Interruption Drives Me off the Wall.

funfetti

Myer's Briggs says I'm an extrovert, but honestly, that little bar line has some parts in introversion.  Whatever the case, I really, REALLY can't stand it when I'm interrupted and then the individual hijacks the convo with no opening for me to return to what I was saying. Normal interruption, okay.

I had a small squish on someone last night. Nice in the beginning, but then when the conversations started happening I was constantly being interrupted to no end. I'm talking about every singe time I talked.  And did what I said about--hijack, steer the convo, no regressing back to what I was saying. I tried to be patient, but it went on for hours.

He wanted to see me again, and I politely declined. I was honest about it, because I hate it when people aren't honest with me. So what you get is brutally honest kingcakedonut. However, I really tried to be polite it about (in general I do try. People are sensitive. I'm sensitive). he did tell me I was polite, thanked me for pointing it out. Was generally nice about it yesterday evening and this morning by text. But I guess as the day progressed today, he seems to think I was a bit harsh and he thinks (now) he has no problems--even after admitting that he did last night. Changed his excuse to just merely being excited (maybe possible). Maybe nerves?

I hold dialogue to super high esteem. It's honestly something I really cherish in this life. And yes I told him that. I once complained about this kind of interruption to someone and he told me, "no self-respecting person allows that." 

Part of me feels I was way too harsh, other side says screw it. Stick to your values. Other side says, really, the poor guy was maybe just nervous and maybe you just were an A-hole.

Sigh. 

NerotheReaper

As someone who is an introvert being interrupted does really bug me, like sometimes it happens on accident and that happens. I will accidentally interrupt someone, it happens to us all. But if someone hijacks a conversation for hours that isn't cool, you shouldn't have to sit there in silence like that. I have learned to speak up for myself and be like "as I was saying." maybe this can come off as rude to some people. (Oh well though :P) My advice is for you to not be afraid to speak up, or talk to the person about it. I knew some people who would just ramble and ramble if you didn't stop them. They don't do it on purpose, some people are just very talkative and excited that they can't wait for you to finish. 

Not liking being interrupted has nothing to do with being extroverted or introverted.

Cut the guy some slack. It could have been nerves and excitement.

7 minutes ago, MangoBanana said:

Not liking being interrupted has nothing to do with being extroverted or introverted.

Indeed, there may be some correlation. introverts may place a lot of thought before speaking, and thus, really hate when someone does it to them. Some super introverts may even find it insulting, as they think you may be implying that what they say is not important. Or wrong. or whatever.

That's why sometimes when I interrupt and go off on a tangent with someone who is super shy, I try to say, "so sorry there. You were saying..."

Just now, Marrow said:

"Yo, kingcakedonut imma let you finish, but..."

LMAO!!!! I want to say yesterday I saw that pic of Taylor and Kanye, but I don't remember what it was for. Then, I had flashbacks of all those awesome Kanye memes.

18 minutes ago, NerotheReaper said:

As someone who is an introvert being interrupted does really bug me, like sometimes it happens on accident and that happens. I will accidentally interrupt someone, it happens to us all. But if someone hijacks a conversation for hours that isn't cool, you shouldn't have to sit there in silence like that. I have learned to speak up for myself and be like "as I was saying." maybe this can come off as rude to some people. (Oh well though :P) My advice is for you to not be afraid to speak up, or talk to the person about it. I knew some people who would just ramble and ramble if you didn't stop them. They don't do it on purpose, some people are just very talkative and excited that they can't wait for you to finish. 

That's why with people that I really know are introverts (also, if I can brag here, I'm really good at picking up cues with strangers, possibility of disabilities, etc and be mindful of it), and I interrupt, I really do try and apologize for it and then steer it to back what that person was saying before I cut off. So, for God's sake, if *anything* at least you can prevent the person from feeling their input is not worthy. 

The hijacking I brushed off in the beginning. But at hour number two, no more. Time to leave. I did try to do that..."right so, as I was saying." No avail. Also, read some articles that men tend to do that to women more? *shrugs*

I hate it and hate it, even more, when I catch myself doing it. I'm an introvert, I guess, but on the rare occasion, I actually have a real conversation with someone that isn't pointless small talk I sometimes get excited and might interrupt. Although, I stick to the subject and don't steer the conversation to something completely different. I find it insulting. I guess it depends on whether the content of the interruption is important. If it adds to the conversation and helps it flow, then it might not be so bad. 

I literally just finished an assignment on different types of interruptions. lol 

3 minutes ago, Lockylocks said:

I hate it and hate it, even more, when I catch myself doing it. I'm an introvert, I guess, but on the rare occasion, I actually have a real conversation with someone that isn't pointless small talk I sometimes get excited and might interrupt. Although, I stick to the subject and don't steer the conversation to something completely different. I find it insulting. I guess it depends on whether the content of the interruption is important. If it adds to the conversation and helps it flow, then it might not be so bad. 

I literally just finished an assignment on different types of interruptions. lol 

LOL. I should have asked you to join me in last night ;) You could have gotten some field research!

So, that's the thing--the hijacking. I'm the same. I tend to get really excited about stuff. A lot. even on aven I start off convos with OMG or !!!. But yeah, I always try to steer it back.

Definitely no flow. Then, I got upset about it. So, I was honest. And it was totally okay. Until the afternoon when the guy didn't feel bad about it anymore lol

I don't think some of those interruptions really added any substance, given by the "okay, so as I was saying" liners I had to throw in, until I just threw in the towel. 

Oh god, those were 36 seconds of awkward I'll never get back. 
I'm sure that's just how he is and does it to everyone he talks. Maybe you're the first person to have pointed it out to him. Doubt he'll change although maybe it'll stick in the back of his mind making him wonder how often he does it.  

3 minutes ago, Lockylocks said:

Oh god, those were 36 seconds of awkward I'll never get back. 
I'm sure that's just how he is and does it to everyone he talks. Maybe you're the first person to have pointed it out to him. Doubt he'll change although maybe it'll stick in the back of his mind making him wonder how often he does it.  

So, that's the funny part I forgot to mention. When I called him out on it, he said that someone close to him had pointed it out before. Then, I guess he started to justify it a lot afterwards. But yes, maybe there will be an frustrated kingcakedonut in the back of his mind :ph34r:

To quote Shinzo, "Please look at me." HAHA!

Archived