Accidental Ace/ Aro Pop Song?

WaffleGrace

Hey everyone,

I just saw this Buzzfeed video about a guy who tried to write a pop song in a week. After banging his head against the keyboard for half of the time he decided to write a song about being tired of the way pop songs portray love to society. And he ended up with a song that, to me, sounded kind of ace/ aro (https://youtu.be/sB5sEsFEIb8 ). It's not a masterpiece, but I was wondering:

1) Does this song resonate with anyone else? Because of ace/aro reasons? Because they really are that tired of the way pop culture portrays love? Why?

2) Does anyone know of any successful pop songs (songs that were disigned/ produced/ marketed for mass consumption) that cover AVEN-like topics? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Also, not quite sure this is the right place for this thread...

I don't really feel tired of love songs or that type of stuff, I don't really care I guess. I like romantic stuff, but I don't listen to music thinking how romantic it is or anything. I can be a little bothered if it's overly sexual or like disrespectful towards women.

I don't think there're any big songs that would have openly been marketed to ace/aro audience, but like the people who helped Sosa make the lyrics for this song, there're non-aces non-aros that are tired of love songs or find some things annoying about them. It's kinda formed its own genre of songs to hate love or these cliches or whatever. I guess breaking up with someone and getting over it can make you listen to songs like that too.

Lots of autotune and saying the same few words over and over is not my cup of tea :P I like love songs, and breakup songs and everything in between. As long as it's a well thought out piece of music, then it doesn't matter to me what the subject is.

But here, this song circulated AVEN a while back and I love it... https://youtu.be/aByJG8GOR5E

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

OOH! That's my kind of music @Sennkestra! I liked the other one too, but a bit of doo wop always gets me! 

Frankie Lymon and the teenagers with 'why do fools fall in love' was my favourite (even though it turned into a romantic tune at the end) when I was a teen myself...

• 3 months later...
everywhere and nowhere

I'm not that much into pop music, but there's a poem which always resonates with my feelings about asexual (self-)visibility. "Więzień miłości" ("Prisoner of Love") by the Polish poet Józef Czechowicz (probably my very favorite poet). Short bio note about the author:

Czechowicz was born in 1903 and died in 1939, killed at the beginning of World War II during a bombardment. He published several short volumes of original poems and also translated Russian, Ukrainian, Czech, English and French poetry. His poetry was very melodic and also quite avantgarde for that time - most of his poems were written entirely in lower case and without punctuation. He's very remembered for the catastrophic feeling often present in his poetry and the very fact that it seemed to come true - the poem "żal" ("grief") is considered almost a foreboding of his own death. He was also gay and clearly seemed to evolve from hiding his real romantic interests behind female names to printing an openly homoerotic poem which probably cost him his teaching job.

I'm a translator myself, but won't risk trying to translate the poem - translating poetry is a very difficult job and I realize the high standards that should be involved (a great book, but it's in Polish too: "Saved in translation: essays on translating poetry" by Stanisław Barańczak). I have no idea if this poem has ever been translated into English. It's not about asexuality and also not about social visibility, rather about feeling out of place in narratives about love, trying to break through kitschy stereotypes towards personal truth. The realization of the poet's own homosexuality and the fact that heterosexual relationships just won't work for him was clearly the underlying feeling. But two lines: "it's not written in any epic / no train carries such books" - always seem to go out of their context for me and say something about asexuality and, more generally, about marginalization of minority experience, of all thoughtfeeling considered less typical.

Now, I personally was lucky to mostly avoid the feeling of being broken. Long before I knew about asexuality and started identifying as such, I gradually experienced something I call "the Revelation of Rebellion": a deep feeling that I just don't have to conform, that I have a right to be different. Still I very strongly care about visibility and cultural presence - again, not only of asexuality, also of many different thoughtfeelings considered weird or impossible. Again and again I recall these two lines... "it's not written in any epic" - some kinds of experience are absent from great narratives and "high" literature, "no train carries such books" - for me it resonates with the idea of "dissident books", from Luther to Lenin and beyond. So certain kinds of experience are not only absent from majority culture, but also have a hard time finding their place in cultural alternatives.

On 2/28/2017 at 10:43 AM, Ricki said:

But here, this song circulated AVEN a while back and I love it... https://youtu.be/aByJG8GOR5E

I can't believe I've never heard this song before...and it came out the year I was born! :lol:

It's not mainstream or anything but this is one of my favorite ace songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCJxKlyrR_s

Archived