The Metalhead Fortress

SaturnOOO

6 hours ago, Karret said:

Unrelated; I recently discovered I'm a fan of [at least the latest two albums of] Cattle Decap. * v* Surprised me, I wasn't expecting their music to really be up my alley. I'd checked out a Cannibal Corpse album before, and yeah it was alright, but nothing special for me; saw CD in the recs,  and decided to  check 'em out, figuring they'd be like CC, but heard their name thrown around so much that I oughta check them out. Next thing I know, I'm listening to Anthroposcene Extinction on repeat for days, if not a week or so. X'D

To me there's no feeling like discovering a new album that I love! Yeah, I definitely wouldn't compare Cattle Decap. To CC, aside from the gory imagery, though I actually consider both to be solid bands!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SaturnOOO said:

To me there's no feeling like discovering a new album that I love! Yeah, I definitely wouldn't compare Cattle Decap. To CC, aside from the gory imagery, though I actually consider both to be solid bands!

Right? I almost feel bad sometimes, because during that time, I'll hear others that are really nice, too, but I'm just not done obsessing over the first, so I don't give those others what I feel would be their appropriate appreciation. XD

-nodnod- Yeah, they definitely aren't the same; I hadn't properly listened to either, so I just sorta vaguely lumped them together. They are both very solid, CD just happened to really hook into my brain in a way that, for now at least, CC didn't manage to do.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Karret said:

Right? I almost feel bad sometimes, because during that time, I'll hear others that are really nice, too, but I'm just not done obsessing over the first, so I don't give those others what I feel would be their appropriate appreciation. XD

*Nods. I'll totally not let myself be completely immersed in other albums because part of me is still so attached to whatever I'm obsessing over. That's why I'll rarely write something off that seems solid but just isn't my cup of tea when I first hear it. There re albums I've returned to over and over throughout the years to give them another chance because maybe this time something will click. Sometimes it just doesn't happen, but I've found new favourites that way... Where for years something just wasn't jiving with me until suddenly it clicks into place.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SaturnOOO said:

*Nods. I'll totally not let myself be completely immersed in other albums because part of me is still so attached to whatever I'm obsessing over. That's why I'll rarely write something off that seems solid but just isn't my cup of tea when I first hear it. There re albums I've returned to over and over throughout the years to give them another chance because maybe this time something will click. Sometimes it just doesn't happen, but I've found new favourites that way... Where for years something just wasn't jiving with me until suddenly it clicks into place.

Yup, exactly. Sometimes, I've done like a "ooh, this is alright, but too heavy for my tastes", and then come back later remembering how it was too much, but instead I'm like 'I don't get it, w-how.. where is the stuff that's too heavy for me to handle?' X'D

• Like 1

Last couple for the day, I promise.

• Like 1

FORTRESS :D

Enne Kristin

Join Silver in the Color Wars - we have Fondant

• Like 3
Enne Kristin

A new song by Epica!

Spoiler

And here is a song by Cellar Darling, the new band of Anna Murphy and Ivo, formerly from Eluveitie!

Spoiler

• Like 4

This showed up on my Spotify recently. It didn't blow me away, but I thought maybe some of my friends from the Fortress would like it! Specifically @Shieldmaiden WinterDragon, though I know she's off in the wilderness this summer. Potentially @XYZ96 also?

• Like 3

I should really check in here more often :lol: 

anyways: 

(saw these guys in 2014 in Nuremburg, if you like Finntroll, you should probably like them as well) 

and another beautiful song (I once knew almost the whole song by heart, and would write the chorus just everywhere....) 

@SaturnOOO

Perhaps Piotrek also? :D

Seriously, I will soon lose track of all the fine bands that have been recommended here.

• Like 1

I'm so happy I rediscovered Troldhaugen :lol: 

23 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

@SaturnOOO

Perhaps Piotrek also? :D

Seriously, I will soon lose track of all the fine bands that have been recommended here.

