Has anyone irl ever asked if/noticed you are asexual?

Ace ♠ At ♠ Archery

Ace ♠ At ♠ Archery

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to my brother and he asked me if I had a boyfriend/girlfriend yet. I told him I didn't and he said something like "You could be asexual." which surprised me because that is the first time anybody has mentioned asexuality irl to me.

No one ever mentioned it to me. It's good someone helped you out.

Yup. My friend a couple of weeks ago said, "I just started assuming you're asexual," and that followed by a "Thank you, God" sigh of relief. 

extra note: He's also gay and super hyper sexual. Not that it means anything, but I always figured people just don't get us, because of the hypersexed world we live in. So, I was so happy when he told me that. The most I ever got from a straight friend was, "I used to think I was asexual, but then I met so-and-so." Meh.

Ace ♠ At ♠ Archery
4 minutes ago, kingcakedonut said:

Yup. My friend a couple of weeks ago said, "I just started assuming you're asexual," and that followed by a "Thank you, God" sigh of relief. 

extra note: He's also gay and super hyper sexual. Not that it means anything, but I always figured people just don't get us, because of the hypersexed world we live in. So, I was so happy when he told me that. The most I ever got from a straight friend was, "I used to think I was asexual, but then I met so-and-so." Meh.

My brother is gay as well so I guess he is more likely to know about it.

NerotheReaper

My extended family used to harass me and ask when I was going to bring a guy over, mind you this was when I was younger. Now no one really asks or cares, probably they think no one could love me. So eh whatever keeps them off my back right?

People notice when I reject people. However most people assume im just "Gay". 

Ace ♠ At ♠ Archery
22 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

People notice when I reject people. However most people assume im just "Gay". 

This has happened to me before. My mum asked me if I was a lesbian when I had clearly told her lots of times I wasn't interested in a relationship right now. Yes, it would be nice to have a boyfriend but im not desperate and I would much rather wait until I find an asexual person who likes me.

I've been asked multiple times. I think people just started to automatically assume it after a while, since I never had any interest in relationships. I was flat-out asked a few times, which was followed by confused online research into the term 'asexual', and someone once told me that saying the best part of Valentine's Day are candy sales was 'a really ace thing to say'. So yeah, I guess I must come off that way to people :P 

Ace ♠ At ♠ Archery
3 minutes ago, PixieCat said:

I've been asked multiple times. I think people just started to automatically assume it after a while, since I never had any interest in relationships. I was flat-out asked a few times, which was followed by confused online research into the term 'asexual', and someone once told me that saying the best part of Valentine's Day are candy sales was 'a really ace thing to say'. So yeah, I guess I must come off that way to people :P 

It's nice that people have asked about it without judging you. :cake:

Most of the time when I have told friends or family they've been like "yeah. no duh. Its pretty obvious." Proving once again that most people know more about me than I do. :) I did have an incident though where one of my ex-boyfriend's friends was asking about how our relationship was going and he ended up figuring out that I was ace.

No. Lesbian is the most common... wait... yeah, it's the only assumption I get.

MY mother once asked if I was gay. She also asked if I was transgender after we watched a movie about a transgender person. I just thought it was a good movie, but back then if you took an interest in such things everybody jumped to the conclusion that it was personal.

1 minute ago, chair jockey said:

MY mother once asked if I was gay. She also asked if I was transgender after we watched a movie about a transgender person. I just thought it was a good movie, but back then if you took an interest in such things everybody jumped to the conclusion that it was personal.

Lol, in high school I said I really liked that Sin City episode about the lesbian cop and everyone got real quiet and uncomfortable. 

Just now, Moophie said:

Lol, in high school I said I really liked that Sin City episode about the lesbian cop and everyone got real quiet and uncomfortable. 

Thanks for understanding, Moophie. Right now I'm feeling like my young years in the 1980s took place before fire was invented and people were forced to eat foods raw.

confusedteacup

The only time was my best friend trying to help me figure out what was wrong with me after I broke up with my boyfriend of a year and a half. She was the one who first brought it to my attention and how I figured it out. But no one else. 

2 minutes ago, chair jockey said:

Thanks for understanding, Moophie. Right now I'm feeling like my young years in the 1980s took place before fire was invented and people were forced to eat foods raw.

Aw, shucks! Anytime. 

I know, right? The bright, dancing flame was a real game-changer.

17 minutes ago, Moophie said:

Aw, shucks! Anytime. 

I know, right? The bright, dancing flame was a real game-changer.

My reply disappeared.

Nobody ever asked me about my orientation until I came out as trans. They never directly asked if I was ace, but the people who knew what that was weren't shocked at all.

My parents knew before I told them.They had just assumed, and really didn't care much  about what my sexuality was anyway. It surprised me, I had expected them not to care much if at all, but having them already know was crazy. 

Yes - and it happened fairly often. Maybe there's some kind of "ace vibe". I'm quite vocal about the way I spend my spare time (mostly travelling) and for some reason the next thing a lot of people think of are "needs". No, sorry, no "need" here :D

Being ace was suggested to me way back in the day, but I wasn't entirely familiar with the concept, so I didn't really think much of it.

nerdperson777

A few years back, I decided to come out to my closest apartmentmate as both ace and trans, but trans came first.  Trans, she said she was fine, wasn't going to treat me bad.  When I inched ace in there, I said it was a term that had another meaning.  She hoped that it wasn't something like cute turtles that ended up being something dirty.  Then she said, "oh, you mean ace as in asexual?"  It turned out that her high school classmate did a Ted talk on it and when we met for the first time during freshman year of college, she thought that I could be ace.  So she knew before I did.  Now we're both aro ace, while still questioning ourselves since I may have experienced sexual attraction once and she may have romantic feelings for her QPP.  Despite being close enough for other people to make fun of us when we aren't hanging out together, I never knew the identity of the QPP.  I was only told that he was ace but probably alloromantic.

One of my best friends asked me if I was once and I said I didn't think so. For some reason it wasn't till a year later that I actually started to consider it and realize that I was.

PurveyorOfBadPuns

My mom (who doesn't believe in asexuality and didn't accept it when I came out) once told me that nobody asked me out because "it doesn't seem like you're interested in anyone."

Nope, never!

Pretty sure my family and some of my friends just assume I'm gay, while I know my gay friends assume I'm straight.

Works for me.

Yup.

My best friend from childhood and my sister guessed.

But long story short, I'm not actually out to them yet nor do I ever plan to be....

No, my family instead have asked me many times if I'm lesbian. I know I'm not, but it really bothers me, I don't know why does it have to be suspicious the fact that I have never been in a relationship.

I've had a few people say "I knew there was something," after I told them. 

Archived