Hello All

Conby

Hello All! This is a little awkward for me, but I'm a 26 year old female from the UK. I am asexual and deep down I've known this from being about 12 years old. I've never had any desires for a sexual relationship and do not have any wish to be sexually intimate with another person. Of course that doesn't mean that I'm incapable of love. To be honest I've always been pretty okay with not having any sexual desires. It's not something that I ever actually researched until today because it's not something I really thought about too much. During my teenage years I pretended to have crushes on boys, but that was simply so people wouldn't ask questions. I just figured that I was different than everybody else and I came to terms with that. It was a little lonely I guess not understanding why I felt this way, but I just carried on trying not to pay too much attention to those feelings. Anyway, my father has recently started questioning why I've never had a relationship or why I have no desire to get married. I have tried explaining that it's just something that I don't want, that I never will want, but he wasn't particularly keen on that answer. He thinks there's something wrong with me. He thinks I'm a freak. Usually I try not to take notice of what people think, but he's my dad and right now he's making me feel quite low about myself. Why is my being asexual so offensive to him? It's not the first time I've encountered this, but this is different because it's my dad. 

Wow, your story is really, really similar to mine with the exception of having told my parents (I haven't). I only joined yesterday, so I know the newbie feels. I hope you like it here on AVEN, they all seem really great and welcoming and supportive.

Hello Cascade! Yes, it's a little daunting I guess, especially when I didn't even realise I wasn't alone in my feelings. I honestly only found AVEN this morning in an article that I read. Thank you for dropping me a line. I'm sure I'll like it here, especially if everyone is as kind as you. x

Welcome to AVEN! :cake: Thank you for joining and sharing your story with us. I'm glad you found your way here. : ) You're not alone! I'm sorry that your father is treating you that way. You're not a freak...I hope that he will grow to understand your feelings. Have you mentioned the word asexuality to him at all? Perhaps you could show him some information about it. But only do what you're comfortable with. Again, you're among friends here, so take your time exploring. I hope you enjoy being a member!

Related image

Thank you kelico for both the cake and the lovely welcome. It's greatly appreciated. No, I haven't mentioned the word asexuality. After his reaction, I wasn't too sure that he'd understand. I am seeing him later today though, so I guess I'll give it a go. Thank you, I don't think I realised just how much I needed this;- talking to others who understand and not having to pretend to be something that I'm not. It gets hard after a while. x

Archived