Would you be willing to defend your country?

ThaHoward

Would you?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Would you?

• Yes.
    • No.

This poll is closed to new votes

girltwink666

i have 0 alliegance to the united states and i was counting on using being trans as an excuse if they bring back the draft but liberals had to ruin this too so now i gotta rely on my bad eyesight

My country refuses to defend my basic human rights as a citizen, so I feel no obligation to defend it were something bad to happen. I will defend my family, my friends, and my community members. I will not participate in the military complex, especially since most of it's actions in the past have been unjustified attempts to flex political muscle and have done more harm than good in the long run. War is stupid and destructive.

Diamond Ace of Hearts

If they offered me a job I felt able to do, I would join up to help the war effort, even to do actual violence, if necessary, but I would have to feel like the people I was fighting were the "bad guys" so obviously I'd be no good as a foot soldier, fighting against other poor schmucks who I'd probably have a beer with if I met them under better circumstances. The soldiers on the other side are just doing their jobs, same as your own. They don't really want to attack/invade/kill you. But give me a gun and point me at the dudes in charge and sure, I'll fight to defend my country.

I hate my government and I hate the people who live here, but I love my country. So if that time comes put a rifle in my hands and point me towards the front

I'd defend my nation but not my state. I wouldn't join a military run by my government, but I would keep a shotgun in my house. If i were to "defend my country" it would have to be against government tyranny or against a "Red Dawn"-style invasion.

So essentially I'm just a libertarian with a gun.

probably not, can't say 100% for sure though, because I've never had to make a decision of that extent... 

I guess I probably wouldn't mind helping in the background (as in not the fighting part or in anyway that would put my life at significant risk), but I doubt I'd be helping because I want to help my country and would more so be helping to help the actual people... nothing against my country, quite like it, at least the one I currently live in.., but I've never really rooted myself anywhere, so I don't really feel very attached to any nation or place, so, I don't think I'd find it hard to just leave if things got bad, so, yeah, probably not... 

Though I guess if I left and didn't help in such a crisis situation, where I'd have to actually answer that kind of question (if it came to such a crisis, my country would probably be pretty dead anyways..), I might feel a bit guilty, because I left it to rot and be destroyed, despite that it's never been bad to me and has housed me and stuff, so, I'd feel guilty, still would probably flee instead of stay and defend it... 

Spoiler

hope I don't sound like a terrible person now :P ...

Short answer: Nope, but I might defend my ideals through means which would only hurt those responsible

I would be willing to do it in VERY specific instances where VERY certain conditions existed.

If genicide was happening against any people in my country, strap me in I'm fighting. I'm hating every minute of it and finding no glory, but I'd hate myself more if I didn't stand up.

BUT if someone called tomorrow to ask me to fight I'd hang up faster than if they were a telemarketer.

12 hours ago, Josie P said:

I would be willing to do it in VERY specific instances where VERY certain conditions existed.

If genocide was happening against any people in my country, strap me in I'm fighting. I'm hating every minute of it and finding no glory, but I'd hate myself more if I didn't stand up.

This is so for me as well. If there was an actual existential threat to the U.S. (or a community within it) - not one of our wars of geopolitical dominance - I would step up to the plate without hesitation, thinking of my friends and family. I'd be too old to be on the front lines, but there would be plenty of support work I could help out with.

I am rather shocked at how this poll turned out. I assume it is under the context of your country being invaded. Surely, no one would actually just sit around and do nothing if people were killing your fellow countrymen. I mean, your country is your home. Your country contains your culture, your ideals and your future. I do not understand why you would not want to defend it. 

I guess this is the luxury of the first world, where war is never fought on home soil, that you can even think such things. 

Well I have seen that it seem they think country=institution. But they say they would protect home, family and so on. But if you defend your country that is what you do. Prevent the country from falling under occupation, hometown from being bombed, give medical aid and ensure that people are evacuated. The country as a whole is much more than a government, its the people living in it too. 

But in all honesty, I am not surprised of the answers. It was made partially to see the differences between the userbase here and the answers of the polls.

1 hour ago, Livyatan said:

I am rather shocked at how this poll turned out. I assume it is under the context of your country being invaded. Surely, no one would actually just sit around and do nothing if people were killing your fellow countrymen. I mean, your country is your home. Your country contains your culture, your ideals and your future. I do not understand why you would not want to defend it. 

I guess this is the luxury of the first world, where war is never fought on home soil, that you can even think such things. 

Yes, that's true. The U.S. has not been under threat of an actual invasion since World War 2, and there are very few people left who personally experienced it. The wars that we've been involved with since have been fought with the idea of maintaining our geopolitical position against perceived external threats. Some argue that we have to do this, or some day we will have armies on our doorstep. The problem with this thinking is it blurs the line between defense and dominance, and puts the morality of these later wars in question (Vietnam, Iraq, etc). It also requires a huge standing military to maintain the status quo (including nuclear weapons), which consumes resources that many people think would be better spent elsewhere. It's a controversy that's been going on for decades.

I

Defend the USA? A capitalist hellhole that is ruled by corporations? Pfft, no.

