The Metalhead Fortress

SaturnOOO

Enne Kristin

• Like 1
Enne Kristin

• Like 1

• Like 2

Pretty sure I've shared this one before, but it's one of my favourites soooooo: 

• Like 2

• Like 2

@Ricki

YouTube has been recommending me Unleash the Archers for some time, but I never watched/heard them before. Sounds like I need to explore them further. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

@Ricki

YouTube has been recommending me Unleash the Archers for some time, but I never watched/heard them before. Sounds like I need to explore them further. Thanks for sharing.

They're the band that got me into (speed) metal, so I will always love them :D 

• Like 3

@Ricki

Musically this song reminded me of "Painkiller" in terms of speed and the vocals (female vocals remind me of Halford...weird...) Add the growls and I'm definitely interested :) Are other songs of theirs like this too?

Also, a Faroese folk song in metal version:

Spoiler

• Like 2

Don't know if this has been posted yet (sorry) but my favorite song for the past year and a half has been this:

Spoiler

There's been a lot of mixed audience reactions to Nightwish's new album but it quickly rose to be a favorite, idgaf what people say.  It felt like Nightwish to me again tbh, though I did like the albums that came after Once and when Tarja left.  I liked Annette (especially her vocals in the the Imaginerium album), but Floor blows me away with her performance here.  This piece is art to me, plain and simple.  I love how I can listen to it and tell which part of earth's history they're talking about, especially with orchestral score alone.  I've been thinking of doing an animatic with drawn images with it, because after listening to this song for over a year I have so many ideas to implement as an art student and the need to put it down.  So this cements this song as my favorite song ever, at least so far ;)  Also... it's 24 minutes of metal.  Play it at my funeral ya'll

• Like 3

@vmdraco

Yeah, I really like Floor's work in Nightwish too :) Have you heard her previous band, After Forever? She showed so much versatility there...

In case you don't know them, here are 2 random pieces I like:

Spoiler

Spoiler

As for "The Greatest Show on Earth" (the song, not the album), I have mixed feelings about it. I really like certain parts of it (such as Dawkins' spoken bits) , but overall I think I wouldn't mind if it were shorter.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Piotrek said:

@Ricki

Musically this song reminded me of "Painkiller" in terms of speed and the vocals (female vocals remind me of Halford...weird...) Add the growls and I'm definitely interested :) Are other songs of theirs like this too?

Some of their more recent stuff seems to be going more into it again! (though this one has an annoying music video, which I never like when trying to listen to music playlists :lol:

• Like 2

Though here's one of the ones they did where I love the music videos so :D 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Piotrek said:

@vmdraco

Yeah, I really like Floor's work in Nightwish too :) Have you heard her previous band, After Forever? She showed so much versatility there...

In case you don't know them, here are 2 random pieces I like:

Hide contents

Hide contents

I dig the songs posted!  Especially in Beautiful Emptiness, her voice is really powerful there.  After a quick google search I saw that they only did a handful of albums, so it'll be quick for me to binge and get a feel for them.

7 hours ago, Piotrek said:

As for "The Greatest Show on Earth" (the song, not the album), I have mixed feelings about it. I really like certain parts of it (such as Dawkins' spoken bits) , but overall I think I wouldn't mind if it were shorter.

I can see why someone wouldn't want to sit through 24 minutes.  I tend to listen to it when I'm going for runs or in car rides for this reason, where my mind can take me places with it and I don't have to listen to it in intervals.  I actually don't care much for the Dawkins' quotes, it does feel a little distracting from the music.  They could have just left the score alone and let it speak for itself, but I can see why they put it in there. 

3 hours ago, Ricki said:

Though here's one of the ones they did where I love the music videos so :D 

I love this song!  Another favorite of mine is Time Stands Still.  When I first heard her voice I was in love.  It's been a while since I looked at them so idk if they released new albums...

Edited by vmdraco
  • Like 2

Quite a few interesting and well-known bands hail from the Netherlands and yet you rarely hear Dutch in metal. Still, I've recently found these guys and they rock :) Another thing that I like about them is that they use clean vocals instead growls typical in this type of metal.

Spoiler

• Like 2
4 hours ago, vmdraco said:

I love this song!  Another favorite of mine is Time Stands Still.  When I first heard her voice I was in love.  It's been a while since I looked at them so idk if they released new albums...

Oh that one is good too! I guess they might have because Ive seen their name pop up a couple of times in the last few months! :D 

• Like 1
On 8/6/2017 at 9:04 PM, Hinabi said:

Back from Wacken Open Air~

did you also find Doro and Amon Amarth were a really weird combination? XD ..

So one of the days some TV reporter person came to the the people camping next to us to interview them (I was in my tent, not ready to wake up yet or for rain...), so my Tent got on TV :D .. 

Speaking of Wacken, the beginning of Wacken there's a metal Battle thing, were bands from different countries compete against each other, these were in my opinion the best ones I saw, they were really good, all of them I saw were actually really good (I didn't see all of them though..)... (neither are really music I'd listen to, but still they were really good show..) 

from Finnland: From the Void

Spoiler

from Iceland (they were scary... ): Une Misére (got 4th place)

Spoiler

honorable mention: Hungary's band (forgot the name) the singer cartwheeled on stage and then blew bubbles everywhere XD .. the winners were Jet Jaguar from Mexico, they were also great, so I don't feel bad about them winning instead of Iceland or Finnland, because they were also a pretty great show.. 

Spoiler

I found myself in that video, I'm the the person wearing black... :ph34r:

Wacken was fun, but I still have a leg cramp XD... 

On 2017-08-05 at 2:59 PM, Peinture Paix said:

You so get it :wub: 

To all: still in France with very spotty wifi, so video heavy threads are a no-go. Can't wait to catch up!

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, SaturnOOO said:

You so get it :wub: 

To all: still in France with very spotty wifi, so video heavy threads are a no-go. Can't wait to catch up!

Indeed, indeed. :lol: Enjoy your time in France, and stay safe!

• Like 1
Sage Raven Domino

I'd also prefer to see just links instead of a wall of embedded videos, even though my connection has a 100 mbit/s speed.

I haven't read the whole thread, but it must be really solid, judging by the last page, and I still need to clean my playlist up - there's been way too much 'core in it lately :redface: Maybe I'll just stick a ton of Meshuggah into it - that's immortal classic - and all that Unleash The Archers have to offer - it looks like I'm not yet in the mood for more extreme stuff. 

• Like 1
Sage Raven Domino
On 7/25/2017 at 0:51 AM, N'y said:

Body Count

Speaking of rap metal, here's my new favorite in that genre (well, rather, in the djent rap genre :P ):

BackWordz - Be Great

It's amazing how Eric July can do good rap, clean and scream vocals, all in the same song.