Cisfemale binding???

Blxxding

I have a question. Is it okay for a cis-female to bind? 

My boyfriend is a trans-guy, and he binds a lot because he is not comfortable with his chest. I am 100% female and there are no questions about it, but I don't enjoy having breasts. They don't bother me, but ever since I was young, I always said I wanted my uterus and breasts removed. 

I don't want him or anyone in my friend group to notice and call it out and then be interrogated, but I also don't feel comfortable saying anything. I also want to avoid offending him or any other trans-person in my friend group because I am a cisfemale (many are trans-males and non-binary). 

Also, I know nothing about binding or where I could get a binder. I heard athletic tape will work and it's cheaper. It'd also be a lot easier to hide from my family, as they are not very supportive and understanding. 

Thank you!

I don't know, but I'm really interested in what answers you get.

Although, for the most part, I'm of the opinion of "you do you." But if you're really worried about it, you could do the same thing that women with large breasts do when working out, and double up on sports bras, I guess.

Luftschlosseule

Why wouldn't it be okay?

My boyfriend is a trans-guy, and he binds a lot because he is not comfortable with his chest. I am 100% female and there are no questions about it, but I don't enjoy having breasts. They don't bother me, but ever since I was young, I always said I wanted my uterus and breasts removed.

So it sounds like you, too, are not comfortable with your chest.
Maybe the person to ask your boyfriend, if he had a problem with that.

sir octepus tea

wearing a binder in and of itself when you are cis is not bad. What is bad is if you´d enter giveaways specifically for trans/nb people and/or posing as trans/nb to get it cheaper. 

buying one with your own money is ok. 

don´t bind with sports tape or ace bandages for crying out loud. google gc2b and you have a reputable lgbt-owned company that sell high quality binders at a pretty good price, that don´t warp your ribs or cause you harm. don´t wear it more than eight hours, take it off if it hurts. 

talking to your boyfriend about it could be a really good outlet.  they obviously understand being uncomfortable with parts of their own body. so explaining to them that you don't feel trans but that you would feel more at ease without a chest shouldn't be that difficult for them to comprehend or accept.  I am not trans, and i still love to throw on make up occasionally and wear feminine things.. but i don't want a chest and wear sports bras and such to minimize their appearance.  

Really interested on the answers I hope this continues to get because I relate to your story and feelings.

You can wear whatever the hell you want to without the permission of other people  and if binding makes you more comfortable I don’t see any argument against doing it. Honestly, any person who would get offended by that would be completely ridiculous and would just make a fool out of himself.

Of course you can! Just like others said, don't enter giveaways intended for trans people. And do NOT use tape or bandages. Some people on here are going around saying kinesio tape is safe but it is not (for long term. A day cosplaying is fine but not for months at a time.) I second GC2B- they have a bunch of different colors including skin tones that are really great, and they're very well made.

7 hours ago, Blxxding said:

I have a question. Is it okay for a cis-female to bind? 

I don't want him or anyone in my friend group to notice and call it out and then be interrogated, but I also don't feel comfortable saying anything. I also want to avoid offending him or any other trans-person in my friend group because I am a cisfemale (many are trans-males and non-binary). 

Also, I know nothing about binding or where I could get a binder. I heard athletic tape will work and it's cheaper. It'd also be a lot easier to hide from my family, as they are not very supportive and understanding. 

Thank you!

Firstly there are special tops for this 

http://transguys.com/features/chest-binding

https://www.wish.com/c/57777418c201ac784c72e8fd?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=pla4&_display_country_code=US&gclid=CjwKEAiAxKrFBRDm25f60OegtwwSJABgEC-ZHJ2xradiItaSoSw7fVgrSoCiI_dPHATRKonySVKVExoCPXjw_wcB

Generally, its considered bad to use tape and people say you should use gaws/wraps instead 

Also when you are bound you are not supposed to go over a time limit or can hurt your ribs and mess up your back 

You are only suppose to be bound for up to 4 hours at a time or risk injury 

This method is often used by female cosplayers who want to dress like male characters 

There are also other methods such as layers where you will do something like (Bra, two tanks, tight shirt, Tshirt) 

Those are the methods I know of for binding 

I've known the occasional cisfemale who binds. one of them said she planned on top surgery in the future. it's uncommon but not unheard of. I doubt it would be rude to anyone trans. at least, personally I have a hard time seeing how it would be rude. 

