The Metalhead Fortress

SaturnOOO

... :o

Okay I admit, you got me. I have no idea who that is and I can't find them anywhere on Metal Archives!!

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

• Like 1

Some experimental death metal, while we're on the subject:

Bolzer: these guys released two really good EPs but I still haven't listened to their full length from 2016 :mellow:

• Like 1

• Like 1

@Shieldmaiden WinterDragon's post in the random thread made me think of this because Isengard. Fenriz  released this album in 1994. Same year as Transylvanian Hunger :D

Edited by SaturnOOO
Dumb autocorrect
  • Like 2

I'll never be able to choose a favorite subgenre, but I guess this is a pretty alright summary of what I generally like.

• Like 3

Back before they had to change their name to The Kovenant, and from some comment changing their style as well? havent listened to anything else of theirs so dont know. Dont know if these start at beginning, for me they seem to start somewhere middle since ive listened to them before, i do mean to start from beginning anyway, might just be my cookies or whatever.

• Like 2
J. van Deijck

I'm not sure if this is still metal, but I just wanted to leave it here because I love this song so much.

• Like 2

this has gotta be my favorite music video, it's just so funny :P 

the dudes face at 1:07minutes explains my reaction the first time I watched this :P...

and while we are on the case of odd videos :P

Christopher bowes is fun :P (as in the singer in the first video and the keyboardist of the lower two..) 

actually the first picture I ever took with my phone was a picture where posed for me :P... (at the bar after a concert)

4wlRkW1CkV1oQ.gif 

Count me in :D

Lots of fine bands so far.

I'm especially into bands with female vocalists, rich arrangements and/or clear melodies: Nightwish, Epica, After Forever, Therion, Leaves' Eyes, Amarathe (though the metal status of this one is debatable :D ). Folk intruments won't hurt either (Eluveitie!). Won't give links to the songs as they are easy to find.

Rather, I wanted to ask you if you prefer bands from non-English speaking countries to write/sing in English or to stick with their native language? I find it to be to their advantage if they do the latter. While I usually end up not understanding anything I imagine they can probably express themselves much better this way. Some examples:

From Turkey

Spoiler

From Iceland:

Spoiler

From Hungary:

Spoiler

And from my native Poland (ignore the title, this is actually in Polish :) )

Spoiler

• Like 1

Wow, such a good morning. So much to catch up on!

Welcome @WhatGhost and @Piotrek! Some amazing submissions and some old favourites there!

Piotrek, to answer your question, I agree with you; I have a slight preference for when bands keep lyrics in their native tongue. However, this is far from a dealbreaker for me since I usually tend to treat the vocals as their own distinct instrumentation. In that sense I often like not understanding the lyrics and just enjoying the sound (I also used to listen to Profanum quite often :) )

Speaking of vocals, @Tal Shi'ar Tuomas has a fantastic growl.

@XYZ96 :lol: Alestorm are ridiculous. I feel at this point a Finntroll submission is in order (this will have to be a separate post), but even Finntroll don't reach anywhere near that level of absurd.

@Urishir Great submissions! I love "In Times Before the Light"!

@Antihero. TAAKE!! Nice one. I love Taake :D.

Hope I didn't miss anyone. Keep 'em coming. This thread is turning out to be a great soundtrack.

• Like 1

And...

I once read a review of some band (can't even remember who) in which the reviewer I think was basically saying they had grand ideas but couldn't deliver due to lack of cohesion. He made this comparison: "On the other hand Finntroll consists in five drunken guys who can barely play their instruments, rely on elementary song structures and fill their albums with goofy stuff, but simply deliver amongst the best folk metal you may ever imagine. Why? Finntroll is a BAND." 

...I thought the review was quite perceptive. :lol:

• Like 2

@Tal Shi'ar

Great song from Amon Amarth. I don't know if you realise (or care) but this great video you posted was actually shot in Poland. The palisade and gateway shown are a part of a reconstructed settlement, which hosts a big a re-enactment event every year (just go to YT and search for "Festiwal Słowian i Wikingów). I think the warriors were also local re-enactors.

@SaturnOOO

Thanks for the warm welcome. It's not a dealbreaker for me either. After all, the bands which I mentioned as my favourites sing mostly in English

One more favourite of mine (in Norwegian) :

• Like 1

• Like 2

I don't listen to this album nearly often enough.

Why am I just now watching Alestorm's Magnetic North? I guess western pirates work too.

This song played on my way to work. Such a fun song to sing to.

These guys are cool. Found them when I bought a CD lot online.

And because someone posted Borknagar, one of my favorite songs by them:

• Like 1

(the song that introduced me to Finntroll a few years ago) 

(the song that introduced me to Equilibrium) 

(and though I don't listen to them as much as I used to, a song from the first metal band I actually actively searched out to listen to, so the first metal band I really listened to) 

(the first metal bands I think I listened to where Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Rhapsody of Fire and Alestorm...) 

• Like 2

Upthread I saw Summoning and Falkenbach, so you may also want to check out this. A US project inspired by the Appalachia region.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

@Shieldmaiden WinterDragon

Currently checking out Frosttide. Great stuff :D

^:lol:

Welcome @Naali! I agree Turisas are a fun band. Thanks for adding a different side of Borknagar. They have been through several iterations now, each interesting in its own way. We may have to fight over Garm vs. Vintersorg though :P!

@Piotrek thanks for sharing Appalachian Winter. I had never heard of them!

Since Henri Sorvali has had his day in the sun on this page with Finntroll, I wanted to post some Moonsorrow, but it seems that most of their stuff is blocked on YouTube, with the exception of their newest album which I find underwhelming. Give me Verisäkeet or give me death! 

So here's some death. Metal, that is. 

• Like 2

For anyone who hasn't heard these, they sound like the love child of Meshuggah and The Dillinger Escape Plan.

• Like 1