a gender positive thread

butterflydreams

32 minutes ago, ChillaKilla said:

I grew a bit over an inch :’) I thought it was all over for me but apparently not. I’m so relieved, I’m not cursed with 5’7.5” sub-average height!

Haha I'm about 5'7.5 ;u;

I'm either 5'7 or 5'8... I think that's on the lower side of average for where I'm from.

• Like 2

I had two very direct instances of people affirming my gender/gendering me correctly today. While I was shopping with my mom a lady asked my opinion on which shirt was better saying something like "hey since you're a boy.." (that sounds weird but it's hard to translate from spanish). And then later we bumped into a neighbor and she refered to me by male terms so I'm guessing she must have thought I was one of my brothers.

After feeling more dysphoric the last week because I've gained some weight on all the wrong areas it felt really good to know I still pass pretty much entirely to the rest of the world. Even one of my brothers, who doesn't really consider me as male because he just doesn't understand or respect trans people, has mentioned a lot how male I look. I wish I had more emotional support but I guess at least I have this.

• Like 8

I finally managed to buy a watch :) I like how it looks and it was cheap. 

I also bought a Star Wars tshirt and a camo one :) 

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Macallion said:

I quite like my eyes. I have central heterochromia, which means a different coloured band just outside of the pupil. I have one of the most common colour combinations (gold in grey-blue) of the most common kind, but all the same. This is not my eye, but it's not far off. I also have semi-perfect pitch. ^_^

Oh, another person with central heterochromia, hello! I have orange close to the pupil with the rest green and grey (but, not like a blend of colors, but you can see the parts that are green and the parts that are grey) with black specks here and there. Unfortunately, I can't find eyes similar to mine on the internet. 

We have beautiful eyes! :D 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Macallion said:

I quite like my eyes. I have central heterochromia, which means a different coloured band just outside of the pupil. I have one of the most common colour combinations (gold in grey-blue) of the most common kind, but all the same. This is not my eye, but it's not far off. I also have semi-perfect pitch. ^_^

I call my eyes simply hazel, but I think that they're actually hazel with orange sunburst and gold flecks. I like them, it gives me sort of a mystique. (I am now known as that enchantress in the corner).

11 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I call my eyes simply hazel, but I think that they're actually hazel with orange sunburst and gold flecks. I like them, it gives me sort of a mystique. (I am now known as that enchantress in the corner).

sorta like this but with gold flecks...9d7745c8a9743f557c9e6baaea5e43ad--pretty

It compliments my style, too. but I need a different headband

• Like 2

And one more cool thing that I forgot to mention: A couple of days ago, I had to see the school nurse for an ankle injury that I still have no idea how it happened, and she actually was the first person besides myself who consistently called me by my preferred name. Yaaay! 

• Like 5

My sister was on tinder and took screenshots because there was someone she said looked exactly like me. It's a boy :). And we do look like each other. And then I got called sir at a restaurant :D. If only I could tell people at home and change my name, then I'd be happier.

• Like 8

I'm getting a lot of comments on my facial hair as of late. I suppose it's pretty visible now. :) 

Granted, it's thickest in the neckbeard, but it's slowly creeping up to my cheeks, and the spread/length of my vellus hairs is foreshadowing a pretty nice beard. I only have one weird bald patch, but it's slowly filling in too, and everywhere else seems to be coming in quite evenly. The mustache is taking forever, but I can't say I mind that. My friend calls my look the "Aang beard," (From Legend of Korra,) but I've also heard people call it the "Abe Lincoln" and the "Amish beard" :P 

• Like 6
butterflydreams

@Mezzo Forte, it can take quite a while for facial hair to really fill out, even for cis guys. My brother has a great beard now, but it took a while. He’s 25 now.

If all goes well, I have a date tonight...with a straight, cis guy. It’ll be my first if it actually happens.

• Like 8
1 minute ago, butterflydreams said:

@Mezzo Forte, it can take quite a while for facial hair to really fill out, even for cis guys. My brother has a great beard now, but it took a while. He’s 25 now.

If all goes well, I have a date tonight...with a straight, cis guy. It’ll be my first if it actually happens.

Honestly, after hearing commentary from transguys who didn't get viable facial hair until 4-8 years into HRT (if at all), I feel a lot more thankful for what I have now. Guess I'm actually moving kind of fast in the grand scheme of things. I wish it looked professional enough for me to keep while teaching; I'm going to miss my scruff when I shave it off in January.

Congrats on landing a date! I hope everything goes well and that you have a good time :) 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, butterflydreams said:

Wishing you all the best!

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, butterflydreams said:

Good luck! Have fun!

We will hunt him down if he makes a mistake. :)

• Like 4
36 minutes ago, butterflydreams said:

Good luck :) I am sure it will go alright. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, butterflydreams said:

Congrats and good luck!

I'm not binding this week and I think I might have been misgendered a few minutes ago but honestly, the few times that that happens it's always that I think it might have happened. The last time I was sure I was misgendered by a stranger who doesn't have personal info about me to know I'm afab was literally over a year ago. So this time I'm just gonna choose to believe I was being paranoid.

Something I am sure of on the other hand is that random people gender me correctly all the time. Like the last few days I have been out shopping and on two occassions someone asked my opinion on some men's clothes they were getting for their son or grandson like if I liked it or what size I was because they were or a similar build. Little stuff like that still always makes my day.

