Doctor Visits

nerdperson777

nerdperson777

I just had a doctor's physical checkup after not having one for 3-4 years due to being in college.  I was asked about tests that check my AFAB reproductive organs.  I heard that ace people probably don't need pap smears if they're not engaging in any activity?  I kind of want to know what kind tests I can get out of.  I was told that I would need to be checked for cervical cancer, don't think I can get out of that one.  I'm also not sure if I feel uneasy about it because of my gender or asexuality.  Maybe both.

It depends on how tolerant the doctor is. Before I moved I had a good OBYN. They were one of the FEW good doctors I've had. 

I've had too many bad doctor experiences, that I'd rather just avoid it too. 

In my own personal experience, pap-smears don't bother me. 

I can't stand doctors anymore, half of them aren't even nice and all they're in it for is the money. The other thing that bothers me is how stuck on the binary they are in regards to gender. 

13 minutes ago, nerdperson777 said:

I just had a doctor's physical checkup after not having one for 3-4 years due to being in college.  I was asked about tests that check my AFAB reproductive organs.  I heard that ace people probably don't need pap smears if they're not engaging in any activity?  I kind of want to know what kind tests I can get out of.  I was told that I would need to be checked for cervical cancer, don't think I can get out of that one.  I'm also not sure if I feel uneasy about it because of my gender or asexuality.  Maybe both.

Why are you getting tested at all? Is it mandatory? I not been to the doctor in years. 

Pap smears are the cervical cancer screening. If it's any consolation, it literally takes a second. They will ask if they need to test for STDs but if you're not sexually active you can have them skip it. I recently went in for my annual exam and I was in and out of the appointment within 20 minutes, and that's including waiting for the doctor and a long discussion about IUDs. The actual exam was about 5 minutes.

nerdperson777
Just now, Toothlesss said:

I can't stand doctors anymore, half of them aren't even nice and all they're in it for is the money. The other thing that bothers me is how stuck on the binary they are in regards to gender. 

My doctor knew what I was talking about when I said that in the future that I may want to take testosterone.  She said that she could refer me elsewhere for hormone services so her answers were not as bad as it could've been.  Don't know if she knew what I meant by me being in between but I know I could get worse reactions.

Just now, Sherlocks said:

Why are you getting tested at all? Is it mandatory? I not been to the doctor in years. 

I'm not actually sure.  I said that I would think about it, concerning the reproductive tests so I don't think it's mandatory.  It was just said that for ages 21 and older, should have tests.

nerdperson777
1 minute ago, slim said:

Pap smears are the cervical cancer screening. If it's any consolation, it literally takes a second. They will ask if they need to test for STDs but if you're not sexually active you can have them skip it. I recently went in for my annual exam and I was in and out of the appointment within 20 minutes, and that's including waiting for the doctor and a long discussion about IUDs. The actual exam was about 5 minutes.

I guess I'm a bit insecure about getting touched in areas like that.  My mom occasionally gets mammograms and she tells me about smashing boobs one way and another like pancakes.  I don't look forward to having those.  Since I haven't had any tests before, I'm not sure what to expect.

5 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

Preventative medicine saves lives. The occasional pap smear is infinitely preferable to cancer. Also, in individuals who receive hormone replacement, risk of cancer and other conditions related to reproductive organs can be drastically increased, making it even more important.

2 minutes ago, nerdperson777 said:

I guess I'm a bit insecure about getting touched in areas like that.  My mom occasionally gets mammograms and she tells me about smashing boobs one way and another like pancakes.  I don't look forward to having those.  Since I haven't had any tests before, I'm not sure what to expect.

I can walk you through what exams are like, if you want. I've never had a mammogram (not old enough to warrant one yet) but I do know there's a new method available that doesn't crush your boobs. Worth asking about if that's something you worry about

nerdperson777
Just now, slim said:

I can walk you through what exams are like, if you want. I've never had a mammogram (not old enough to warrant one yet) but I do know there's a new method available that doesn't crush your boobs. Worth asking about if that's something you worry about

A description of what tests to get would probably be nice.  I probably don't need to know about mammograms just yet.

No no no common misconception but no. You still need a pap smear.

2 minutes ago, nerdperson777 said:

A description of what tests to get would probably be nice.  I probably don't need to know about mammograms just yet.

There's not really a barrage of tests- basically, they have you undress and get in the "stirrups" under a modesty drape. Doc will insert speculum (they come in different sizes so if you're worried about pain ask them to start with the small one) and perform a manual exam. They will insert a couple fingers in the vaginal canal and place the other hand on your lower abdomen over uterus/ovaries to palpate for any abnormalities. In my experience, this is painless and very quick. The doctor will then do the pap smear. This consists of swabbing the cervix with what looks like a really long Q-tip. You'll feel this and it won't be fun, but I've never known it to be painful or super invasive. It's a very brief moment of discomfort when they actually swab and then it's over. Your doc will probably want to do a manual exam of your breasts; they will palpate around your breasts and armpits feeling for lumps or irregularities. Your doctor should be telling you exactly what they're doing at any given time, but I imagine if knowing makes you more uncomfortable you could ask them not to, not that I recommend it.

