A little bit lost.

kayfaraday

Hello. I'm sure this sort of post comes up often, but does this make sense/sound familiar? Somehow, I just have this weird need to ask.

Up until I discovered the concept of asexuality as a possibility, I assumed there was something wrong with me. I'd probably never have had anything to do with sex if I hadn't grown up viewing it as a pre-requisite to making someone happy. (I'm romantic.) I've always approached it from more of a thinking space than a drive space and I blamed my lack of drive on anxiety, body image (I actually don't hate my body), on the idea that maybe I hadn't figured out what worked yet.

For a while, I thought if I could just find something/someone that worked--maybe that was all I needed. Sometimes, I still wonder is that's the case. On very rare occasions I am interested in the physical sensations of it, but if I never had it again, I feel like I'd be fine. I've experienced sexual attraction on a handful of occasions. Of those, it's mostly been sensual attraction--I really wasn't up for anything further.

I think this description fits my understanding of grey-ace, but I struggle with concepts of authenticity. It leaves me wondering if I can safely lean into some kind of acceptance (this is just how I am) or if I should still be trying to find ways to change. 

I don't know why I seem to feel the need for validation. I've been the way I am since, well, always. Still... does this make any sense at all?

Hi, welcome to AVEN. We're glad to have you.

Feeling a need for validation is normal.

You're also normal for not having a sex drive. 

Not all people will need sex from their partner to be happy.

You're enough the way you are.

I accept how you are. however that is. I hope you can too :) 

I think if you think grey-ace works, then it works. I my self am grey. I resonate with some of the things you say. For me, I can feel attracted to a person sexually. but I just don't feel any drive for sex - and if I really imagine anything more than cuddling or a little kissing, it just seems kinda foreign and strange. I've had sex before- and honestly, it wasn't for me... 

I don't really know a good definition for grey-ace to be honest. I generally speaking, think of it as the middle-ground between ace and sexual. I could tell I was grey because I could tell that I was very different from an ace - but at the same time, I'm very different from a sexual. I have a hard time fully identifying with either group fully. something feels off either way. but it's kinda funny - any grey ace I've met, even if they're story is so different from mine, I just feel like they are "my group" xD A certain level of uncertainty about what we want - as well as a certain level of interest in, well, something...

Thank you both. (Also, sorry for the late reply.) I feel like I've spent years being given the message that it wasn't real or was something that would one day change.

I'm really not a fan of the phrase "late bloomer" (in terms of how it is sometimes used, I do not mean to disparage anyone who finds it useful for self-identification). 

I am not sitting here waiting for the day that I am able to transform, for a brief moment, into something appealing to someone else. 

Archived