detransition and retransition constantly

AVEN #1 fan

I was wondering, can someone stop HRT for a while and get into it again without health concerns?  like, can you do it many times without worrying about your health? I was wondering what happens to MtFs and FtMs who get on and off HRT constantly.

Anyone here, genderfluid or not, already tried it ?

Depends on how long you plan on being off HRT is the key factor.

Especially for something more aggressive like Cypro. You could potentially (please do not take me at my word, consult a healthcare professional, I'm just a 21 year old shitposter with a computing background, I am not an authority to be trusted) get away with it for something less serious like Fina/Spiro/Bica, but IIRC being inconsistent with Cypro is dangerous and can lead to liver damage.

I'm sure there are going to be issues, but I definitely don't know enough to say what... (If someone is considering this, seriously, talk to a professional)

One possible issue with AFAB people is that it's recommended to get a hysterectomy (and removal of ovaries/fallopian tubes) - generally within 5 years of being on T, but if your body needs to be producing either estrogen or testosterone (for bone density, I believe?).

So if you're taking T on and off, and you've had a hysterectomy, then you'd need be on E whilst you're not on T. ...I think.

But considering how some of the effects of hormones can be permanent, and how long it takes for other changes to happen... I really can't imagine why someone would want to go through this.

Anthracite_Impreza

Messing about with your hormones like this would knacker you up in some way, it wouldn't be a good idea.

2 hours ago, Very Gay said:

I'm sure there are going to be issues, but I definitely don't know enough to say what... (If someone is considering this, seriously, talk to a professional)

One possible issue with AFAB people is that it's recommended to get a hysterectomy (and removal of ovaries/fallopian tubes) - generally within 5 years of being on T, but if your body needs to be producing either estrogen or testosterone (for bone density, I believe?).

So if you're taking T on and off, and you've had a hysterectomy, then you'd need be on E whilst you're not on T. ...I think.

But considering how some of the effects of hormones can be permanent, and how long it takes for other changes to happen... I really can't imagine why someone would want to go through this.

Yeah, people need either estrogen or androgen in their system. The lack will cause issues like rapidly aging and osteoporosis.

Some people are genderfluid, androgyne, multigender, etc and happen to feel the need to stay masculine or feminine for an considerable amount of time in their lives and happen to pursue HRTs.

Luftschlosseule

It's not only about your body, hormones really mess with your psyche. It's not uncommon for AFABs that take estrogens to develope depressions when they're one the wrong kind of medication which simply doesn't work for them. It's an experiment I would not recommend.

binary suns
On 2/27/2017 at 2:16 AM, AVEN #1 fan said:

I was wondering, can someone stop HRT for a while and get into it again without health concerns?  like, can you do it many times without worrying about your health? I was wondering what happens to MtFs and FtMs who get on and off HRT constantly.

Anyone here, genderfluid or not, already tried it ?

I don't find it appropriate to equate transitioning to hrt. hrt is only one aspect of the - essentially, lifestyle change. lifestyle overhaul.

also hrt is something that people who don't transition use to replace diminished hormones as well. menopause, I think some cancers, sorry I don't know the specifics.... :unsure:

what would happen to a person where they constantly change hormone supplements? I imagine it would not be good for the health of their body and would affect their emotional patterns. I wouldn't recommend it. theoretically the health professional is who to ask, but unfortunately - health professionals tend not to be knowledgeable regarding these types of questions, and I'm not sure if the resourcefulness of the field yet has the infrastructure for them to easily find out for us :(

For what it's worth, stopping HRT doesn't "detransition" your body. Some effects are temporary, but many are permanent. The permanent ones are things like voice changes, small bone structure adjustments (eg estrogen can cause an AMAB body to develop slightly wider hips), and to some extent body hair (particularly on T, but only mostly -- sometimes it can revert back to softer hair, but not go away). Those things are very much permanent and very much "gender indicators" in the sense that they matter for being seen as whatever gender you're aiming for (at least in the binary).

