Is there a term for this?

fup

I have only ever felt romantic attraction to

A) Fictional characters

B) Celebrities I am never going to meet

C) People I don't know

If I ever actually get to know a person I am attracted to, the attraction fades and it becomes purely platonic. If this attraction was sexual I'd say it was fetishistic but there is never anything sexual about it. Does anyone else experience this?

Arvid of Rivendell
56 minutes ago, fup said:

If I ever actually get to know a person I am attracted to, the attraction fades and it becomes purely platonic. 

That sounds like frayromantic (link) to me, but you may find another term that works better. I don't personally experience this, but I think there are frayromantics here on AVEN or elsewhere on the Internet. 

TheLastOfSheila

Been there fup.  Still in love in fact.  The perfect ace relationship for me really.

mentally%20dating%20a%20celeb%20meme.png

Oh hey, that frayromantic definition fits perfectly. And of course I missed the thread in this very forum all about it, because I didn't click on it due to not knowing what the word meant...

It's a weird one though. Like it seems like a romantic relationship would be quite nice but I don't think I'll ever have one because I don't maintain those feelings for potential partners.

• 3 weeks later...
SamwiseLovesLife
On 06/03/2017 at 2:38 PM, TheLastOfSheila said:

The perfect ace relationship for me really.

Can I just say I adore your signature photo :D I don't need to think, I KNOW I'm the one <3

TheLastOfSheila
2 hours ago, AmberLovesLife said:

Can I just say I adore your signature photo :D I don't need to think, I KNOW I'm the one <3

Glad you enjoyed it Amber.  So nice to find a kindred spirit in the wilderness.

On 3/6/2017 at 1:54 PM, fup said:

It's a weird one though. Like it seems like a romantic relationship would be quite nice but I don't think I'll ever have one because I don't maintain those feelings for potential partners.

I'm not an expert, but you might be cupio-frayromantic. Cupio is basically when you desire a relationship in theory but don't actually want them.  http://cupiosexual-cupioromantic.tumblr.com/post/89558528670/cupiosexual-is-a-subset-of-asexual-it-is-used-to <--- this should explain it better tho.

SamwiseLovesLife
On 28/03/2017 at 9:51 PM, laura_ said:

I'm not an expert, but you might be cupio-frayromantic. Cupio is basically when you desire a relationship in theory but don't actually want them.  http://cupiosexual-cupioromantic.tumblr.com/post/89558528670/cupiosexual-is-a-subset-of-asexual-it-is-used-to <--- this should explain it better tho.

This is really interesting. How would be the best way of telling apart cupioromanticism and greyromanticism?

23 hours ago, AmberLovesLife said:

This is really interesting. How would be the best way of telling apart cupioromanticism and greyromanticism?

I believe cupioromanticism is on the grayro/aro spectrum (think "all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares" if squares represent cupioromanticism and rectangles represent grayromanticism), but it's honestly whichever you prefer to identify with. I might be wrong though, so if you know anything different feel free to correct me :)

Archived