Notes: I personally always feel more comfortable with a female doctor. Your doctor will not care what things look like downstairs, so just shower as usual and don't sweat it. The exam should not hurt and should go pretty quickly. They'll ask about your sexual history and will take your height/weight but their interest is purely medical. STD testing is optional. If cancer is something you worry about you might want to ask about the HPV vaccine.

27 minutes ago, slim said:

Preventative medicine saves lives. The occasional pap smear is infinitely preferable to cancer. Also, in individuals who receive hormone replacement, risk of cancer and other conditions related to reproductive organs can be drastically increased, making it even more important.

^^^
It's not mandatory. No one is forcing you to get any of these tests, but it is the only way to find out, especially if you're at high risk for any illness these exams are designed to detect. Being ace and not sexually active may save you from contracting STDs but cancer doesn't really care about your orientation. 

Even saying this I have never and don't plan on going to the doctor for any of these exams. I know you can elect to skip certain parts like the STD test if you want. Partly for me it's being uncomfortable/embarrassed and not really caring about my own health which keep me away from the doctor's office. 

nerdperson777
2 hours ago, slim said:

There's not really a barrage of tests- basically, they have you undress and get in the "stirrups" under a modesty drape. Doc will insert speculum (they come in different sizes so if you're worried about pain ask them to start with the small one) and perform a manual exam. They will insert a couple fingers in the vaginal canal and place the other hand on your lower abdomen over uterus/ovaries to palpate for any abnormalities. In my experience, this is painless and very quick. The doctor will then do the pap smear. This consists of swabbing the cervix with what looks like a really long Q-tip. You'll feel this and it won't be fun, but I've never known it to be painful or super invasive. It's a very brief moment of discomfort when they actually swab and then it's over. Your doc will probably want to do a manual exam of your breasts; they will palpate around your breasts and armpits feeling for lumps or irregularities. Your doctor should be telling you exactly what they're doing at any given time, but I imagine if knowing makes you more uncomfortable you could ask them not to, not that I recommend it.

Notes: I personally always feel more comfortable with a female doctor. Your doctor will not care what things look like downstairs, so just shower as usual and don't sweat it. The exam should not hurt and should go pretty quickly. They'll ask about your sexual history and will take your height/weight but their interest is purely medical. STD testing is optional. If cancer is something you worry about you might want to ask about the HPV vaccine.

I think I'm uncomfortable with the thought of having something put inside me.  But it will be something that needs to be done for health checks.  I think with my mom's views in my head, I also think it's better with a female doctor.  I can opt out of STD testing then.  And I have to check if I have the vaccine yet.

Ha…I, too, am very nervous about this. I'm awful, I'm 23 and I've yet to visit a gynecologist. I know I'm overdue, and I'm mentally working myself up to it so I can go soon. (TMI warning: I also suspect I may have vaginismus, so that'll make for a very, very uncomfortable visit if I'm correct.) So, no advice, but I relate. Also, friends have assured me that the doctor wants you to be comfortable and will help you relax, so that's good.

• 2 weeks later...
The Emerald
On 2/22/2017 at 2:27 PM, Frodo said:

Ha…I, too, am very nervous about this. I'm awful, I'm 23 and I've yet to visit a gynecologist. I know I'm overdue, and I'm mentally working myself up to it so I can go soon. (TMI warning: I also suspect I may have vaginismus, so that'll make for a very, very uncomfortable visit if I'm correct.) So, no advice, but I relate. Also, friends have assured me that the doctor wants you to be comfortable and will help you relax, so that's good.

I too am 23 and never gone to the Gyno - and I plan not to. I honestly think it will do more harm than good.

Cat Lady Lisa

Hi, I'm ace and have vaginismus, and find sex (before I knew about asexuality, when I was trying to make myself like sex to be 'normal') extremely painful. Had my first smear test a couple of years ago and was expecting it to be difficult and painful, but it was nothing like trying to have sex. The nurse used the smallest speculum and was very gentle, it was cold and felt a bit odd, but didn't hurt at all. The scraping wasn't unpleasant either, don't know if this is a common experience but I found it REALLY ticklish and couldn't stop laughing! So it was a positive experience overall and the vaginismus didn't make it difficult like I feared it would. It only lasts a few minutes so try to relax and I hope everything goes ok for you :)