Article: "What You Should Know About Asexuality"

deltaX

The Huffington Post released an article written by an asexual author titled "What You Should Know About Asexuality".  It addresses a lot of the common misconceptions and questions that asexual people typically get when coming out.

Link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/what-you-should-know-about-asexuality_us_58a74913e4b045cd34c16898

I get that it's meant to be humorous (I hope) but such a strongly dismissive tone made me not want to read through it, I can't imagine anyone who is sexual would enjoy being spoken to like that... Maybe I just took it wrong, but a title like that indicates the target audience is people who are looking into it and answers like "I just know" don't help anyone.

Yeah it talks down to sexuals quite a lot.  Not only do they write the questions as if the person were an ignorant valley girl "Well how can they like you if you aren't, like, attracted to them sexually?" but their answers are really condescending.  This is not a good article to read if you're legitimately curious and an asshole.

And they're also quite often wrong.  "Thought the A in LGBTQIA* stood for allies and advocates?  Think again, it's for Asexual, Agender, and Aromantic."  There are 2 As in the full acronym and they're often changed depending on the point a person is trying to make.  Most agree at least one is for allies, but others would deny this who disagree allies should be included in the acronym at all.

I don't want to go on, as I very nearly started doing.  This is a bad article full of confusing answers, condescension, and bad research.  I hope the next article I find on asexuality is a better representation of our community.

Sorry, way too snarky for me.The crappy attitude turned me off. I doubt many hetero-/homosexuals would finish, let alone absorb the points made, in this article.

It is a very badly written piece and fails to get the point across without being condescending or grammatically correct. Definitely not an article I would point someone to, other than as an example of how not to write such an article.

And there I thought I'd get burned at the stake for saying what a bunch of crap this article is. 

OK I get humor, but this is just... no. Glad that I'm lazy and got pointed to AVEN before doing any research, cause I would've hated you guys. Sad thing is, if anyone does better at the whole awareness thing, last time i checked it's buried under this sort of stuff. 

"My genitals just don’t experience an otherworldly pull towards theirs."

Yeah I get it... your love is deep and pure and above those urges that reign over the rest of the world. I mean that is what asexual means. Right? ...right?

WinterWanderer

I showed this to my sexual friend and we laughed over it. It has very little real value, unless you read it in the dramatic voice of a snarky hipster. :P

It's certainly not something I'd want non-ace people to see if they're unfamiliar with asexuality. Too heated.

Archived