Hehe! I ALMOST tagged you! But I talked myself out if it because most of your faves seem more around the... Hmmm, ethereal or otherworldly atmosphere? I wasn't sure how much you'd be into the melodeath backdrop :D

@SaturnOOO

As long as it's MELOdeath (or MELOblack), please count me in :D

Some Polish examples:

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Piotrek said:

I've just spent way too much time trawling through three quarters of the thread to find a band whose name I couldn't remember, but which I remembered seeing here :D (It was Necrophagist).

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

It was Necrophagist).

Yeaaaahhh! Necrophagist \m/ \m/ ^_^

these guys are from Russia, don't know, but I don't hear all to many Russian bands for some reason... also they have multiple songs or rather albums in Swedish for some reason... they changed from Swedish lyrics to English in 2010 though... 

anyway, their Songs all (or maybe just most) take place in the town of Svartby a made up place inhabited by mythical creatures and stuff, they're neat :D ... 

this is currently my favorite from them:

• Like 1

@XYZ96

Speaking of Russian bands, one that I can think of is Alkonost:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I only know a couple of songs from one album, though.

• Like 1

Youtube sometimes confuses me, you start out at Nekrogablikon (Friends in Space) and end up, somehow, at Nightwish (Nemo), I like both bands, so it isn't a problem, just weird to have music running in the background, start out with silly whatever Nekrogoblikon is and then eventually notice something that is just so different, in so many ways (except that's they're both metal, but I think that's kinda obvious... seeing as what thread this is...)  :lol:

Spoiler

I've been into heavy metal since I was 11 (seriously. The first album I ever bought was Metallica's Black Album when I was 12, and that was always because I was borrowing my dads copy and he kept on getting annoyed).

My three favorite metal genres are industrial, thrash, and death metal. I actually pride myself in owning the original release, non remastered versions of three Chris Barnes era Cannibal Corpse albums, as well as the original release versions of three Death albums, plus a couple remasters that I wanna rebuy the non remasters of, but just haven't wanted to spend the money of a "re-buy" so to speak. As you could tell, I don't go for remastered versions of albums. I think once an album is released, that should be it, and you shouldn't really tinker with it (at least too much, anyways). For example, I used to own the remaster of The sound of Perseverance by the band Death. I kept thinking something was off and not right. When I bought the original, I realized that in the remaster, it seemed to me the drums were muted, some of the guitars in certain parts were too loud, and the bass was almost non-existent.

In fact, I just finished listening to Death's Human album (the one that's remastered, ugh). It's a great album, even IF the remaster didn't help. I'd post their version of God of Thunder had I not chose to post on my tablet.

I think I rambled on enough now(and now I find myself wanting to listen to Led Zepplin after that statement, :lol:).

• Like 2

In no way can I justify addressing myself as a Metalhead. If truth be told I'm not really a listener Wen it comes to music. 

However here is one Heavy Metal which I know most of the songs off by heart and often find myself banging my head to.

IRON MAIDEN. Love these guys. Get me every time.

YAY FOR MORE THRASH HEADS :D

• Like 3

I guess I should point out that what got me into collecting non-remasters is from being such a big Megadeth fan and being......shocked at the end result of their remasters, making me glad I bought most of their albums long before the remaster era (I own all their albums besides Super Collider and Risk, and of the ones I own, only Cryptic Writings is a remaster. Yes, I even own pre-remaster Rust in Peace).

Thrash is my number 1, so anything new to the genre I'm down to hear. Though I must admit, I always preferred Testament over Anthrax, despite Anthrax having two awesome albums.

52 minutes ago, CallaWolf said:

I guess I should point out that what got me into collecting non-remasters is from being such a big Megadeth fan and being......shocked at the end result of their remasters, making me glad I bought most of their albums long before the remaster era (I own all their albums besides Super Collider and Risk, and of the ones I own, only Cryptic Writings is a remaster. Yes, I even own pre-remaster Rust in Peace).

Thrash is my number 1, so anything new to the genre I'm down to hear. Though I must admit, I always preferred Testament over Anthrax, despite Anthrax having two awesome albums.

Anthrax has more than 2 awesome albums. Also, I was split between posting the last song I did, and a new band that Chris Broderick and Shaun Drover split off from Megadeth and joined.