"Safe" methods of binding: (long term use is always a problem and it's very debatable which binding method is the best as they all have pros and cons and people have different body types)

• A real binder (strapless GC2B ones are safer)
  • sports/unpadded/cupless bras x2
  • KT/sports tape under the armpits
  • Camisoles
  • Belly sweatbands
  • Clothing layering
  • Compression/gynecomastia vests
  • Swim suits
  • Baggy clothes some sizes bigger
  • Vests
  • Sports/unpadded/cupless bra some sizes smaller
  • Chest harness
  • Button ups
  • Pattern or dark shirts

What NOT TO USE: (it'll f#ck your body up)

• Ace bandages
  • Duct tape
  • Corsets
  • DIY binders
  • Saran wrap/plastic
  • Belts

I'm unsure about postural back bands.

1 hour ago, ChillaKilla said:

Of course you can! Just like others said, don't enter giveaways intended for trans people. And do NOT use tape or bandages. Some people on here are going around saying kinesio tape is safe but it is not (for long term. A day cosplaying is fine but not for months at a time.) I second GC2B- they have a bunch of different colors including skin tones that are really great, and they're very well made.

KT tape is as safe as a binder as long as you use it properly and respect your body limits, (binders have away more serious risks than tape, including asthma, acid reflux, lung damage, skin irritation, rib damage etc, specially if you get the wrong size or wear them for a long time).

The worst tape can do is damage your ribs, but there's tricks on how to avoid it when placing the tape. Skin irritation is also an common issue, so don't use tape if you're latex allergic, and there's products to make it less likely. If you are afraid of hurting your skin, you can use tissue under the tape.

I agree with the others that I think you just need to make sure you don't portray yourself as nb or trans.  I have been considering getting a binder for the same reason, but for now I'm comfortable just wearing sports bras all the time.  

Yeah, I think it's fine. Although I don't really think it's something to "hide" from your boyfriend (but that's more for having a healthy relationship)

GC2B is generally the most recommended, as said above, so I'd also suggest looking at them. They can be a bit pricey though, especially if shipping to another country other than the U.S... Sometimes sports stores will have compression vests, which may not bind as well, but a cheaper option. I don't really have any experience with them.

And definitely don't bind with bandages or tape (some people are saying sports tape is okay but, I dunno, I don't think it's worth it)

2 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

You are only suppose to be bound for up to 4 hours at a time or risk injury 

Actually, it's normally said to be up to 8 hours. You should build up to this (so don't bind for 8 hours the first time you put your binder on) but most importantly, listen to your body. If you feel uncomfortable after 2 hours, take it off, maybe rest a day or two, and try not to bind every day anyway.

On 02/20/2017 at 4:04 PM, Simowl said:

Yeah, I think it's fine. Although I don't really think it's something to "hide" from your boyfriend (but that's more for having a healthy relationship)

GC2B is generally the most recommended, as said above, so I'd also suggest looking at them. They can be a bit pricey though, especially if shipping to another country other than the U.S... Sometimes sports stores will have compression vests, which may not bind as well, but a cheaper option. I don't really have any experience with them.

And definitely don't bind with bandages or tape (some people are saying sports tape is okay but, I dunno, I don't think it's worth it)

Actually, it's normally said to be up to 8 hours. You should build up to this (so don't bind for 8 hours the first time you put your binder on) but most importantly, listen to your body. If you feel uncomfortable after 2 hours, take it off, maybe rest a day or two, and try not to bind every day anyway.

The time limits are different for each method and also based on people's personal experiences, some people say 8 hours bc it's very common their body starts to feel "weird" past 8 hours on a real binder, other people says 6 hours on a real binder. I guess it's all up to you, if you can only feel good for 4 hours, stop past 4 hours, if you can stay good for 6 hours, do 6 hours, etc, just please don't sleep binding nor stay with it 24/7.

12 hours ago, Blxxding said:

I relate to this sentiment a lot; I'm looking into safe and easy ways to bind also.

For now, I have a super-intense sports bra that I wear fairly frequently that squishes me from a D-cup to the appearance of a B-cup. It does wonders for making me feel less weird about my body fat distribution.

nerdperson777

Underworks has a sports bra on their site.  There's not many reviews directly on the site for their stuff but the sports bra was recommended there by a cis female doing cosplay.  I'm not sure how different is is from a regular sports bra, maybe lighter?

Archived