a lot of the older stuff from Nightwish.

Welcome @swirl_of_blue! Feel free to share your favourites or just hang out and chit chat! I have some thoughts on the symphonic bit, but unfortunately they're going to have to wait until I'm finished with this school project I'm in the midst of :mellow:. In the mean time, welcome to the world of Off-A!

• Like 2

@Shieldmaiden WinterDragon

Good to see Eluvietie here.

I'll add bonus versions of "Call of the Mountains" by them, recorded in the 4 official languages of Switzerland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y3OjJ3ib0w De Ruef Vo De Bärge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtMP7Nw0E3g Il Clom Dallas Muntognas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1BVDWCd8ZA Il Richiamo dei Monti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuezzJto5N4 L'appel des montagnes

• Like 3

^Hah! That's really cool.

well, I see three Eluveitie songs are on this page, so here's another, the same song in multiple languages

English:

Spoiler

French: 

Spoiler

Romansh: 

Spoiler

Italian: 

Spoiler

Swiss German: (I saw this version live...)  

Spoiler

Multilingual: 

Spoiler

edit: oh darn it, just saw that Piotrek was faster :lol: ... meh, it's cool enough to be posted twice :P .. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Piotrek said:

@Shieldmaiden WinterDragon

Good to see Eluvietie here.

I'll add bonus versions of "Call of the Mountains" by them, recorded in the 4 official languages of Switzerland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y3OjJ3ib0w De Ruef Vo De Bärge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtMP7Nw0E3g Il Clom Dallas Muntognas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1BVDWCd8ZA Il Richiamo dei Monti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuezzJto5N4 L'appel des montagnes

De Ruef Vo De Bärge has a video like the english version. I loved them all. Thanks :P 

• Like 1

Double post

Mkay so I said I was going to post some thoughts on symphonic, and I know everyone's just been waiting with bated breath :P 

I'm not generally speaking a "symphonic" fan, usually because it tends to be heavily synth-driven, and I prefer a rawer sound.  This is a general preference and very much not a rule, as some of my favourite bands are quite synthy. The closest I come among my faves to the symphonic sound in the usual metal sense might be Emperor:

BUT I hold an unpopular opinion that there is plenty of metal that is quite "symphonic" in its own right without any of the usual trappings, if what you want from the "symphonic" element is more classical composition and complex melody (rather than the more literal "sounding as if played by a symphony, in which case you're better off with the synth or, in certain cases, an actual symphony of course.) A good example is Necrophagist. Symphonic might not be one of the first words that pops to mind to describe them, but certainly balletic is, so that's worthy of a discussion!

And I mean, this song ends in a Prokofiev melody!

• Like 3

@SaturnOOO

I remember listening to some pieces by Emperor, but then I quickly moved on to the stuff recorded by Andrea Haugen (who used to be involved with one of the Emperor's members). I guess I'll have to give Emperor another spin. Also, I liked the Necrophagist songs. I need to search for more.

Some more Polish stuff from me:

Hellveto

Spoiler

Blakagir (lots of ambient here)

Spoiler

• Like 3

here's a band that comes from a city not far from where I went to school

so anyway, I saw them live at a festival. Before them on the main stage Equilibrium was playing, the moment Equilibrium was suppose to stop, they were suppose to start, so I ran to the other stage (the festival had a total of 3 stages..), they were a cool show, they even gave out free beer :P (though not much, so I didn't take any because others around me, who probably actually liked beer, wanted it way way more then me :P ..). After them on the main stage played Eluveitie, if I remember right, so unfortunately I didn't get a good spot for Eluveitie, but I had seen Eluveitie live before (Eluveitie played at the first Metal concert I'd ever went to, way before I was even into metal).. 

anyhow, this is a song they played, I'm even somewhere in that crowd (visible even if you know exactly where to look :P ..) 

• Like 1
J. van Deijck

never enough of Finnish metal

EDIT: also, here's one of my favourite folk metal songs ever :P

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, UVB-76 said:

EDIT: also, here's one of my favourite folk metal songs ever :P

Haha, this song brings back many memories :lol:

• Like 1

Something uplifting

@Antihero.

I'm definitely going to add these bands to my searches :) Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, UVB-76 said:

never enough of Finnish metal

This is truth.

• Like 1

@Piotrek glad you liked the Necrophagist! They are definitely worth several spins when you have the time. 

So many folk metal fans, so I may as well pour fuel on the fire: 

...And their subsequent band, Vreid, though they became significantly less folky.

• Like 2

• Like 1

Sad? Angry? In some sort of bad mood? here are the happiest people ever :P

• Like 2

@XYZ96

I totally agree with that :) Such happy metal :D Jump and carry on! Ride on!

OK, so I said in my first post here that I was into female-fronted metal, but still haven't posted any? Time to rectify this :)

Back from the days when the beauty and the beast vocals were still a relatively new thing.

Spoiler

Can't remember if I posted it before, but Last.fm says it's my most played song ever.

Spoiler

One of my favourite songs by After Forever

Spoiler

• Like 2