The Metalhead Fortress

SaturnOOO

It sank once more. A metalhead to the rescue!

I only know a fraction of these guys' output, but that's enough to convince me that they rock!

Spoiler

Spoiler

And finally:

Spoiler

• Like 1

@Amnesiac I think that's the darkest think you've ever posted! :D it reminds me of something... The first thing that comes to mind is Gorguts' latest, but it could be something else, too...

@SaturnOOO Ha! I do dig a lot of dark music, just lately I've been to a few gigs for lighter bands so I've been more focussed on that :P Venom Prison are an outstanding new band though, high hopes for them! 

• Like 1

This one is a bit weird and fun, but also still a good song :D (The music video is just plain strange though)... 

• Like 1
SithAzathoth WinterDragon

• Like 2

Don't think these guys have been posted which is surprising. Dir En Grey.

Spoiler

Ex Deo

Spoiler

All Shall Perish

Spoiler

Oh, this song is magnificent. Swallow the Sun.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Amnesiac said:

@SaturnOOO Did you ever get round to giving this album a listen?

Yes I did! I still struggle with some of the core elements, but there are a lot of things I really like about it too. Honestly at this point if I could just take out the vocals I'd probably be super into it. Progress! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SaturnOOO said:

Yes I did! I still struggle with some of the core elements, but there are a lot of things I really like about it too. Honestly at this point if I could just take out the vocals I'd probably be super into it. Progress! 

I'll take that! His vocals never did it for me at first either, more I got used to them the more I actually respected how talented the guy is! Nice one for actually giving it a try though :D 

3 minutes ago, Amnesiac said:

I'll take that! His vocals never did it for me at first either, more I got used to them the more I actually respected how talented the guy is! Nice one for actually giving it a try though :D 

This has happened to me so many times. I think if I went on first impressions alone I probably wouldn't be listening to the majority of my favourite bands today :D

• Like 1

Metallica, Bullet for my Valentine, Iron Maiden are some of my favourites. Being a both a metalhead and a girl is difficult I guess!! I get (literally)pushed around in concerts because I'm too small lol!! 

Welcome @KikiroQ9 :) 

I know the feeling of being one of the tiniest people at the metal concert well... Traditionally my approach to dealing with this is to get right up to the front row. That way not only do you get a great view but you can also brace yourself on the stage!

• Like 1

I know they're not strictly metal, but they're heavy and it's one of my favourite ever songs off one of the greatest albums ever made (in my opinion) :D 

• Like 1

I think some of you would like this... I used to play pieces from this band's first two albums back when I was doing my radio show. They were local, and although they were fairly generic in sound, there was something just a bit more epic and dreamy in their style that made it seem like they had great potential. I was stoked when they released this album in 2013 where they really grew into their own!

• Like 1

This song may have been recorded in 1982, but today it's more relevant than ever:

Spoiler

• Like 2

So many awesome bands posted in here :D here's my current favourite song!

• Like 1

I feel so out of the loop when it comes to metal.   

I haven't really picked up a new album since... Fuck, Midnight's Satanic Majesty in... Christ, 2011? Really? It's been that long?

Then again, I'm not as big into metal as I used to be.  I like anything doom, anything that sounds like it was inspired by Venom, and more traditional sounding stuff.   Maybe I'll post some of my favorite stuff when I get home.

4 hours ago, (A) & A said:

I feel so out of the loop when it comes to metal.   

I haven't really picked up a new album since... Fuck, Midnight's Satanic Majesty in... Christ, 2011? Really? It's been that long?

Yep, I know this feeling all too well. Nonetheless, welcome to the Fortress!

I'm curious since @(A) & A brought up being into other genres. Do you guys find that when you listen to non-metal your tastes tend to still be influenced by metal in certain ways? Or can you just switch channels completely? I feel on the surface some of my non-metal tastes could he seen as vastly different, but really I actually don't think they are. Metal is my framework for everything. I love other genres, but when I love something in another genre I'm often reminded of something I love in metal. For instance, the dark Americana album Jay Munly and the Lee Lewis Harlots has riffs that could probably be right at home in a heavy metal or thrash album coloured with black/ doom.

That's an interesting question... I tend to love loud/fast/powerful music which is one of the reasons metal attracts me so much. So maybe it's not that I feel like relating it to metal, but there would certainly be similarities.

(plus rock/metal covers tend to totally blow original songs out the water... but I'm one of those freaks that love cover songs...) 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ricchan said:

plus rock/metal covers tend to totally blow original songs out the water... but I'm one of those freaks that love cover songs...) 

Best metal covers: another great conversation topic :P. I did an entire show in this once!

22 minutes ago, SaturnOOO said:

Best metal covers: another great conversation topic :P. I did an entire show in this once!

Though being honest, literally anything this guy makes is amazing :P 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Re: metal covers

Lady Gaga's Poker Face by Wildpath

Spoiler

Mike Oldfield's To France by Leaves' Eyes

Spoiler

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's "D'Oreste D'Ajace" (from "Idomeneo") by Aesma Daeva

Spoiler

• Like 3
SaturnOOO