Can I still call myself asexual?

3 hours ago, Star Bit said:

so if they desire sex with the same and opposing gender but don't identify with the latter it'd be more sensical to go by Gray-heterosexual at most, if they want to address it, which is unneeded.

They could, I suppose, but you know, there's literally anyway they could go about it. It really isn't any of our bussiness, but to each their own I suppose.

3 hours ago, Star Bit said:

By the later context I assume "who even makes a comment like that" isn't aimed at me but the (cross-oriented) actively bi people identifying as straight/gay? If so, yes, unfortunately it's an increasing thing and is getting more talk in the LGBT. There are a few vids about it on YouTube and several articles.

I am still confused by this. I mean, yes, I get what you're saying, but maybe it's just people who don't want to call themselves anything but heterosexual, and would do anything to call themselves that? IDK, honestly.

To your last quote, nope, it's being done by both 'straight' and 'gay' ppl.

23 hours ago, Sally said:

But  you're replying to a comment that was talking about liking sex to the point of  seeking it out.  Someone who does that is not asexual.  

Well, I meant it in my own context, regardless of whatever who I was replying to meant. :)

WOW THIS BLEW UP SO MUCH OVERNIGHT 

SDFGHJK

chair jockey

Just a word of friendly advice.

Don't make a post on AVEN asking if it's okay to call yourself something.

The rules are that no one can deny you the right to identify as you see fit UNLESS you give them that right with your question.

And doing that really unlocks the rabies kennel on here.

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2017 at 9:12 PM, Star Bit said:

Is the problem not explicit when the definition is, now to some, "heterosexual: can desire sex with men and women"?

Okay, do you know what? I know this is an old discussion, so apologies if you were glad to finally get rid of me (lol), but I was thinking of this, and I have realized something.

It is not up to me, nor you, nor anyone else to decide that someone's identity is wrong, bad, or fake. Sure, them calling themselves straight when they could be bi is weird, true, but I don't think it's right to demean them and the situation when they themselves have found an identity that they personally believe fits them to a T, and feel comfortable and happy.

Sure, it may seem odd, but that is there business. We have no right to change that.

No, the entire point of a word is to have a meaning. The very moment you go "define it how ever you want" it becomes meaningless. That's like saying it's ok for feminazis to identify as feminists. NO. Thinking one gender is superior is NOT feminism, just like desiring sex is NOT asexuality.

40 minutes ago, Star Bit said:

No, the entire point of a word is to have a meaning. The very moment you go "define it how ever you want" it becomes meaningless. That's like saying it's ok for feminazis to identify as feminists. NO. Thinking one gender is superior is NOT feminism, just like desiring sex is NOT asexuality.

Well, I find it odd to compare sexuality to opinions on gender (like feminism).

You are comparing something (honestly speaking) wrong (feminazi) to something not so wrong (being what could be said to be bi but identifying as straight. 

As for it no longer having meaning, I get your point there. However, their own way of identification has caused no harm to anyone, unlike, say, feminism

Saying you are straight when, really, you are bi doesn't really give straight people a "bad name", if you get what I mean.

No, the two are equally wrong because they are identifying as something they aren't. Yes it does "give straight people a bad name".

Of course you can call yourself ace. Whatever end of the spectrum your on its all good. An ace is an ace

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Star Bit said:

No, the two are equally wrong because they are identifying as something they aren't. Yes it does "give straight people a bad name".

Well, no it's not. Sure, them identifying as something they're not may seem wrong but it's not bad. They aren't hurting anyone. We should let them do as they please, y'know?

And, no, it doesn't. Femanazis have given feminists a bad name by doing a bunch of stupid things and claiming they are feminists - demeaning men, claiming men being raped don't exist, etc.

People identifying as straight when they could be bi isn't doing any harm. They aren't doing bad things under the name of "heterosexual". 

Not literal bad things such as rape, but it is bad. You apperently don't know all the BS these actual bi people have created. They aren't a rarity either (a minority, yes) and the gay community isn't ignoring them. It's tearing the concept of orientation apart. It's not like something as harmless as identifying as a duck.

2 hours ago, Star Bit said:

You apperently don't know all the BS these actual bi people have created.

It would be helpful to know more about this. Source?

I found articles and YouTube vids on it before, but searching it again recently I must be searching the wrong wording.