I'd defend my people though, you can take that however you wish.

21 hours ago, Livyatan said:

That seems like an incredibly generalised responce... For a start, you have no idea if anyone who has answered this count their country as their home.

Who said that everyone agrees with their countries culture and ideals?

Why would I want to fight for a country that is the size of one USA state, but has 20% of the entire worlds populations CCTV, no idea what the word privacy means and is fighting to kick out other people from here because they weren't born here. Is this not their home too?

And I wouldn't see the politicians and the royals, the top business people and the rich fighting if a war broke out. No. It'd be the plebeians who get screwed over by our countries law every day who would be protecting the one percent.

If politicians aren't able to be intelligent enough to avoid a war, then I'm not going to subject myself to murdering/assist the killing of hundreds, if not thousands, if not millions of people who also don't want to be fighting. Jeez.  

Would I be a foot soldier?  Hell no.

Would I consider help defend my country through other means (ei: developing technology, analyse intelligence, supply food/clothing/misc other supplies, help others evacuate)?  Yes, but only if I were defending my country from the attack of another or defending an issue I feel passionate about (human rights); I would not help "defend" my country from a "threat"/support Mr. President's pure idiocy.

Nope. My country deserves everything it gets 

1 minute ago, Skycaptain said:

Nope. My country deserves everything it gets 

I'd be more willing to defend England than I would the US.  

Luftschlosseule

The US has this image of being the country that invades one part of the world and then moves on to the next, so the responses in this thread are really wonderful. <3

Personally? Mental and physical issues. I already have PTSD, thank you very much. I'd help with putting up sandsacks in case of a flooding, but I doubt that I would be more use.
But my impulse control is... some days it's perfect, but some days there's one thing that slips through. I am always thinking that if I'd get into a weapon-involving situation I'd be the person doing the dumb stuff without even meaning to.

• 2 months later...

Damn right I would...But NOOOOOO people with depression who takes meds cant join the army. Made a perfect score on their ASVAD test still noo. :| I mean, I understand why but Id like to think some psychos can hold their own in tough situations.

Comrade F&F

to be honest, I almost joined the military. I backed out at the last minute.

Would I defend my state from incoming invaders? Oh, absolutely. Defend my friends, family, heritage, and the democratic principles that forged my freedom? Heck, yes.

But I learned that don't need to join the military to do that. There are other, more effective ways to defend my homeland.

• 5 weeks later...
darkstreamers252
On 3/1/2017 at 9:40 AM, AshenPhoenix said:

I'm american so the definition of "defend your country" has usually meant "invade another country that in context has relatively low impact on your country". So... No.

That being said, if I were actually defending the soil I stand on, maybe. It would depend on the context, our current military force, etc. If another power decided to invade, or was threatening to, maybe. Depending on context, our military strength at the time, etc.but seeing as how I don't think we've had a problem with military volunteering since before 9/11, I don't see it happening.

Tl;dr: probably not, unless it was to a point where most people would be throwing in arms to defend their actual homes anyway.

I think the exact same thing.

If a person gave me a "Good" reason  then yes without question 

but to get me to defend anyone that "Good" reason would have to get on my bad side 

so it would have to be something like someone hurting people i hold close for reasons that are not valid. 

I highly doubt that'll happen. 

But another good reason for me would be "Cival war" but that war would have to be interfering with peoples safety 

to the point i found it beyond just a everyday issue. and i wouldn't be doing it for my country which is the USA

i'd be doing it for the people. 

To Each Their Own

I spent five years in the Marine Corps. I even served during the first Iraq war. I am planning on marching with the military contingent in the Pride parade next month because there are supposed to be over 250,000 spectators and I think it's important for people to see a huge queer military contingent leading that pride parade right through the mouth of the city!

Gay people and trans people can openly serve in the military (although trans people do have to navigate delicately), and they can even march in the Pride parade. San Diego was the first city that had active duty military join in the military contingent. 

Why do we do it? For the freedom of speech...even if my co-workers (who never served) want to use that freedom to gossip about me behind my back. For the freedom to love whomever you chose to love...even if I am an aromantic asexual. For the freedom of expression...even though others are free to not accept that expression. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Although my parents fought in the second world war, I wonder why they bothered! The way things have turned out, I'd never defend this place, it stands for all the things I don't.

cavalier080854

I have done for 11 years with the British Army from 1970-1981. And protected Belize from Guatamala, Cyprus from Turkey, NATO from Warsaw Pact, Hong Kong from China and Protestants from Catholics in the Sectarian divide in Northern Ireland. I have no regrets and had a great time with wonderful friends and go on reunions meetings with old colleagues. Happy days.:D

The idea of people all over the country banding together and risking their lives to fight against a common sounds nice in theory. But at the end of the day I only have one life and I'm terrified of it ending so if I'm going to risk death it would have to be for something I considered more important than my continued existence, like close friends and family members.

drjohnhwatson

I'm a pacifist by nature, and I figure that if something happened to where we got attacked, we probably deserved it.  American here, y'all.

Archived