Lost in Translation, Ace Conference 2017 edition

Chrysocolla Town

Chrysocolla Town

Hi! I would like to know if there has been some discussion about how language and translation is gonna work in the conference this year.

The previous ace conferences were held in english-speaking countries, so it made sense that the talks and panels were all held in english and the only language barrier to be tackled was sign language. Now, though, the conference will happen in Spain, so i don't know if there are already ideas going around about how to make it work, with a (way) higher proportion of non-english speakers while still having people coming from UK and USA.

Will everything be spanish, with english translators? Will everything be in english, with spanish translators? Will there be panels and workshops only in english and others only in spanish? Will there be sign language translators this time, and if yes, in which sign language?

I'm sorry.

That's a very legitimate question. We've been talking about it, but we're not in the detailed planning for it yet. Our first priority has been to find a good location.

What I can say at this point is that we would like to have something in both Spanish and English. The models for that could be either using interpreters or doing Spanish and English groups in parallel. We are probably doing some combination of both.

In the location we have identified as the most likely candidate we would get one big room, so with that in mind it seems logical that we will have more of the joint sessions.

That's what I can say at this point, but I hope we'll get to these things in more detail soon. Input on this topic is always welcome. :):cake:

• 4 weeks later...

A good option is to ask tranlation students in Madrid to do it in exchange for a certificate. It's a way to have experience for your CV.

• 2 months later...

Archived