The Metalhead Fortress

SaturnOOO

Welcome @Ricchan! And thanks for sharing the link. There are some power metallers here who might enjoy! Please feel free to share your favourites!

• Like 1
SithAzathoth WinterDragon

Swedish Black Metal dump: 

And of course:

Fun facts about Armagedda that aren't really facts but random tidbits from my brain:

-They have some of my favourite use of bass in any black metal ever (yes, that bar is pretty low.) I love talking about this type of thing, so if anyone has any other black metal bass faves please tell me and we can discuss/ fight to the death.

-Their "Only True Believers album is so groovy it could almost have been called black n' roll before black n' roll was a thing. Plus the album starts off with a sample from the Twin Peaks movie Fire Walk With Me, so that gives it instant cred. 

• Like 1

@SaturnOOO

Since you didn't post any Moonsorrow, I will.

I <3 this combo:

Spoiler

Dat transition!

Also, some stuff in Polish :)

If you like classically-trained female vocalists:

Spoiler

Pity they only released one album...

You may have heard about these guys as some of their albums were released abroad. I really like this epic piece:

Spoiler

@Piotrek the Moonsorrow link only shows an error message for me! :( which two songs did you post? Whenever someone comments on a particularity like that I feel I must go listen right away and pay close attention, even if I know the song/ album well :P 

Here's a little thrash from Strapping Young Lad. Not something I listen to a lot, but it's one of my favorite songs of theirs specifically for how thrasy the sound is. Makes me wanna jump around and smash shit with great enthusiasm! :lol:

• Like 2

@Starscream that was so weird because I was mentally just summoning you to the Fortress :o 

As in I was thinking I needed to tag you to come breathe a little power metal life into the place lol. But this works! And yes, I feel exactly the same way about SYL! Don't listen often, and when I do I feel a little like a teenage boy. But sometimes just nothing else will do!! \m/

• Like 1

@SaturnOOO Hahaha. Awesome! Well, let me throw some Blind Guardian into the mix. I was planning on binge listening to some of their songs later on tonight. It's a ritual I have, but not every night. xD I listen to something different every now and then, but I'm getting nostalgia from Blind Guardian right now.

Blind Guardian vids:

Spoiler

I'm having a nostalgia night too! Listening to Opeth oddly. But Blind Guardian was one of the first  bands I heard after deciding to check out what on earth this metal scene was all about. Heck I'll listen to Opeth later; may as well have a Blind Guardian night :lol:

• Like 1

It's same mental wavelength night. Or should I say METAL wavelength!! \m/:D\m/

• Like 1

Neat! Always nice to see a thread like this. Here's some of my contributions.

Horrendous: Old-school influenced death metal

Vektor: Progressive thrash metal with plenty of death and black influences

Aquaria: Symphonic power metal

• Like 1

• Like 1

Welcome @Satrie, and thanks for the awesome contributions! Vektor  are awesome, and I really enjoyed that Horrendous track (I had never heard of them... Sadly my metal knowledge drops precipitously after 2009 ish when I stopped my radio show and started adulting :(.) It did make me think of one of my favourite "neo-old school" DM bands, though, Hail of Bullets: 

@Shieldmaiden WinterDragon good call on Týr. They've got some solid albums under their belt and a positive message so that deserves horns \m/ \m/. 

Fun fact: I could think of one other band off the top of my head from the Faroe Islands: Vhernen. They released an interesting album in 2007 with a very bleak atmosphere and featuring an electric cello. 

Funner fact: a Metal Archives search for them today has them hailing from Italy, with a blurb saying that while the band still claim to be from the Faroe Islands,  they are  "more likely based on Italy." Not sure who came to that conclusion or how they came to it! The blurb goes on to say that the band also claim to have been formed in 2006 but released a demo in 2005 so... Metal mystery?

Finally, @Amnesiac I've just been thinking that I never have anything to add to your posts because the closest I come to your tastes it seems is the sludge/ post-metal that everyone knows (Isis, Cult of Luna, Russian Circles, and that lot.) But it seems your preference tends toward the math/core side of things. The problem with that for me has always been the vocals. Outside of Meshuggah, even if I like the music I never seem to be able to get used to the core vocals. I think it's finally happening though. I've been listening to your contributions, and that last Architects track slayed. I didn't think about the vocals at all (which is the first step.) 10/10 would listen again.

• Like 1

OK does anyone know how to make multiple spoilers that don't nest? Do I have to place an additional [/spoiler] in between each? So two breaks?