And my mom also seems to be trying to be better.. she even actually said my name today, and seems to be acknowledging me more as a trans guy even if personally she can't see me as male. I don't quite understand how it works or what she thinks of me but at least there's been progress in how she talks to me, and she at least never contradicts anyone when they refer to me as male.

• Like 3
butterflydreams

Thanks for all the well wishes, friends. Sadly it didn’t work out. I don’t know what I did, but something. Or he decided he could size me up after a super brief walk in the dark. I would’ve liked to get to know him better going out a second time. 

So I don’t feel so great this morning. If I could just stay home from work and cry, I would. If there’s a next time, with someone else, I’m going to insist on a real date. Coffee or drinks in a real, well lit place.

23 hours ago, Mezzo Forte said:

I'm getting a lot of comments on my facial hair as of late. I suppose it's pretty visible now. :) 

Granted, it's thickest in the neckbeard, but it's slowly creeping up to my cheeks, and the spread/length of my vellus hairs is foreshadowing a pretty nice beard. I only have one weird bald patch, but it's slowly filling in too, and everywhere else seems to be coming in quite evenly. The mustache is taking forever, but I can't say I mind that. My friend calls my look the "Aang beard," (From Legend of Korra,) but I've also heard people call it the "Abe Lincoln" and the "Amish beard" :P 

:lol: Men and facial hair XD Now i'm really curious how you look like with the facial hair :P

6 hours ago, butterflydreams said:

Thanks for all the well wishes, friends. Sadly it didn’t work out. I don’t know what I did, but something. Or he decided he could size me up after a super brief walk in the dark. I would’ve liked to get to know him better going out a second time. 

So I don’t feel so great this morning. If I could just stay home from work and cry, I would. If there’s a next time, with someone else, I’m going to insist on a real date. Coffee or drinks in a real, well lit place.

Sorry to hear all that. :( Sounds rather odd that someone would opt for a walk in the dark as a first date. As much as I like low-stimulation from time to time, it's pretty obvious that's not an idea way to develop a first impression of someone. You have my hugs.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Santa's Little Elf said:

:lol: Men and facial hair XD Now i'm really curious how you look like with the facial hair :P

I always had a way of living vicariously through my friends' beards, and I drove my straight women friends nuts because I'd keep egging on their SO's to keep growing out their facial hair. :lol: I originally just wanted chin scruff, but I'm digging the idea of a full beard more and more as I go. My goal is to eventually wear viking braids. :P

I suppose it's been a while since I posted photos on here, considering that the last time was right at my one year mark, so I suppose I can share something. :ph34r:

Just took these this morning. I've still got a long way to go, but considering where I was this time last year, I seem to be moving at a decent pace!

Spoiler

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

That's more whiskers than I grew in my later days in high school; and more sideburns than I grow even now.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, daveb said:

That's more whiskers than I grew in my later days in high school; and more sideburns than I grow even now.

I'm flattered. :lol: I actually had a beard race with a friend of mine who started HRT a few months after me, where we did No Shave November and compared results at the end. He has absurd sideburns, but he actually feels that I won the race because of all my neck scruff. I'm hoping that we'll have a round 2 next year as well.

Part of me almost wants to keep the beard even when I start teaching, but I'm afraid it won't look professional enough, or that it would actually make me seem even younger than if I were clean-shaven. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it though.

• Like 3
butterflydreams
24 minutes ago, Mezzo Forte said:

Sorry to hear all that. :( Sounds rather odd that someone would opt for a walk in the dark as a first date. As much as I like low-stimulation from time to time, it's pretty obvious that's not an idea way to develop a first impression of someone. You have my hugs.

I didn’t like it. The whole thing felt rushed and overly businessy if I’m honest. My friend asked me if I wanted to see him again, and mostly my answer was yes, just so I could get to know him better. There might’ve been something there, but I can’t really size someone up in less than the time it takes for a pizza delivery in the dark.

So back to the drawing board, and feeling like no one could possibly want a trans woman like me. At least it’s a familiar feeling.

• Like 1

Sorry about your experience. Dating sucks in general, but must be much more frustrating for transgendered people. Now this is a "positive" thread, so I want to say that on the positive side you are doing well at putting yourself out there, trying things, and giving it a chance. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, butterflydreams said:

I didn’t like it. The whole thing felt rushed and overly businessy if I’m honest. My friend asked me if I wanted to see him again, and mostly my answer was yes, just so I could get to know him better. There might’ve been something there, but I can’t really size someone up in less than the time it takes for a pizza delivery in the dark.

So back to the drawing board, and feeling like no one could possibly want a trans woman like me. At least it’s a familiar feeling.

Why should it matter to the that you're trans? You are a great person, to me that is a huge part, if not all, of what matters. But... relationships aren't everything. Enjoy life, enjoy cake, et cetera. (enjoyable things are so everywhere, or, as I'm not sure who puts it: 

The world is full of a number of things

I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings (and queens and other royal peoples, of course))

butterflydreams
Just now, Tortuga said:

Why should it matter to the that you're trans? You are a great person

It matters a ton. People like sex, and my genitals are messed up. As is my voice, and a number of other things about me. Being a great person means fuck all. Because who cares if you’re a great person? I’ve even had people tell me they were attracted to me, and then bail without even getting to know me once they find out I’m trans. 

On the plus side, fuck anyone, no matter how nice they are, asking me about hormones or my surgical status. I’m not answering those questions anymore. The answer is I’m a woman. I’m female. Take it or leave it.

• Like 3

*sighs* What is wrong with society??? but this is a positive thread- let's be positive. 

• Like 3