Why isn't asexuality a mental disorder?

Hello! Perhaps reading Ritch Savin-Williams' recent article on "Asexuality: A Brief Primer" on Psychology Today's website might help answer your question. To give a short, quick answer, basically, it was down to sex researchers, like Anthony Bogaert, who were willing to interview asexuals and study whether their sexual organs were working properly, to help them determine that they their sexuality wasn't a pathology.

I'm very grateful that they did. Otherwise, I would've felt even worse about myself, thinking I had a disorder, and would've continued to feel that I had to try to become heterosexual in order to be considered "normal" in society.

I think one criteria for something being a mental disorder is that is causes distress and/or interferes with one's life. In which case, it's not necessarily the condition that is the disorder - it's the distress. In other words, it's not asexuality in and of itself that is a disorder (whether mental or physical - why would it necessarily be mental?). Anyway, why should sexual orientation be a disorder? You might as well ask the same any sexuality. Do you want it to be classified as a disorder? If so, why? For myself and many others it is not a disorder. It's just part of who we are as healthy (even happy, well-adjusted and/or productive) people.

Of course, I'm not a doctor of any sort.

18 minutes ago, yourcaptaiin said:

I'm openly asexual and I fail to understand why it stopped being considered a mental disorder.

Why should it be? (serious question, I'm not trying to mock you or anything)

Wiki provides the following definition: "A mental disorder, also called a mental illness or psychiatric disorder, is a diagnosis by a mental health professional of a behavioral or mental pattern that may cause suffering or a poor ability to function in life. Such features may be persistent, relapsing and remitting, or occur as a single episode."

Now I don't suffer because of not wanting to fuck, nor do I function less well because of not wanting to fuck.

I mean yeah, it can occur as a side-effect of a variety of mental disorders, but there are also a lot of folks out there who are perfectly healthy. Why would you "label" (blergh) them mentally disordered?

NerotheReaper

Why should any sexuality be considered a mental disorder? There is nothing wrong with someone who isn't the average heterosexual. Saying that asexuality is a mental disorder is like how they used to think in the older days "homosexuality is a mental disorder" So why should we categorize any sexuality other than heterosexuality into something being wrong with the person? 

Mental disorders are serious issues where they interfere with someone's life, a lot of people here have jobs and go to school. A lot of us here are happy and live fulfilling lives that are just missing the sex part. That isn't such a bad thing right? 

1 minute ago, NerotheReaper said:

A lot of us here are happy and live fulfilling lives that are just missing the sex part.

I doubt that they're "missing" the sex part. It's just not there.

NerotheReaper
Just now, Homer said:

I doubt that they're "missing" the sex part. It's just not there.

"Missing" as in it is absent. Not a longing. 

Anthracite_Impreza

Mental disorders cause distress, my anxiety and depression cause distress. My asexuality doesn't.

5 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

Even if they thought so its not like its harmful. 

Well I guess one could create a spin where not wanting to fuck means that your view of the world is soooo different that you just don't "get" certain things which are seen as a given in relationships. As in "Ace moments that became serious / dangerous".

41 minutes ago, NerotheReaper said:

"Missing" as in it is absent. Not a longing. 

It's not absent.  That implies a vacancy, a space that's not filled, as in an abnormality.  We're not people who are missing something, as in an abnormality.  We simply don't want something.      

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Well I guess one could create a spin where not wanting to fuck means that your view of the world is soooo different that you just don't "get" certain things which are seen as a given in relationships. As in "Ace moments that became serious / dangerous".

One can understand normal humans if they simply watch them. I don't see why its a disorder. Just means you are less likely to fall into traps. Love makes people crazy isn't it better to lack the trigger? 

9 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

One can understand normal humans if they simply watch them. I don't see why its a disorder. Just means you are less likely to fall into traps. Love makes people crazy isn't it better to lack the trigger? 

First sentence: Big fat nope.

One could watch people for years, perhaps figuring out behavioural patterns. That alone wouldn't make you understand shit. It would make you see "People are doing x in [situation]". But why are they doing what they're doing? That's not something you'll get from simply watching them.

Last sentence: Fully agreed.

Just now, Homer said:

First sentence: Big fat nope.

One could watch people for years, perhaps figuring out behavioural patterns. That alone wouldn't make you understand shit. It would make you see "People are doing x in [situation]". But why are they doing what they're doing? That's not something you'll get from simply watching them.

Of course, it is. I do it all the time. Everything in life is about putting on a good show. 

Silly example to clarify my point. Let's assume someone punched themselves in the face every time they pass a certain house by the street. You watch that person do this every day for a week, a month, a year. Bang, pattern discovered. But WHY do they do this? It's highly likely that you won't figure it out just by watching them punch themselves. But that's crucial to understand their actions.

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

Silly example to clarify my point. Let's assume someone punched themselves in the face every time they pass a certain house by the street. You watch that person do this every day for a week, a month, a year. Bang, pattern discovered. But WHY do they do this? It's highly likely that you won't figure it out just by watching them punch themselves. But that's crucial to understand their actions.

We have an entire field of study dedicated to reading people's actions. 

reading =/= understanding. That's what I'm saying.

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

reading =/= understanding. That's what I'm saying.

If you can guess a serial killer motives by his crimes why can you not guess a persons by their actions/inactions? 

4 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

If you can guess a serial killer motives by his crimes why can you not guess a persons by their actions/inactions? 

Nobody said that you couldn't guess. It's still a long way from guessing to understanding.

Just now, Homer said:

Nobody said that you couldn't guess. It's still a long way from guessing to understanding.

If you can figure out why a person did something then you have an understanding of that person and how they process things. 

You can understand 

*how a person thinks

*how most people behave 

*What is commonly considered traumatic

*how to deal with someone who has been in a traumatic situation

*What patterns equal what consequence 

*What is socially acceptable 

*What a person's motives are 

*How you are expected to behave around who 

*What most people find attractive 

What exactly is not being understood? 

1 hour ago, daveb said:

I think one criteria for something being a mental disorder is that is causes distress and/or interferes with one's life. In which case, it's not necessarily the condition that is the disorder - it's the distress. In other words, it's not asexuality in and of itself that is a disorder (whether mental or physical - why would it necessarily be mental?). Anyway, why should sexual orientation be a disorder? You might as well ask the same any sexuality. Do you want it to be classified as a disorder? If so, why? For myself and many others it is not a disorder. It's just part of who we are as healthy (even happy, well-adjusted and/or productive) people.

Of course, I'm not a doctor of any sort.

Count me in on that. Reading the posts in Off-A, we have a lot of varying interests, just like the sexual person across the bus from you.

Because mental illnesses/disorder are defined based on a moral compass. Just like homosexuality, asexuality stopped being considered a mental illness/disorder when it became more accepted.

I know you're a libertarian so I'll phrase it like this: Do you want to inadvertently encourage an increase in government-funded inpatient facilities due to people being institutionalized because they think asexuality is some terrible illness? Knowing that might increase taxes?

/cynicism

Because "mental disorder" is usually reserved for things which inhibit the individual's life and/or causes distress. The is still "hypo sexual dysfunction disorder" on the books but, like I've just mentioned, is usually reserved for those who display distress over their feelings and thoughts or lack thereof.

"Sorry boss, can't work today. I've got a bad case of the...aces..."

26 minutes ago, Sherlocks said:

What exactly is not being understood? 

At this point I believe that it's just me failing at expressing myself properly, tbh.

Anthracite_Impreza
17 minutes ago, ChillaKilla said:

"Sorry boss, can't work today. I've got a bad case of the...aces..."

I want time off to drool over the new Mercedes down the road.