Edit: Ok I did it, but in multiple painful steps. There's got to be an easier way! I wonder if it's worth it to go back and try to fix my Swedish black metal post. I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, SaturnOOO said:

OK does anyone know how to make multiple spoilers that don't nest? Do I have to place an additional [/spoiler] in between each? So two breaks?

In the box where you write your post, there is a picture of an eye, if you click that it automatically places a spoiler, which you can type in. Then simply click under the box and click the eye again to make a new spoiler. :)

Though I would suggest in the future you ask questions about how to work the site, here: http://www.asexuality.org/en/forum/2-site-comments/ as more people are likely to see it who can help!

• Like 1

@SaturnOOO

I posted Tyven/Sankarihauta.

Speaking of Faroese bands I remember coming across a prog metal Faroese band on Last.fm. I liked the few songs that I heard but I can't recall what they were called. I'll have to trawl through my list...

Thanks @Ricchan. I probably should have gone there first, though I find I don't bother as much anymore since most of it doesn't apply to me as my computer (is old) hates AVEN and the majority of "extra" functions don't work for me, so I find I always end up doing things manually. Actually, though, your post did end up being helpful because I tried the eye button and it does in fact work for me... one of the few! So thanks. That might solve my problem.

Edit: never mind. I just remembered I can't post youtube videos on my computer; have to do it on mobile, but mobile doesn't have the eye as far as I can tell. So I will head over to the info center :lol:

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

@SaturnOOO

Speaking of Faroese bands I remember coming across a prog metal Faroese band on Last.fm. I liked the few songs that I heard but I can't recall what they were called. I'll have to trawl through my list...

According to M-A the two Faroese prog bands are Heljareyga and Terji :P Was it one of those?

*Goes to listen to Moonsorrow*

51 minutes ago, SaturnOOO said:

Finally, @Amnesiac I've just been thinking that I never have anything to add to your posts because the closest I come to your tastes it seems is the sludge/ post-metal that everyone knows (Isis, Cult of Luna, Russian Circles, and that lot.) But it seems your preference tends toward the math/core side of things. The problem with that for me has always been the vocals. Outside of Meshuggah, even if I like the music I never seem to be able to get used to the core vocals. I think it's finally happening though. I've been listening to your contributions, and that last Architects track slayed. I didn't think about the vocals at all (which is the first step.) 10/10 would listen again.

I'd say that's a fair judgement, especially with Cult of Luna and Russian Circles! I've not been in the mood for them lately however :P But yes, I'd say I'm definitely more on the mathy side, with Dillinger Escape Plan, Sikth, Botch and Converge being the big ones for me. Core genres as a whole I'm maybe a bit hesitant because a lot of it sounds the same to me, especially with what modern metalcore has become. Of Mice & Men for example are so far removed from the roots of the actual genre. Architects though, even though their roots are deep in Metalcore and Mathcore, that latest album All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us is so far above what any of those modern bands could hope to achieve they've kinda hit that same level as Meshuggah where they have a sound all to themselves, especially with Sam's distinctive vocals. You should give All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us a listen, it's a masterpiece both musically and lyrically :D Also like a sledgehammer to the face live haha

A song from when I first got into them many years ago :P 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

@SaturnOOO

Wow, listening now. Thanks for posting these... the memories came flooding back within the first couple bars! Somehow this album had gotten lost in time for me. Thanks for the reminder. This is great old school Moonsorrow!!

Edit: Oh man another great throwback: I am loving this, even though I'm having to manually copy urls because it seems all these videos are blocked on mobile.

32 minutes ago, Amnesiac said:

Core genres as a whole I'm maybe a bit hesitant because a lot of it sounds the same to me, especially with what modern metalcore has become.

That's really interesting. I also have been hesitant about it, to the point of being dismissive previously. I also sort of put Meshuggah in their own box separate from all the rest. But I've been suspecting lately that there are some bands that are really transcending the usual formula (from what I've heard from people whose tastes I trust); I just don't know enough about the scene to identify who they are and never had the time to look deeply into it. I'm so happy you're confirming this for me and I will definitely check out All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us!

• Like 1

@SaturnOOO Thank ya! Glad you enjoyed Horrendous. It's definitely harder to explore newer bands when you don't have the time... :mellow:

Some atmospheric black folk/pagan metal

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Like 2

Welcome @Scarlite! Feel free to share your favourites, discuss anything metal and that comes to mind, or just enjoy the soundtrack!

@Satrie oh, I am expecting great things from you my friend! *rubs hands together*