Has anyone irl ever asked if/noticed you are asexual?

Ace ♠ At ♠ Archery

Only really really close friends.

Coworkers just think I'm gay.

This happened last night and I feel really uncomfortable about it- a friend said that their girlfriend was jealous of all the other women he was friends with except me, cause they figured i was asexual.

I wrote a longer post here about it if you wouldn't mind reading the full story and commenting if you relate or have advice/an opinion.

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2017 at 1:18 PM, QueenOfCake said:

What was the documentary called? I would like to watch it. :o 

Oh my goodness! This is what I get for not logging on regularly! Extremely delayed response time.

The documentary was (A)Sexual. She watched it on Netflix 8)

The topic came up when I had a long conversation with a friend. I ended up mentioning that I was - from what I can tell - asexual. He didn't take it well, like most sexuals. Mostly not understanding how I could not want to pursue such relationships. Nothing's changed between us otherwise though, in the end it really didn't matter that much. 

One of my best friends suggested I might be ace a few years ago when we were talking about our experiences with relationships and sex (with me telling her I never enjoyed sex). But at that time I just shrugged and said "I don't know, maybe" because I didn't have much experience yet and was still questioning.

I don't know if my family is suspecting something, as I do have a boyfriend (and we've already been dating for several years), so I probably look quite "normal" to them. On the other hand, I only ever had this one partner and I never showed interest in discussing sex with my mum or asked for contraceptives, so maybe she suspects that I don't have much of a sex life :D

Strange But Not a Stranger

No.

My mum told me recently that she did notice that I had always been different when it came to dating and things like that, but she never asked anything.

A friend of mine assumed I was way before I knew I was. It was back when I thought I was Bi and was telling him this and he just shrugged, looked at me slightly puzzled and said "Huh. I always just assumed you were Asexual or something" I remember thinking at the time 'Pffffft. he doesn't know me very well'

Oh how wrong I was.

• 1 month later...

My mom asked me if I'm a lesbian. Twice in my life. I was shocked. I had no idea why she could even think so; it was before I discovered that asexuality is a thing. When I carefully told her about it, she told me she thought that this term refers to unattractive people.

Recently one guy asked me why I didn't want to be with his friend's friend (a story that happened some years ago). I told him I don't date anybody. He asked "You date nobody-nobody or just not guys?" When I answered "Nobody-nobody", he told he has an asexual friend and he is totally ok with it. I think it was the only time in my life, when somebody mentioned the term. Anyway, looks like everybody just thinks I'm a lesbian, which confuses me in a funny way... They couldn't be more wrong btw.

Noone in my life is hardly that educated enough to know anything about asexuality or the fact that it even exists. I've had plenty of people assume that I am gay though ...

One of my friends asked me on a school trip in highschool, I was pretty suprised.

He was pretty cool about it and doesn’t really seem to care that I am which is pretty nice.

My sister did. She knows me too well and is very open minded.

If anyone asks if I like girls, I put on my most woke face and say "I don't see gender". 

the duchess starla

yes but they didnt call it that they just called it "not being interested in boys". a few people in my life have noticed including someone i barely knew.

once at a party a guy was talking with me. i said "sorry i dont suck dick" then the guy said "you eat pussy then aye" i say "nah im just me aye" then he asked "so what youre asexual or something?" then i back away from him to find some beer. so yeah once a drunk asshole asked me but not cause of how i look or act. 

WithAnOunceOfDignity

Yes. In fact, they recognized it before I did which is surprising and oddly comforting. 

I was having a conversation with a friend of mine and we were talking about sexuality and he said "oh, I just thought you were asexual." I denied it at the time because I didn't know and was confusing intense aesthetic attraction with sexual attraction.

• 1 month later...
nothinbuttrouble

People below thirty seem to have become very aware of before unknown, unmentioned or otherwise invisible sexualities.

I've had a couple such young people I work with frankly ask me if I'm an asexual. Which I DENY

yes, throw rocks at me

Hermit Advocate
3 hours ago, nothinbuttrouble said:

People below thirty seem to have become very aware of before unknown, unmentioned or otherwise invisible sexualities.

I've had a couple such young people I work with frankly ask me if I'm an asexual. Which I DENY

yes, throw rocks at me

Boo! *throws rock* 

That's okay though, you don't have to tell anyone if you don't want to. 

Ive actually had this happen a few times. Just after i sort of figured out i was ace/aro i told my friend ive never had a crush on anyone and she straight up asked me "maybe youre aromantic?" Id hardly figured it out myself but she'd apparently been thinking it for a while.

I also had a friend say "haha maybe your asexual" and i said "I am actually yes thats me hi" and she then proceeded to tell me how i probably just havent found the right person yet.... confusing ik

I ALSO had another friend ask me if im asexual after I basically outed myself when i was like "no i dont like the dick" and he was like "so your gay" and i was like "erm no try again". Basically gave it to him there but at least he knew what it meant...

This friend then proceeded to out me EVERY time the topic of sexuality came up, regardless of who we were around, casually asking "Yeah but your asexual arent you so..." Once i was with a group of mutual but not close friends, and they all turned round and went "WHOS ASEXUAL?!?" and i had to casually just say "me, hi yes i very much dont like anyone"

Archived