So taking HRT to transition, then stopping, then going back on, is not going to allow you to transition then detransition. Unfortunately, it's just not that simple. If it was... I'd be so on that train! However, differing levels of hormones for differing periods of time can be used to create a more androgynous presentation, when used carefully and in the full supervision of a professional. Flipping hormone treatments often won't be recommended, simply because it's hard on your physical body. Your emotional state will typically fluctuate wildly for the first two to three months on any new dosage (sometimes less, especially if it's only a small change, but it's unpredictable and sucks), and that makes it also hard on your mental health. It's just really hard all around.

So the short story is that I've heard of successful stories of low dosages and/or limited time scales for HRT (think a year only, or only a few years, but then stopping) resulting in more androgynous appearances, but the magical formula is different for everyone and no one really understands how this works. From what I understand, to get the result you're looking for takes constant careful observation by a professional, to "tune" the dosage, and even then nothing is ever guaranteed with hormones.

nerdperson777

Don't know that much since I have not taken hormones yet, but in a trans chatroom, I heard a girl say that she lost hormones for some time and got back on.  It sounded harder to go back on.  She said that her T levels ended up really high when she got on hormones again.  Her levels were even on the high end of a cis male.  Then on Neutrois Nonsense, I recall a mentioning of going on and off T.  There probably is an article on it.

AVEN #1 fan
20 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

Don't know that much since I have not taken hormones yet, but in a trans chatroom, I heard a girl say that she lost hormones for some time and got back on.  It sounded harder to go back on.  She said that her T levels ended up really high when she got on hormones again.  Her levels were even on the high end of a cis male.  Then on Neutrois Nonsense, I recall a mentioning of going on and off T.  There probably is an article on it.

I already read about it in neutrois nonsense. Micah  <3 xD

• 4 weeks later...
AVEN #1 fan
5 minutes ago, rivkael said:

there's a nonbinary person on youtube who did this... let me locate them gimme a minite....

Lane S. They have 2 vids about it

edit: they have a WHOLE PLAYLIST!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4sYGUR-Vgs&list=PLQxDLhoq-oyTTnZ6G4ziXCKNnoLtSQvs0

I guess they look fine.

<No longer active>
2 minutes ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

I guess they look fine.

seriously its not just about looks okay, there are physiological effects on your body too. Please actually watch the vids through

AVEN #1 fan
7 minutes ago, rivkael said:

seriously its not just about looks okay, there are physiological effects on your body too. Please actually watch the vids through

Yeah, but I don't see anyone complaining about liver problems or cancer , but thx for the videos, they were very informative.

SamwiseLovesLife
On 27/02/2017 at 9:24 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Messing about with your hormones like this would knacker you up in some way, it wouldn't be a good idea.

I was thinking about this this morning, that's what I figured- your body can only take so much and still work properly

ChillaKilla
On March 27, 2017 at 11:34 AM, AVEN #1 fan said:

Yeah, but I don't see anyone complaining about liver problems or cancer , but thx for the videos, they were very informative.

Those aren't the only problems hormones can cause, you know. This is dangerous. That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Chilla is right, hormones can cause issues if you use them the wrong way, that's why HRT isn't something you should think lightly off. I have had real bad experience with estrogen causing me ending up in the hospital for treatement. I have had a terrible skin disease and a disease on my legs. It's just an example because that doesn't neccessarily has to happen but it CAN happen.So you either transition or you detransition but you simply can't do both, you would definetly put your life at risk if you would do such a thing, I'd highly reccomend against such an option because the consequences are a fact, not some fairy tale, that's why people who are trans take a long time to consider HRT before they actually go for it because they know all to well it isn't some playstation game you play untill you are bored, it's your life you're playing with, not taking that into account would be plain stupidity.

Please, don't do anything you might regret later.

Anthracite_Impreza

Hormones are the chemical messengers of your body, disrupting them is like disrupting the signal to your telly, only the consequences will be far worse than a bit of static.

AVEN #1 fan
2 hours ago, ChillaKilla said:

Those aren't the only problems hormones can cause, you know. This is dangerous. That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Well staying on androgens will make you very likely to have X problems, while staying on estrogens will cause you Y problems, adding progestogens will add more Z problems.

In some cases thing is about choosing which one you prefer to deal with.

Archived