Would you be willing to defend your country?

ThaHoward

Would you?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Would you?

• Yes.
    • No.

This poll is closed to new votes

As Gallup International asked Europeans countries: would you be willing to defend your country in a war?

ChillaKilla

No. If I went into the military I would be in reserves or a "civilian" role (medical/technological)

AshenPhoenix

I'm american so the definition of "defend your country" has usually meant "invade another country that in context has relatively low impact on your country". So... No.

That being said, if I were actually defending the soil I stand on, maybe. It would depend on the context, our current military force, etc. If another power decided to invade, or was threatening to, maybe. Depending on context, our military strength at the time, etc.but seeing as how I don't think we've had a problem with military volunteering since before 9/11, I don't see it happening.

Tl;dr: probably not, unless it was to a point where most people would be throwing in arms to defend their actual homes anyway.

Context matters. If there's a legitimate chance that the conflict may be lost and my own country invaded, then perhaps (even then I realistically wouldn't be in any combat role), but if it's just invading some country in dirt-nowhere for questionable purposes, then I'm not into it at all. 

The idea that a citizen has any obligation to their country, especially an obligation in which the citizen may lose their life, is ridiculous. Even more so in countries like America, where our claim-to-fame is that citizens have freedom and an ability to criticize government (including military).

My home country doesn't exist anymore, so there's that. Other than that, I'm pretty shitty at fighting and there's a significant chance that things end up better if I don't get involved.

I'd probably defend my hometown, but the country...

The question literally say "defend". So it’s a matter of a country invading yours, not being in i.e Yemen.

NerotheReaper

Due to medical conditions I couldn't be in the military. 

Prufrock, but like, worse

My country has done nothing but shit on people, and reward humans who are not people.

Given the choice between maybe dying and helping them vs. definitely dying and wasting all the resources they put into my existence, I'd shoot myself in the mouth.

I don't legally qualify to be in the military in America due to my diagnoses (both physical and mental), as well as the monthly meds I take. If in some alternative universe, I was 'forced' into it, I'd take medical role because I would much rather save a life than gun someone down, over something as trivial as disagreements in politics (because that's what a lot of wars boil down to). 

1 hour ago, ThaHoward said:

As Gallup International asked Europeans countries: would you be willing to defend your country in a war?

I would if the Military would let me join. I have to wait 6 months to try again. 

Grumpy Alien

Nah!

I don't see any remotely realistic scenario where they would need me to defend my country in a war.

SorryNotSorry

It depends.

If you infer would I willingly defend runaway capitalism, then no.

AsexualMemeTrash

nah. 

I hate my country. And here, adult males are forced to sign up for the draft, which is honestly the dumbest fucking thing ever. If someone doesn't want to be in the military then they shouldn't have to. 

There's also this debate about females having to sign up for the draft jfc 

Fortunately I have autism so I don't qualify.

Anthracite_Impreza

No, sod that.

Simple answer:

No.

Elaborated answer:

I consider war to be kindergarten kids (politicians) arguing over playgrounds (countries/land) with toy soldiers (who just happen to be human beings). It's an abstract and absurd idea. The kindergarten kids can beat themselves up if they want to deal with conflicts with violence, truly desire to start a war or invade a country. Usually, they're the ones who feel the least of it until it's over or unless they happen to be a dicatator who lost and meets a quick end by the hands of the population. I won't contribute to such immature madness and I don't intend to kill strangers by orders of some stranger either and risk my life for "my country"*. Besides that, I'm likely not fit for it (in terms of health and mental strength) and I don't feel the need to get even more traumatized in such a situation by directly taking part on the battlefield.

*elaborating on this would take even more space in this post, so I'll leave it at that. And quite honestly, by the time I would be forced by others to participate in it, I'd likely have lost all my possessions and maybe more, so I wouldn't see a point in it at all. Absolutely pointless.

Probably not. If my country was invaded ideally I would either flee to a different country or move to the middle of nowhere and mind my own business. 

SorryNotSorry

Heh... on Quora a couple of weeks ago, someone asked a question of how long it would take for the US to surrender if all the other nations declared war on us.

Some guy answered the US would fall within 24 hours without anyone firing a shot if all the other countries enacted a general trade embargo against the US. He's a professional economist, so he presumably knows what he's talking about.

Elegant concept, I like that.

considering my ability to hurt myself and accident proneness as exhibited by my grumps club posting, i think my best way of serving my country in a war is to not take part in it. i'd probably accidentally take out several of our own units if i was enlisted so best me to keep away from being enlisted.

4 hours ago, ThaHoward said:

The question literally say "defend". So it’s a matter of a country invading yours, not being in i.e Yemen.

You should make that plain.   Our American Defense Department really means War Department; we don't get attacked on our own land (except for Pearl Harbor) so we're not used to the idea of defense.  

I'm quoting Gallup International, have issues take it up with them. As I said, it only say defense, what you put into it is up to you. If you think it mean attack, then base your answer upon that even if it don't mean that. 

2 hours ago, AsexualMemeTrash said:

nah. 

I hate my country. And here, adult males are forced to sign up for the draft, which is honestly the dumbest fucking thing ever. If someone doesn't want to be in the military then they shouldn't have to. 

There's also this debate about females having to sign up for the draft jfc 

Fortunately I have autism so I don't qualify.

But you aren't forced to actually serve or go into wars, like i.e Finland or Russia (interisting enough the former 74% (iirc) said yes and the latter 59% said yes). Even then, defending your country will also mean in the big picture, defending values, friends, family, hometown and so on. For an instance the chance of civillians getting raped as part of psychological warfare is limited if they get evacuated due to the frontline holding out for one more day. Food for thought. 

For health reasons I wouldn't be able to defend Finland, but I'd do my part, sure. Sadly nowadays with the technology we have, next to the technology and manpower and funds, etc. that Russia has (which would probably be who we'd fighting against, not to sound russophobic) it wouldn't really even matter.

I haven't looked into the requirements, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be qualified for any combat type roles.  Perhaps if there was dire need I could consider non-combat roles in the military, but it would have to be a pretty extreme situation for me to consider it.  While I respect the work military personnel do and the sacrifices they make, it's not really for me.

TheCatBehind

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. I live in Poland and I jut don't feel like part of this country too much, possibly because whenever I'm in Italy to visit my dad's side of the family I feel a lot more welcome, not only by the grands' but by the general community, it seems more... happy. And accepting.

So I could bs that I'm Italian and fuck off to Italy lol

J. van Deijck
17 minutes ago, Maks9090 said:

I live in Poland and I jut don't feel like part of this country too much,

same, haha.

*expands his answer* I have always wanted to be a soldier, even though I can't... but not in this country, it doesn't deserve it.

Archived